Posted to rec.woodworking
Martin Thomas

Default Spraying conundrum

I have the cheapest HVLP sprayer that you could buy....its a campbell
hausfield....it was $99.00 on sale at HD.......I dont mind saying that the
finsih is just great....I made a whole bunch of raised panel kitchen cabinet
doors in cherry and finished them with clear laquer.....they look and feel
great......I also looked at getting a new compressor to handle a better gun
etc....but the cost to get that much CFM is way too much, also the size of
the compressorrs tend to be large......the HVLP systems out there are very
small and dont require special voiltages and high amp circuits........Go
try the cheap one at HD and take it back for a refund if you dont agree with
my opinion

"todd" wrote in message
. ..
I'm in the process of building kitchen cabinets and I'd really like to
spray
a finish on them. Plus, I'd really like to get into spraying in general.
had a nice talk with Jeff Jewitt today mostly about HVLP conversion guns.
The key piece of data I was missing, however, was the CFM of my existing
compressor. After getting home and looking at it, I still don't know.
I've
had the thing a lot longer than I've been woodworking and it wasn't
anywhere
near the top of the line then. The operator manual I have doesn't have
the
specs as it relates to CFM, but I'm not real hopeful. It's a Coleman
Black
Max 20 gal/5HP single-stage, direct drive model. Unless someone knows
different, I'm betting it's in the 4-6CFM range, which isn't really going
get the job done, spraying-wise (AFAIK).

So, I'm open to suggestions. Other than spraying, there's really nothing
pushing me to replace the compressor. If I get a compressor with enough
CFM
to do the job plus a decent gun, am I going to be getting into turbine
HVLP
rig range price-wise?

todd