Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

Default Grandchild coming ... need suggestions / plans

"W Canaday"
I've already bought plans for a sled and a cradle for my first grandchild
(due in late spring). I figure to make the cradle first. She can use it
while I'm working on the sled. ;-)

Proud Grandpa? You bet!

What other suggestions do you have for stuff to make for my only (so far)
grandchild?

I have the following tools:
Planer
Jointer
Lathe
Tablesaw
Bandsaw (12")
Drill press
stationary belt sander
assorted hand tools with & without tails
a background as a machinist / die-maker

I can do box joints but have yet to try dovetails. Not afraid to try ...
but I'm as inexperienced as it is possible to be and still be allowed to
post to this newsgroup. ;-)

I live in Detroit but she will be born in Minnesota ... so putting
together a sandbox / play gym is probably out of the question. Whatever I
make has to transport in the back of a passenger car, be utilitarian (my
son hasn't got a lot of room for extra junk at his house), require
middling woodworking skills (or less) and be baby/toddler centric.

If you can include links to the plans, so much the better.

Congratulations! My first grandson is 9 weeks old!
I rarely agree with JOAT but in some strange twist in the fabric of the
cosmos, he's right.
The new parents will get more use from a changing table or crib that they
will use for years.
As soon as I'm done remodeling my bathroom, I am going to build them a crib
that will be converted to a twin bed when he is older.

Shamefully bragging! He is a picture of my new grandson.
http://www.teamcasa.org/workshop/ima...cksonsmile.jpg

Dave