Posted to rec.woodworking
Rudy Fichtenbaum

Default question about ripping

Whenever I rip boards on my table saw the piece between the blade and
the fence is perfectly smooth but the piece on the outside of the blade
is always rough. I check the alignment of my saw blade and the fence
alignment and both are dead on. Does anyone have any idea about what
causes this problem and what I can do to fix it?

Rudy
Posted to rec.woodworking
Seeker

Possible that side of the blade is damaged.
Posted to rec.woodworking
www

"Rudy Fichtenbaum" wrote in message
m...
Whenever I rip boards on my table saw the piece between the blade and
the fence is perfectly smooth but the piece on the outside of the blade
is always rough. I check the alignment of my saw blade and the fence
alignment and both are dead on. Does anyone have any idea about what
causes this problem and what I can do to fix it?

Rudy

The offcut side has no other support to keep it steady/aligned and may move
in and out against the blade slightly as you make the cut giving a rough
edge perhaps?

Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Ryobi One+ Cordless Tool System
- Festool CT Mini Dust Extractor
- Kreg K3 Pocket Hole Joinery System
- Incra Miter Express
- Book: Scroll Saw Fundamentals
- Ryobi BT3100K Table Saw System

Posted to rec.woodworking
stoutman

"Rudy Fichtenbaum" wrote in message
m...
Whenever I rip boards on my table saw the piece between the blade and the
fence is perfectly smooth but the piece on the outside of the blade is
always rough. I check the alignment of my saw blade and the fence
alignment and both are dead on. Does anyone have any idea about what
causes this problem and what I can do to fix it?

Rudy

Blade alignment?? Low quality blade??

Watch this video (i found it useful anyway...)

http://www.ts-aligner.com/tablesaw.htm

--
Stoutman
http://home.triad.rr.com/brianmeliss...ing_frames.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking
klaatu

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 00:59:54 GMT, Rudy Fichtenbaum
wrote:

Whenever I rip boards on my table saw the piece between the blade and
the fence is perfectly smooth but the piece on the outside of the blade
is always rough. I check the alignment of my saw blade and the fence
alignment and both are dead on. Does anyone have any idea about what
causes this problem and what I can do to fix it?

Rudy

Rudy, Do you have a General saw? If so that could be the problem.

Posted to rec.woodworking
klaatu

wrote:

Whenever I rip boards on my table saw the piece between the blade and
the fence is perfectly smooth but the piece on the outside of the blade
is always rough. I check the alignment of my saw blade and the fence
alignment and both are dead on. Does anyone have any idea about what
causes this problem and what I can do to fix it?

Rudy, Do you have a General saw? If so that could be the problem.

How the heck could having a General be the problem?

Chris

Chris, I have a General contractor saw 50-185L M1.
The arbor bracket pn 50175 is not machined corrrectly.
The bearing holes and pivot hole are not parrallel. So the
blade goes out of allignment when raising or lowering.
If the blade is in allignment when set at 1" depth of cut, it will
angle over to left at 3" depth of cut. If Rudy has the same condition
the back of the blade will cut on the back side and give the described
rough cut.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Rudy Fichtenbaum" wrote in message
m...
Whenever I rip boards on my table saw the piece between the blade and the
fence is perfectly smooth but the piece on the outside of the blade is
always rough. I check the alignment of my saw blade and the fence
alignment and both are dead on. Does anyone have any idea about what
causes this problem and what I can do to fix it?

Rudy

Dead on parallel, as in better than .001? Are you using a feather board
"IN FRONT" of the blade? Are you using a Splitter? Does this happen with
other types of wood? Are you using a premium quality blade?

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"www" wrote in message
u...

"Rudy Fichtenbaum" wrote in message
m...
Whenever I rip boards on my table saw the piece between the blade and
the fence is perfectly smooth but the piece on the outside of the blade
is always rough. I check the alignment of my saw blade and the fence
alignment and both are dead on. Does anyone have any idea about what
causes this problem and what I can do to fix it?

Rudy

The offcut side has no other support to keep it steady/aligned and may
move
in and out against the blade slightly as you make the cut giving a rough
edge perhaps?

Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com

The right answer. If it's not being firmly held, it vibrates in and out of
the tooth pattern.

Of course, part of the problem could be your feed rate and push direction as
well.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

wrote:

klaatu wrote:
Rudy, Do you have a General saw? If so that could be the problem.

How the heck could having a General be the problem?

Chris, I have a General contractor saw 50-185L M1.

Technically you have a General International saw, not a General saw.

GI also makes many other saws, so does General.

Given that there are *many* people that have your saw and don't
experience the same problem, it's likely not a design issue with that
particular saw or that particular manufacturer.

That said, I would certainly consider it a defect in your saw. Have you
talked to GI and described your problem?

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking
Charles Self

"George" George@least wrote in message

"www" wrote in message
u...

[...]

A featherboard might help, too.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bugs

The arbor bracket pn 50175 is not machined corrrectly.
The bearing holes and pivot hole are not parrallel

I agree. Need to check the mechanism for alignment at all settings. The
blade must be exactly parallel with the table slots and at a perfect
right angle to the table top to saw correctly, otherwise the trailing
edge of the blade will make the cut ragged. Sort of visualize pushing a
Skilsaw through a board while cocking the saw right or left. Makes a
really lousy cut.
Bugs

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Bugs" wrote in message
oups.com...
The arbor bracket pn 50175 is not machined corrrectly.

The bearing holes and pivot hole are not parrallel

I agree. Need to check the mechanism for alignment at all settings. The
blade must be exactly parallel with the table slots and at a perfect
right angle to the table top to saw correctly, otherwise the trailing
edge of the blade will make the cut ragged. Sort of visualize pushing a
Skilsaw through a board while cocking the saw right or left. Makes a
really lousy cut.

Well, minor point, but if the fenced side's smooth, as the OP said, it
isn't anything you guys are discussing. It's the stock, not the blade
under those circumstances.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rudy Fichtenbaum

I have a Jet cabinet saw with a Forrest Woodworker II Blade and I have
check the blade alignment with the table saw aligner Jr.

Rudy

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Newbie RAS question mac davis Woodworking 14 October 7th 04 06:25 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM