Posted to rec.woodworking
bremen68

Default Lexan polycarbonate Source...

Looking for a source for a Lexan strip. I'd like to get a strip 1/4" X
1/4" X 8' (Shorter down to 4' would probably work too)

More supplies for my little slot car project.

I know I can get squares and such at the BORG's but wasn't sure if
anyone knew of a place that makes this kind of item and what the cost
would be.

I'm open to suggestions for alternatives. It's going to be used as a
guide for routing curves on MDF board. It will be drilled every 1.5"
for nail holes to pin it down.

I'm pulling a blank on what else I could use. It needs to be stiff
enough to be able to guide the router, but flexible enough to do a
decent radius curve.

As always....Thanks for your help.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Oleg Lego

The bremen68 entity posted thusly:

Looking for a source for a Lexan strip. I'd like to get a strip 1/4" X
1/4" X 8' (Shorter down to 4' would probably work too)

Try any place that does glass (windows, etc.) work. They usually have
lots of Lexan, though I don't know how the availability of that size.

More supplies for my little slot car project.

I know I can get squares and such at the BORG's but wasn't sure if
anyone knew of a place that makes this kind of item and what the cost
would be.

I'm open to suggestions for alternatives. It's going to be used as a
guide for routing curves on MDF board. It will be drilled every 1.5"
for nail holes to pin it down.

I'm pulling a blank on what else I could use. It needs to be stiff
enough to be able to guide the router, but flexible enough to do a
decent radius curve.

I'd use something thinner, and lay out the lines with a pencil, onto
1/4" hardboard, then cut/sand the hardboard, making a template. Then
use a guide bushing and a straight bit in your router to cut the slot
(assuming it's a slot you want to cut). Don't forget to allow for the
offset from the bushing to the bit.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rick M

"bremen68" wrote

Looking for a source for a Lexan strip. I'd like to get a strip 1/4" X
1/4" X 8' (Shorter down to 4' would probably work too)

I call that scrap that I have to discard! You have several choices here ...

1. Find your local industrial plastics distributor(s) in your local area,
and ask them if they might let you pick through their scrap bin for what you
need. Also check with your local glass distributors ... they use
polycarbonate sometimes (they mostly use Plexiglass - Methyl Acrylic, which
resists scratching, but doesn't bend like polycarbonate) ... can't hurt to
ask, but be sure to ask whether it's plexiglas or Lexan.

2. McMaster Carr has polycarbonate rod 1/4" diameter available as part
number 8571K12, $0.85/foot, sold in 8' pieces. This isn't square cross
section, so you may want to look at their other offerings. Here's a 0.22" x
1" x 48" piece (use it on edge?), P/N 1749K12 for $3.48 each.

3. Consider using 3/8" copper tubing. It bends easily and will hold its
shape fairly well. Available at home centers and hardware stores everywhere.

I'd offer you stuff from my scrap pile but unless you're close to NC you're
better off buying what you need.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Posted to rec.woodworking
arw01

DAGS for scrollsawing wood and lexan. It might be mikes thin woods,
but one of them had 24"x24" x whatever pieces of lexan quite
resonable..

Alan

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

I'd use hardboard to make the curve - just cut a 1" strip of 1/4" or
1/8" hardboard, 8' long or whatever you need. Then 3 finish nails -
one at each end and one in the middle of the curve (or at the apex of
each curve if you're doing multiple curves). Then use the strip of
hardboard propped on its edge, bent around the nails. Does that make
sense? I can email a picture if you really need it.
If you're anywhere near central New York I actually have an extra 8'
strip of hardboard... And I'm sure the borg has 4' squares of clear
1/8" acrylic or lexan or whatever the flexible stuff is, and it's easy
to cut that stuff into strips also. I'd be careful drilling if you use
the 1/4"x1/4" strip method - it seems like it would tend to break at
the drill holes.
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"Andy" wrote in message
ups.com...

If you're anywhere near central New York I actually have an extra 8'
strip of hardboard...

Where in CNY Andy?

--

-Mike-

Survey: A Little Feedback For Cliff BottleBob Metalworking 165 May 24th 05 09:32 PM
Try this Gunner Cliff Metalworking 417 April 26th 05 08:30 PM
OT - Delay, Delay Cliff Metalworking 127 April 21st 05 09:06 AM
Pearl Harbor Walt LeRoy Metalworking 77 December 15th 03 06:36 AM