Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

Default hand saw teeth protection

I discovered what to buy for this need, which I think very necassary,
go to swimming pool supply stores, it's called "coping", long plastic
clips used to clip down the lining of an above ground pool around
the top of the rim. It works pretty good.

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Posted to rec.woodworking

AAvK wrote:
I discovered what to buy for this need, which I think very necassary,
go to swimming pool supply stores, it's called "coping", long plastic
clips used to clip down the lining of an above ground pool around
the top of the rim. It works pretty good.

This stuff does not have an adhesive on it? I once found an automotive
door edging that the installer was supposed to apply the adhesive to.
Probably why they don't sell it anymore. It worked great for me though.

Thank You Alex, I for one will be checking this out.

Tom in KY, with dozens of handsaws.

Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

This stuff does not have an adhesive on it? I once found an automotive
door edging that the installer was supposed to apply the adhesive to.
Probably why they don't sell it anymore. It worked great for me though.

Thank You Alex, I for one will be checking this out.

Tom in KY, with dozens of handsaws.

Coping is the key word, what I bought did not come with adhesive,
it is somewhat like the protector that will be included with any new
Stanley hand saw, only flatter. It's best to look for the 48" size so
you can cut to length. It's a lot cheaper than the ones at HH, those
are. $3.99 each! I paid .50c but only 24".

Posted to rec.woodworking
DonkeyHody

J T wrote:

What "need"? Hang mine from the wall, and no prob. What ever are
you doing to your saw(s) that you think they "need" protection? Are you
a registered saw offender by any chance? Me, if I was going to dork
around with something like that, I'd just get a piece of old garden
hose, slit it, and slide it on the saw. For a one-time thing, I'd
probably just use a strip of duct tape. Or, duck tape. Or, masking
tape. I obviously do not understand the "problem" as stated. Also,
obviously, I have no empathy.

Obviously you just felt like being more nasty than usual tonight. Why
you gotta crap on somebody's idea just because you don't see the need?

I saw a need to cover the the teeth on my bow saw so it wouldn't rip up
everything else in the van (including my children's hands) when we went
camping. I tried splitting a garden hose lengthwise to put over it.
Didn't work worth nothin'. Couldn't keep the cut straight for more
than a few inches. Gave up on that idea pretty quick.

Went to the hardware store. Passed a pool store on the way. Walked
around a while in search of ideas. . Came home with some of that foam
tubing they use to insulate pipes. Wished for a better solution every
time I picked up the saw. Found one tonight on the wreck.

Now, how well you think that saw is gonna cut with all that adhesive
residue all over the teeth from the duck tape you put on it?. You're
gonna end up trying to clean it off with WD-40 or something. Probably
slice your finger and get lockjaw, cause I know you're too blamed
ornery to get a tetanus shot.

DonkeyHody
Who is sometimes wrong when he expects the best of people.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

Wed, Jan 11, 2006, 10:32pm (EST-3) doth
query:
Did you ever take a saw out of the shop to a job? Some of us don't get
to keep our tools safely hanging on a nail in the shop. A saw in a tool
box is going to get dull rattling around with hammers and pry bars and
such. We like to protect our teeth. It makes for a nice smile.
Tom in KY, Why are you in such a bad mood tonight JT? Is your truck
acting up again? Did somebody e-mail you?

Yup, I've taken saws out. And, a piece of old garden hose works
fine. However, if you're gonna carry one in a "tool box" go ahead, I
wouldn't. The woodworking tool chests I've seen have places to hold the
saws in place, usually in the lid. - ergo, no damage. So I don't know
what kind of "tool box" you're talking about. Even with the teeth
protected, I wouldn't toss a saw in with other tools. I'm not in a bad
mood, I already stated it, 'I don't understand the "need" as stated'.
And, I was right, because nothing had been said about carrying a saw in
a tool box. Anyway, if I was gonna carry a saw in a truck tool box (I
take it that is what you're talking about), I would make a wooden
carrying case for the saw (simple enough). Actually, I probably
wouldn't - what I'd do is use a chunk of slit garden hose, then carry
the saw in the cab. You guys alre always trying to complicate things.

JOAT
You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear".
What do you "know"?
- Granny Weatherwax

Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

Yeah that's good thinkin', not stinkin'! There are some good reasons for
tooth protection, like, don't want to damage the sharpened teeth, don't want
to damage my own clumsy self. My saws are in my apartment, and I wouldn't
want to damage anything in my apt either. There are a lot of life's living
scenarios that call for tooth protection! Especially if children are around
too.

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

John, I go to a local woodshop set up by city college, the adult education
program. And in our county, it is no doubt second to none in the entire
country of the US. Anyone can go, just show up to the class itself, fill
out the bubble form and pay up a small fee.

But to the class I carry my own hand tools there, in an old fashioned
wooden tool box with a dowel for a handle, and I drop the saws in it, this
works great for me, so the tooth protection is very necassary considering
all the other tools in there and the box being made of wood. Lots of real
life scenarios require it for saws.

The coping can also be used for chisel tip protectors, wrapped tightly with
duct or black darkroom tape.

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

Wed, Jan 11, 2006, 11:36pm (EST-3) (DonkeyHody)
doth chide me:
Obviously you just felt like being more nasty than usual tonight. Why
you gotta crap on somebody's idea just because you don't see the need?
snip

LMAO Hey, I didn't call anyone a dipstick, did I? That's nice.

I thought I was being pretty clear, when I asked, "What need?".
Details, details, if you guys don't give details, don't expect me to
read your minds, I stopped trying that years ago.

OK, so you're gonna take your bow saw camping. It'll probably like
that. For that, my first choice would be to make a wooden case to hold
it (you could even pad it, if you wanted), to protect the whole saw, not
just the blade - be a shame to have a sharp, bent, blade, or the frame
broken. Lay out the saw on some plywood, pencil line around it, there's
your pattern - I'd even put a handle on it. Second choice, carry it in
a folded blanket, or tarp (actually, this is probably what I'd do first,
but if I wanted to do it "right", this would be second choice). That's
the way we used to do with our crosscut saw, oh so many years ago. Now
that I think on it, a piece of carpet would work. I've never had
problems slitting a garden hose - a box cutter works, just take it slow
- so that'f be third choice. Fourth choice, I'd make a canvas, or
leather, case for it. I've seen 'em for sale somewhere, but that was
long, long, ago, and too pricey anyway. Probably a piece of carpet
would work for that too. And, I did say, for a "one-time" shot, duct
tape, I didn't say every time. Or, you could just fold a piece of
cardboard, and tape that around the blade. My last choice would be to
buy something. See? It's all so basic. And, you're all upset with me,
and you weren't even the OP. LOL Different generation I suppose - my
first inclination is, "How can I do this myself?", not, "What can I buy
to do this?" - but that's just me. If what you've found makes you
happy, then you stick with it. No prob.

JOAT
You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear".
What do you "know"?
- Granny Weatherwax

Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

Oh that's rich, anything you can possibly come up with to avoid like the plaque,
the buying of a 50 cent strip of coping? What a rediculous argument, you've got
nothing there, my friend.

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Posted to rec.woodworking
DonkeyHody

J T wrote:
(snip)
Lay out the saw on some plywood, pencil line around it, there's
your pattern - I'd even put a handle on it.
(snip)
My last choice would be to
buy something. See? It's all so basic. And, you're all upset with me,
and you weren't even the OP. LOL Different generation I suppose - my
first inclination is, "How can I do this myself?", not, "What can I buy
to do this?" - but that's just me. If what you've found makes you
happy, then you stick with it. No prob.

Joat,
Thank you for your reasonably civil response.

Do you get your plywood for free? I know you have some laying (or is
it lying?) around, but if you use up half a sheet on a case for a bow
saw, then you'll have to replace it someday. My point is that you
haven't necessarily saved any money, you've just delayed the outlay.
So something you buy especially for the task may turn out to be cheaper
in the long run.

Now I wouldn't dream of telling you your way is wrong. I'm just asking
you to be more tolerant of folks who have ideas different from yours.
Alex has been hanging around here long enough that he's probably
developed a hide thick enough to take your abuse. But the next newbie
you jump on might well stay away forever. That may be no loss to you,
but some of us will still be here when that newbie has developed into
an accomplished wooddorker with priceless insight.

DonkeyHody
"I'd rather expect the best from people and be wrong than expect the
worst and be right."

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 19:30:49 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
"AAvK" quickly quoth:

I discovered what to buy for this need, which I think very necassary,
go to swimming pool supply stores, it's called "coping", long plastic
clips used to clip down the lining of an above ground pool around
the top of the rim. It works pretty good.

Running a length of PVC pipe (UNgrounded, no less!) through
the table saur (or with a hacksaw) to slit it makes a cheaper
piece of coping. Make sure your DC is on, 'cuz this stuff has
static up the yingyang.

Alternatively, build a saw till. (Ask Guntie for plans)
http://www.shavings.net/sawtill.html

"Be the change you want to see in the world." --Mahatma Gandhi
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

Thu, Jan 12, 2006, 4:06am (EST-3) (DonkeyHody)
doth scribbleth:
Thank you for your reasonably civil response.
Do you get your plywood for free? snip So something you buy especially
for the task may turn out to be cheaper in the long run.
Now I wouldn't dream of telling you your way is wrong. I'm just asking
you to be more tolerant of folks who have ideas different from yours.
snip

All my responses are reasonable. Just some are more reasonable
than others. LMAO

Matter of fact, I do get some of my plywood free. Doesn't
everyone? Try a motorcycle place, they often give their shipping crates
away. Or an appliance place. Can get some decent pieces of plywood at
times, and always some wood. Some is quite nice, some is ok, some is
only good for kindling. All free. I do buy, when I have the need.
But, even if I paid for the materials, I figure it'd be more than worth
the cost, for a case that would protect my saw, for years. To me,
that'd be more than worth the cost. I might even paint something like
that. I'm not cheap, but don't a lot of disposable income.

Sigh. I guess I'll need to explain it yet once again. I don't
tell people they have to do things my way. That's their choice. If
they want to buy something, rather than make it, fine, it's their money.
Me, I make any number of things I could well buy, even if I wind up
spending more money, because it's more fun that way, and I often learn
something doing it. I could bu all my wood to - if I wanted to. But,
it's fun to get some free wood somewhere, and make someting nice, or
useful, out of it. Right now, I'me figuring out how to make catches for
a gun case, and the hinges too. Sure, I could buy catches, and I've
already got hinges - but it's fun figuring out how to do it - and can
probably use both ideas on something else - if they work like I think
they will. The next cases will probably all have store-bought catches
and hinges. I'll still make the handles on all of 'em, as soon as I
figure out what I like. I'm willing to share the info, but if you want
to do it different, no prob.

Probably the main reason I post plans I find, is I was taught many
moons ago to communicate, share info. That was one of the first things
I learned in the Army. Help your buddy, because you'll want him to help
you. So I post plans. I'm sharing info. You want to use them, fine.
You want to killfile me, fine.

But, you want info, then post all the details you can. Don't just
you want to do this, or that. Ask a stupid question, then here you're
pretty much guranteed a stupid answer. And, if you check some of my
past posts, you'll see that most people have ideas diffeent from me -
even my kids.

As far as making a case for you saw, wouldn't even need plywood.
Except scraps. Just take some time, and could make one totally out of
scrap wood. Could get fancy with store-bought hinges, catch, and
handle. Or, leather hinges, or wooden, if you wanted to get fancy. Old
belt for a catch, or just ties it shut with rope. Rope hinge. If I was
gonna use scrap wood to make one, I'd take my time and do it up fancy,
just for the Hell of it. Major cost would be glue. Possibly be easiest
if you tongue and groove, but doable without. Actually, thinking about
it, I think I'd use dowels to hold it together. Blocks inside the case,
to protect against any hard knocks. But, if you don't want to do
something like that, up to you. If I was carrying around a bow saw
often, I probably would make something along those lines. But that's
me.

I really need to get back to my banjo.

JOAT
You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear".
What do you "know"?
- Granny Weatherwax

Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

Running a length of PVC pipe (UNgrounded, no less!) through
the table saur (or with a hacksaw) to slit it makes a cheaper
piece of coping. Make sure your DC is on, 'cuz this stuff has
static up the yingyang.

Alternatively, build a saw till. (Ask Guntie for plans)
http://www.shavings.net/sawtill.html

Only .50c a strip for coping. I have seen that saw till plan and would love
to build it however, as a learner I wish there were more details of building
it though. Thanks for the positivity.

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels

All this talk about handsaw cases or teeth protection.

I knew a master carpenter growing up. He sharpened his handsaws. And he had
a bunch of them too. At least fifteen of them. He had a big plywood box
with a handle on the top. He opened it up and all his saws were in there.
Each had a simple blade guard made from a couple of layers of heavy duty
cardboard. This were held together by some carton tape.

And each had the name of the saw on the side. Yep, he named his saws. And
he was very good with his tools. He built good things and took good care of
his tools.

Anyhow, I don't think anybody could much improve on this system.
Particularly the part about being a master craftsman.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Running a length of PVC pipe (UNgrounded, no less!) through
the table saur (or with a hacksaw) to slit it makes a cheaper
piece of coping. Make sure your DC is on, 'cuz this stuff has
static up the yingyang.

But won't that cause an explosion?...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

All this talk about handsaw cases or teeth protection.

I knew a master carpenter growing up. He sharpened his handsaws. And he had a bunch of them too. At least fifteen of them. He had
a big plywood box with a handle on the top. He opened it up and all his saws were in there. Each had a simple blade guard made
from a couple of layers of heavy duty cardboard. This were held together by some carton tape.

And each had the name of the saw on the side. Yep, he named his saws. And he was very good with his tools. He built good things
and took good care of his tools.

Anyhow, I don't think anybody could much improve on this system. Particularly the part about being a master craftsman.

Hey, that sounds entirely cool to me, the skill counts more than anything. But how
did those cardboard protectors stay on the saws?

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels

"AAvK" wrote

All this talk about handsaw cases or teeth protection.

I knew a master carpenter growing up. He sharpened his handsaws. And he
had a bunch of them too. At least fifteen of them. He had a big plywood
box with a handle on the top. He opened it up and all his saws were in
there. Each had a simple blade guard made from a couple of layers of
heavy duty cardboard. This were held together by some carton tape.

And each had the name of the saw on the side. Yep, he named his saws.
And he was very good with his tools. He built good things and took good
care of his tools.

Anyhow, I don't think anybody could much improve on this system.
Particularly the part about being a master craftsman.

Hey, that sounds entirely cool to me, the skill counts more than
anything. But how
did those cardboard protectors stay on the saws?

If my fading memory recalls correctly, he used twine to tie them on. But I
don't think it was that necessary. Because they were in a box when sheathed.
The covers fitted fairly snugly. They would not have fallen of if handled
carefully.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Gordon Airporte

I'll check it out. It may also work for any kitchen knives you have
rattling around in a drawer.

--
My spelling is really atrocious.
Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

I'll check it out. It may also work for any kitchen knives you have
rattling around in a drawer.

Now that is a fairly good point I had not thought of, I will try it out
and thank you!

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Posted to rec.woodworking
John Thomas

"AAvK" wrote in news:G5Fxf.7823$eR.5248@fed1read03:

I'll check it out. It may also work for any kitchen knives you have
rattling around in a drawer.

Now that is a fairly good point I had not thought of, I will try it
out and thank you!

SWMBO has a monster-sharp knife she inherited from her Mom that we store
just this way. Works very well ...

--
Regards,

JT