Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

Default Spraying conundrum

I'm in the process of building kitchen cabinets and I'd really like to spray
a finish on them. Plus, I'd really like to get into spraying in general. I
had a nice talk with Jeff Jewitt today mostly about HVLP conversion guns.
The key piece of data I was missing, however, was the CFM of my existing
compressor. After getting home and looking at it, I still don't know. I've
had the thing a lot longer than I've been woodworking and it wasn't anywhere
near the top of the line then. The operator manual I have doesn't have the
specs as it relates to CFM, but I'm not real hopeful. It's a Coleman Black
Max 20 gal/5HP single-stage, direct drive model. Unless someone knows
different, I'm betting it's in the 4-6CFM range, which isn't really going to
get the job done, spraying-wise (AFAIK).

So, I'm open to suggestions. Other than spraying, there's really nothing
pushing me to replace the compressor. If I get a compressor with enough CFM
to do the job plus a decent gun, am I going to be getting into turbine HVLP
rig range price-wise?

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking
JGS

Hi Todd,
Jeff often recommends the PC 6025 as a good compressor for most spraying. Add
the price of one of these to one of Jeff's guns and compare it to the price of
HVLP turbine units he sells. Oh yes, for the compressor option don't forget to
include the price of a regulator and a couple of filters. The price of a
coalescing filter made me go for the turbine. If you plan to spray mainly latex
paint go with the compressor and the appropriate gun. Cheers, JG

http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/

todd wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 00:40:15 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
"todd" quickly quoth:

I'm in the process of building kitchen cabinets and I'd really like to spray
a finish on them. Plus, I'd really like to get into spraying in general. I
had a nice talk with Jeff Jewitt today mostly about HVLP conversion guns.
The key piece of data I was missing, however, was the CFM of my existing
compressor. After getting home and looking at it, I still don't know. I've
had the thing a lot longer than I've been woodworking and it wasn't anywhere
near the top of the line then. The operator manual I have doesn't have the
specs as it relates to CFM, but I'm not real hopeful. It's a Coleman Black
Max 20 gal/5HP single-stage, direct drive model. Unless someone knows
different, I'm betting it's in the 4-6CFM range, which isn't really going to
get the job done, spraying-wise (AFAIK).

You might be surprised. Unless you're shooting the entire kitchen set
of cabinets in one, non-stop run, your compressor will probably have
enough capacity to handle that project. Since the HVLP guns run at a
lower pressure, you have all that overhead (40-120psi) to go through
before the pressure to the gun gets low. A 2-minute break between
sprays will likely rebuild it.

As a test, get the gun, set the pressure, and pull the trigger. Note
how long it takes for the compressor to kick in, and then how long it
takes to deplete the tank below the minimum gun pressure. I'll bet
it's 6 or 7 minutes. Spraying what you can get to shouldn't take that
long.

So, I'm open to suggestions. Other than spraying, there's really nothing
pushing me to replace the compressor. If I get a compressor with enough CFM
to do the job plus a decent gun, am I going to be getting into turbine HVLP
rig range price-wise?

You can add extra capacity by buying another air tank. I keep a couple
of 5-gallon tanks handy and use them away from the compressor as spare
air. To increase capacity, I'll just leave the coupler in when I fill
the tanks. I do this for blowing out the shop. That takes a lot of air
at the highest pressure. Check the Schucks/AutoZone/etc. ads for
tanks. They're on sale for $20 quite often. Keep one in your trunk for
flat tires when you're not spraying. They're handy. I ran my brad
nailer from one when I put up new soffit panels. It's good for 50+
shots (with a regulator.)

--
If you turn the United States on its side,
everything loose will fall to California.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I recently bought a Husky 17 gal compressor and matching HVLP gun from
HD. The gun needs somewhere between 5-6 CFM, which this compressor
supplies.

I have been spraying a lot of trim boards with it, and it is doing a
good job. Paid under $300 for both including tax.

I know there are much better setups, but this was a good first purchase
for me to start spraying.

I would be surprised if that gun ($79, I think) wouldn't work with your
existing compressor.

Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

I meant to add that I have no interest in spraying latex. I'm mostly
interested in stuff like shellac, lacquer, and conversion finishes.

todd

todd wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

todd wrote:
I'm in the process of building kitchen cabinets and I'd really like to spray
a finish on them. Plus, I'd really like to get into spraying in general. I
had a nice talk with Jeff Jewitt today mostly about HVLP conversion guns.
The key piece of data I was missing, however, was the CFM of my existing
compressor. After getting home and looking at it, I still don't know. I've
had the thing a lot longer than I've been woodworking and it wasn't anywhere
near the top of the line then. The operator manual I have doesn't have the
specs as it relates to CFM, but I'm not real hopeful. It's a Coleman Black
Max 20 gal/5HP single-stage, direct drive model.

that *sounds* like a pretty healthy compressor... unless those are
sears horsies it should be able to drive a spray gun.

Unless someone knows
different, I'm betting it's in the 4-6CFM range, which isn't really going to
get the job done, spraying-wise (AFAIK).

So, I'm open to suggestions. Other than spraying, there's really nothing
pushing me to replace the compressor. If I get a compressor with enough CFM
to do the job plus a decent gun, am I going to be getting into turbine HVLP
rig range price-wise?

todd

take a look at these guns:
http://compliantspraysystems.com/accusprayfinishingequipment/hand_held_guns/hand_held_spray_guns_pg1.htm
or:
http://tinyurl.com/84bvd
I have a 19c. it rocks.

Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
[...]

I think I'll probably give it a shot. Do you have any thoughts on the type
of conversion gun? Gravity feed vs. pressurized pot? What kind of
filter/regulator should I look for?

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking
Martin Thomas

I have the cheapest HVLP sprayer that you could buy....its a campbell
hausfield....it was $99.00 on sale at HD.......I dont mind saying that the
finsih is just great....I made a whole bunch of raised panel kitchen cabinet
doors in cherry and finished them with clear laquer.....they look and feel
great......I also looked at getting a new compressor to handle a better gun
etc....but the cost to get that much CFM is way too much, also the size of
the compressorrs tend to be large......the HVLP systems out there are very
small and dont require special voiltages and high amp circuits........Go
try the cheap one at HD and take it back for a refund if you dont agree with
my opinion

"todd" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

todd wrote:

....thoughts on the type
of conversion gun? Gravity feed vs. pressurized pot? What kind of
filter/regulator should I look for?

todd

the pressure pot allows the gun to be used at different angles, which
is very handy. think about being able to aim up and down while spraying
interiors....

here's the filter/regulator I use:
I took the lubricator off of it. it works fine for me shooting water
based poly.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 11:00:32 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
"todd" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

You can add extra capacity by buying another air tank. I keep a couple
of 5-gallon tanks handy and use them away from the compressor as spare
air. To increase capacity, I'll just leave the coupler in when I fill
the tanks. I do this for blowing out the shop. That takes a lot of air
at the highest pressure. Check the Schucks/AutoZone/etc. ads for
tanks. They're on sale for $20 quite often. Keep one in your trunk for
flat tires when you're not spraying. They're handy. I ran my brad
nailer from one when I put up new soffit panels. It's good for 50+
shots (with a regulator.)

I think I'll probably give it a shot. Do you have any thoughts on the type
of conversion gun? Gravity feed vs. pressurized pot? What kind of
filter/regulator should I look for?

One of HF FRL goes for $20 on sale often, like TODAY! ($19.99)

I've heard that the Astra HVLP guns are nice. $90 on eBay. HF has one
for $50 but I don't know anyone who has one. I think if I were buying
a cheaper gun, I'd definitely go with a gravity type.

HF Tanks. For $66, you can double your compressor capacity. That's a
lot cheaper than buying a larger compressor if it's unnecessary.
Their 5-gal models go for $22.99.

--
If you turn the United States on its side,
everything loose will fall to California.
--Frank Lloyd Wright

Posted to rec.woodworking
[...]

I called Jeff Jewitt back today and decided to go with a Walcom Slim S.
It's a gravity feed unit. I might have been able to shop around a little
more, but I figure being able to talk to Jeff if I have a problem is worth
something. I'll see how my current setup works when I get the gun.

Thanks for your help.

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking
Avraham

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 18:53:03 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

Only problem with their tanks is the hard-wired (plumbed?) auto-tire
fitting on the output side. I bought one hoping to use it with a
nailer away from my compressor, but it didn't work out.
PK
Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"Avraham" khazar(digits eight wrote in message

HF Tanks. For $66, you can double your compressor capacity. That's a
lot cheaper than buying a larger compressor if it's unnecessary.
Their 5-gal models go for $22.99.

Only problem with their tanks is the hard-wired (plumbed?) auto-tire
fitting on the output side. I bought one hoping to use it with a
nailer away from my compressor, but it didn't work out.
PK

Ahem... ummmmm... remove the factory installed air line and screw in an air
chuck. They are 1/4 NPT fittings, you can put anything you want there that
will screw in.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Avraham

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 09:31:41 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

"Avraham" khazar(digits eight wrote in message
.. .

HF Tanks. For $66, you can double your compressor capacity. That's a
lot cheaper than buying a larger compressor if it's unnecessary.
Their 5-gal models go for $22.99.

Only problem with their tanks is the hard-wired (plumbed?) auto-tire
fitting on the output side. I bought one hoping to use it with a
nailer away from my compressor, but it didn't work out.
PK

Ahem... ummmmm... remove the factory installed air line and screw in an air
chuck. They are 1/4 NPT fittings, you can put anything you want there that
will screw in.

Huh. Mine isn't, unfortunately. Of course, it isn't from HF, it's
from Tractor Supply, now that I think about it. I'm not a *complete*
goob, I did think about replacing the line.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 23:28:05 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
Avraham khazar(digits eight quickly quoth:

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 18:53:03 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:

HF Tanks. For $66, you can double your compressor capacity. That's a
lot cheaper than buying a larger compressor if it's unnecessary.
Their 5-gal models go for $22.99.

Only problem with their tanks is the hard-wired (plumbed?) auto-tire
fitting on the output side. I bought one hoping to use it with a
nailer away from my compressor, but it didn't work out.

Got a blade? Cut the end off the rubber hose and install a barbed
fitting and female quick-disconnect.

California's 4 Seasons: Fire, Flood, Drought, & Earthquake
--------------------------------------
http://www.diversify.com NoteSHADES(tm) privacy/glare guards
Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 22:28:28 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
"todd" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
I've heard that the Astra HVLP guns are nice. $90 on eBay. HF has one
for $50 but I don't know anyone who has one. I think if I were buying
a cheaper gun, I'd definitely go with a gravity type.

HF Tanks. For $66, you can double your compressor capacity. That's a
lot cheaper than buying a larger compressor if it's unnecessary.
Their 5-gal models go for $22.99.

I called Jeff Jewitt back today and decided to go with a Walcom Slim S.
It's a gravity feed unit. I might have been able to shop around a little
more, but I figure being able to talk to Jeff if I have a problem is worth
something. I'll see how my current setup works when I get the gun.

Ouch, $260 for the gun and $96 for each needle/aircap set? Since you
need one for latex (home stuff), one for lacquer (projects), etc., it
can add up quickly. But I guess that having a pro handy for questions
can be invaluable. Let us know how you like it.

Thanks for your help.

Jewelcome.

California's 4 Seasons: Fire, Flood, Drought, & Earthquake
--------------------------------------
http://www.diversify.com NoteSHADES(tm) privacy/glare guards
Posted to rec.woodworking
Avraham

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 08:05:44 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 23:28:05 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
Avraham khazar(digits eight quickly quoth:

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 18:53:03 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:

HF Tanks. For $66, you can double your compressor capacity. That's a
lot cheaper than buying a larger compressor if it's unnecessary.
Their 5-gal models go for $22.99.

Only problem with their tanks is the hard-wired (plumbed?) auto-tire
fitting on the output side. I bought one hoping to use it with a
nailer away from my compressor, but it didn't work out.

Got a blade? Cut the end off the rubber hose and install a barbed
fitting and female quick-disconnect.

California's 4 Seasons: Fire, Flood, Drought, & Earthquake
--------------------------------------
http://www.diversify.com NoteSHADES(tm) privacy/glare guards

Now that's an idea. I'll have to check that one out.
Tanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking
[...]

As I said, I'm a total novice, so I'm putting a value on access to Jeff's
experience. Beyond that, I have no interest in spraying latex, so one
needle/cap setup should suffice (the gun price includes one needle/cap
setup).

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Ouch, $260 for the gun and $96 for each needle/aircap set? Since you
need one for latex (home stuff), one for lacquer (projects), etc., it
can add up quickly. But I guess that having a pro handy for questions
can be invaluable. Let us know how you like it.

Ouch and a half. But... he could have spent more. Or less...

--

-Mike-

Pointy Stick Compendium - Spraying Shellac charlie b Woodworking 1 March 27th 05 03:55 AM
Spraying Deft. Herb Robinson Woodworking 3 December 30th 04 05:32 PM
Needed Info on or about Spraying on stains etc... Bob G. Woodworking 7 December 4th 04 06:27 PM
Lacquer Spraying Joe Woodworking 2 November 26th 04 09:44 PM
Spraying Paint Tom Watson Woodworking 15 September 13th 03 02:41 PM