Posted to rec.woodworking
W Canaday

Default Grandchild coming ... need suggestions / plans

I've already bought plans for a sled and a cradle for my first grandchild
(due in late spring). I figure to make the cradle first. She can use it
while I'm working on the sled. ;-)

Proud Grandpa? You bet!

What other suggestions do you have for stuff to make for my only (so far)
grandchild?

I have the following tools:
Planer
Jointer
Lathe
Tablesaw
Bandsaw (12")
Drill press
stationary belt sander
assorted hand tools with & without tails
a background as a machinist / die-maker

I can do box joints but have yet to try dovetails. Not afraid to try ...
but I'm as inexperienced as it is possible to be and still be allowed to
post to this newsgroup. ;-)

I live in Detroit but she will be born in Minnesota ... so putting
together a sandbox / play gym is probably out of the question. Whatever I
make has to transport in the back of a passenger car, be utilitarian (my
son hasn't got a lot of room for extra junk at his house), require
middling woodworking skills (or less) and be baby/toddler centric.

If you can include links to the plans, so much the better.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Congrats on the kid.

You could think far in advance and start on a bedroom suite , dining
room set for when she gets married.

Mobiles to hang over crib.

rack of beads and spinning things to play once she is crawling.

Baby wagon to assist in learning to walk. You know the little wagon
with the handrail at the back.

Small table and chairs for kiddy snacks.

Pull along animals. Put a noisemaker on the axle and drive Mommy mad.

Wooden blocks / big piece jigsaw puzzles.

Just keep edges rounded, pieces too big to swallow or stick up nose,
and a chew safe finish.

Posted to rec.woodworking
DonkeyHody

W Canaday wrote:
I've already bought plans for a sled and a cradle for my first grandchild
(due in late spring). I figure to make the cradle first. She can use it
while I'm working on the sled. ;-)

Proud Grandpa? You bet!

What other suggestions do you have for stuff to make for my only (so far)
grandchild?

Congratulations Grandpa,

I have plans for a rocking horse that I never got around to building
for my own kids. Problem with rocking horses is that they require so
much room if the kid uses them.

I have a suggestion about the cradle. When we were expecting our
firstborn, I built a very nice hooded rocking cradle that sits on the
floor. The pictures of our kids in it are priceless as is the cradle
itself. However, it really didn't get much use because it was so low
that it required getting on hands and knees to get the baby in and out.
If I had it to do over again, I would build a swinging cradle that
sits fairly high off the ground.

DonkeyHody
"A poor workman quarrels with his tools." - American Indian Proverb

Posted to rec.woodworking
Redd

Check out this Rocker site. I just made the Teady Bear Rocker for my
grandson for Christmas. It was pretty simple but check your parts
before you cut. The plans have some errors in them.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Redd

Sorry, I forgot to include the web address.

http://www.rockler.com/CategoryView.cfm?Cat_ID=1490

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom

"W Canaday" wrote in message
news

What other suggestions do you have for stuff to make for my only (so far)
grandchild?

Every child should have a rocking chair. Becomes a family heirloom to be
passed from generation to generation. Plus makes a cool decoration for the
living room with a large doll in it between children.

Tom.

Posted to rec.woodworking
W Canaday

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 20:12:58 -0500, W Canaday wrote:

I've already bought plans for a sled and a cradle for my first grandchild
(due in late spring). I figure to make the cradle first. She can use it
while I'm working on the sled. ;-)

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. You've given me plenty to think over.

Donkey, thanks for the personal insight into the cradle. I had already
ordered plans for the hooded version but now I think I'll make the higher
version (instead / also?).

Also thanks for all the other suggestions. There should be enough here to
keep me busy until she finishes high school, at least. ;-)

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking
Vampire Slayer

wrote:

[...]

If you want to think a few years out then make a set of wooden unit
blocks. They are the hard wood blocks that you probably played with in
kindergarten when you were a kid. The blocks themselves are fairly
simple. They are based on the basic unit size of 1-3/8" x 2-3/4" x
5-1/2". If you look in goggle for "wooden unit blocks" you'll find
lots of information and different shapes. You'll also find that they
are very expensive. That's why you won't find many parents buying
them. Average price for a set of 100 blocks is around $350. With all
of the equipment you have I know you can make them fairly easily.

You can also build a carrying wagon for them. Then when you get more
time you can add more sets while they are growing up. Perfect presents
for birthdays and Christmas.

I've got a nephew that is one year old that I think I'll be building a
set for him and his yet to be born younger brother.

Good luck and have fun in the work shop.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Barta

J T wrote:

Dump the cradle, make a rocking chair. Toy box, with no lid.
Changing table.

You know, speaking of cradles, I saw this movie once... one of the
characters was a "baby expert" and she took issue with the common
style of rocking cradle. She said that you should rock babies from
front to back rather than side to side. Makes sense to me and I always
figured maybe one day I would design such a cradle.

Just thinking out loud...

Joe Barta

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bugs

And in your spare time you could whittle out some chains, balls in
cages, pliers, animals, etc. with your pocket knife. They really
impress the little ones and inspire the bigger ones to try their own
projects.
Bugs

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Gorman

W Canaday wrote:
On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 20:12:58 -0500, W Canaday wrote:

I've already bought plans for a sled and a cradle for my first grandchild
(due in late spring). I figure to make the cradle first. She can use it
while I'm working on the sled. ;-)

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. You've given me plenty to think over.

Donkey, thanks for the personal insight into the cradle. I had already
ordered plans for the hooded version but now I think I'll make the higher
version (instead / also?).

Also thanks for all the other suggestions. There should be enough here to
keep me busy until she finishes high school, at least. ;-)

Bill

This one puts the cradle off the floor, and has plans for floor rockers
to turn it into a toy box later.
http://www.jordanwoodboats.com/bt2.htm
And you can use epoxy instead of the copper nails.
Joe
And if you don't get around to starting it until the weekend before the
baby is due shellac would be the preferred finish.
Posted to rec.woodworking
John DeBoo

Baby will require a changing table with short uprights to keep it from
falling off and drawers/shelves underneath for onesies, diapers,
cleaning cloths, ointment, sox and all that sort of stuff. Check out a
stores baby section for inspiration.

BTW, congrats and for sure you'll find they are so much fun that you'd
wish you'd had them first!

Grandpa John (proud grandpa of 5)

W Canaday wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

"W Canaday"
[...]

Congratulations! My first grandson is 9 weeks old!
I rarely agree with JOAT but in some strange twist in the fabric of the
cosmos, he's right.
The new parents will get more use from a changing table or crib that they
will use for years.
As soon as I'm done remodeling my bathroom, I am going to build them a crib
that will be converted to a twin bed when he is older.

Shamefully bragging! He is a picture of my new grandson.
http://www.teamcasa.org/workshop/ima...cksonsmile.jpg

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Reed

I agree to dump the cradle. I say dump the changing table too. We have
3 kids under 4, and we have a changing table that we never used. We
change diapers all over the place, but never on a changing table. Just
a changing pad that can sit anywhere works best.

Don't build anything that will only be used for a few months (like a
cradle). You'll spend more time on it than it will get used. After it's
outgrown, your kids will feel obligated to keep it since you made it.
Then it will take up space in a shrinking house...

I think a dollhouse would be good to think about. A real grand one. A
bedroom set (maybe with a place for a chaning pad?).

I made a pair of mission style twin headboards. Our two oldest kids and
my wife just love them. I also made a big armoire to match, and it
holds a cd player and drawer cubbies for clothes. All very long-term
functional stuff.

I'll bet girl would love a jewlery box...

J T wrote:
Mon, Jan 9, 2006, 8:12pm (W Canaday) whot spent
money for plans says:
snip What other suggestions do you have for stuff to make for my only
(so far) grandchild? snip

Dump the cradle, make a rocking chair. Toy box, with no lid.
Changing table.

JOAT
You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear".
What do you "know"?
- Granny Weatherwax

Posted to rec.woodworking
Owen Lawrence

"Teamcasa" wrote in message

"W Canaday"
I've already bought plans for a sled and a cradle for my first grandchild
(due in late spring). I figure to make the cradle first. She can use it
while I'm working on the sled. ;-)

Proud Grandpa? You bet!

What other suggestions do you have for stuff to make for my only (so far)
grandchild?

I live in Detroit but she will be born in Minnesota ... so putting
together a sandbox / play gym is probably out of the question. Whatever I
make has to transport in the back of a passenger car, be utilitarian (my
son hasn't got a lot of room for extra junk at his house), require
middling woodworking skills (or less) and be baby/toddler centric.

If you can include links to the plans, so much the better.

My uncle made stuff for us when we were little, and then again when my own
children were born. These things are still in use, both here and at my
parents' house.

1. Small table and chairs. These will get used for decades. The kids need
places to eat snacks with their friends, and it's great when the whole
family gets together and the kids have their own special table. Our table
is just a small sheet of plywood with laminate applied to the top and edge,
corners rounded. The legs are just plywood quadrangles, attached between
some cleats nailed to the underside. Assemble it when you arrive.

The chairs my uncle made are also assembled on arrival, just plywood
sections nailed together. You'll probably want to do something finer, but
if your grandchildren are anything at all like every last child in my entire
extended family, these things are going to get seriously kicked around. Two
sides kind of like the letter 'h', making the legs and supports for the
back, a piece across the back, a seat across the flattened hump of the 'h's,
and another stabilizing piece perpendicular to the seat and the 'h's, under
the seat. I hope you can picture it (sorry, I don't have a digital camera,
but one might arrive for my son's birthday next week and maybe he'll let me
borrow it ).

The chairs my wife's grandfather made are kind of the same except the humps
of the 'h's extend a little higher than the seat, makimg little arm rests.
That's fine for a little kid, but they grow out of it, and no adult can use
that chair for anything.

2. Piggy banks. Slim little rectangular boxes that fit a roll of pennies,
nickels, dimes, or quarters.

3. Desk with bookshelves and bulletin board, kid-sized

Make more bookshelves, too. It won't be very long before the little kiddie
books need a home, too. It might be a pain to make a collapsable desk, but
probably not so hard to do the shelves.

4. Band saw made of wood

Okay, I'm kidding about the last one. My uncle made my bandsaw; he and Dad
used it to butcher deer. I use it to butcher wood. Deer live in the woods
and eat trees, so it's kind of the same, right?

The point is, make anything. It will have a HUGE impact on your grandchild.
Just make it good and strong because it's going to be hard for them to throw
it away when it breaks because you made it. I don't really care what you
think of my bandsaw, I've been using it since I was nine or ten years old;
it skewed my entire life!

A few other things I made for my own kids:

5. Train whistle

6. Hammer and poundy thing. I don't know what you call it, but it's got a
bunch of tight-fitting dowels in holes, and you hammer them all down, then
flip it over and hammer them back.

7. Boxes. Any kind you want, as long as they're strong and safe. (One day
I was suprised (then relieved when nothing bad happened), to see grandma
standing on a small box I made. Inside, it was full of expensive handheld
gaming stuff. The box held up just fine.)

A word of caution about toy boxes. Make them too deep and you can't see
toys underneath the toys. Make them too wide and the child can't reach all
the toys.

8. Baseball bat (wait 'till she's a bit older or somebody'll regret it)

Congratulations! My first grandson is 9 weeks old!
... Shamefully bragging! He is a picture of my new grandson.
http://www.teamcasa.org/workshop/ima...cksonsmile.jpg
Dave

And a fine looking grandson he is!

- Owen -

Posted to rec.woodworking
WConner

Don't build anything that will only be used for a few months (like a
cradle). You'll spend more time on it than it will get used.

I agree with most of this post but I have built three cradles. I have also
built five child size rocking chairs. These fit from one year old to about
five then they are good for decorations. These have a Teddy Bear decoration
cut into the back and "Paw" arms. The full size rocking chair suggested
above might be more practical. I think I will build one more child's rocking
chair. All but one have been Cherry, one was Red Oak.

Also built some doll cradles, only good for girls of course, trucks for
boys. I have built each of our grandchildren an articulating dachshund doggy
pull toy for their first birthday. These were much enjoyed and have become
keep sakes. One granddaughter was fighting with her sister over one, made
her something else, so then had to duplicate each one's toy for the other to
keep things even.

Walt Conner

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark Wells

My sister and brother-in-law got me this awesome book published by
Taunton called "Making Heirloom Toys." I haven't made any of the toys
yet, but I really, really like the designs. The same author has
another book that also looks great.

In this new age, the first child seems to cause you house to be
completely filled with plastic objects. I would say anything to store
all those plastic things would be useful -- shelves, dresser, etc. My
latest project in the shop is building shelves to hold plastic bins
from the Trofast line at IKEA:

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...roductId=11181

Mark