Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

Default Spraying conundrum

I'm in the process of building kitchen cabinets and I'd really like to spray
a finish on them. Plus, I'd really like to get into spraying in general. I
had a nice talk with Jeff Jewitt today mostly about HVLP conversion guns.
The key piece of data I was missing, however, was the CFM of my existing
compressor. After getting home and looking at it, I still don't know. I've
had the thing a lot longer than I've been woodworking and it wasn't anywhere
near the top of the line then. The operator manual I have doesn't have the
specs as it relates to CFM, but I'm not real hopeful. It's a Coleman Black
Max 20 gal/5HP single-stage, direct drive model. Unless someone knows
different, I'm betting it's in the 4-6CFM range, which isn't really going to
get the job done, spraying-wise (AFAIK).

So, I'm open to suggestions. Other than spraying, there's really nothing
pushing me to replace the compressor. If I get a compressor with enough CFM
to do the job plus a decent gun, am I going to be getting into turbine HVLP
rig range price-wise?

todd