Bob G.

Default Needed Info on or about Spraying on stains etc...

Its that time of year again when I have to replenish my wives supply
of Doll Furniture that she has UNLOADED at craft fairs this season...

Wife makes and repairs Dolls... sews and sells doll cloths etc and I
have the "chore" of making cradles, doll beds, wardrobes, and chest of
drawers for her to sell...

Now the sales prices these things sell for is pretty low...meaning I
have to use either pine or poplar to make them... Easy enough
BUT I absolutely hate the finishing process...Gel stain works but it
still is a pain...

So...lazy as I am...I tough that maybe I could attempt to play with
spraying a stain on the furniture then spraying on a semi gloss
finish...

Any books etc... that I should look at...?

Bob Griffiths

Eric Ryder

"Bob G." wrote in message

Its that time of year again when I have to replenish my wives supply
of Doll Furniture that she has UNLOADED at craft fairs this season...

Wife makes and repairs Dolls... sews and sells doll cloths etc and I
have the "chore" of making cradles, doll beds, wardrobes, and chest of
drawers for her to sell...

Now the sales prices these things sell for is pretty low...meaning I
have to use either pine or poplar to make them... Easy enough
BUT I absolutely hate the finishing process...Gel stain works but it
still is a pain...

So...lazy as I am...I tough that maybe I could attempt to play with
spraying a stain on the furniture then spraying on a semi gloss
finish...

Any books etc... that I should look at...?

Bob Griffiths

No help on books, but here's some unsolicited advice...
Look into dyes or coloring (toning) the finish for some fast spray
finishing.

Bob G.

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 12:28:27 -0500, "Eric Ryder"
wrote:

"Bob G." wrote in message
.. .

[...]

================Thanks...

I Pride myself in NEVER having read a single book on woodworking
anyhow....(lol)...

Just kept producing a lot of suwdust...

Bob

Garey

"Bob G." wrote in message

So...lazy as I am...I tough that maybe I could attempt to play with
spraying a stain on the furniture then spraying on a semi gloss
finish...

Any books etc... that I should look at...?

Bob Griffiths

Try the book Spray Finishing by Andy Charron. It's published by Taunton
Press, you might be able to get from your library. I have sprayed die stains
before and it's not too bad about the third time you do it. I've used both
an air brush and a HVLP conversion gun. I felt I had more control with the
air brush YMMV. Also, use some kind of a booth unless you plan on coating
everything in the room. I made a booth (5X7) from floor to ceiling with
plastic and put a small fan in the basement window to exhaust the overspray
as well as the fumes.

Garey
remove the spot to reply

Spray cans will break the bank. Dyes can be sprayed and that
application method is often suggested instead of wiping. I use a
touch-up gun with a 1HP compressor that would suit your needs as I
understand them to a TEE. Dyes can be added to finishes to function
as toners so the entire thing can be done in one step instead of two
or more. Visit Jeff Jewitt at www.homesteadfinishing.com for dyes,
finishes, guns and advice on "How to". Waterbased finishes have made
things so much more "user friendly" than the old days it seems unreal.

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 10:38:03 -0500, Bob G.
wrote:

Its that time of year again when I have to replenish my wives supply
of Doll Furniture that she has UNLOADED at craft fairs this season...

Wife makes and repairs Dolls... sews and sells doll cloths etc and I
have the "chore" of making cradles, doll beds, wardrobes, and chest of
drawers for her to sell...

Now the sales prices these things sell for is pretty low...meaning I
have to use either pine or poplar to make them... Easy enough
BUT I absolutely hate the finishing process...Gel stain works but it
still is a pain...

So...lazy as I am...I tough that maybe I could attempt to play with
spraying a stain on the furniture then spraying on a semi gloss
finish...

Any books etc... that I should look at...?

Bob Griffiths

Bob G.

Spray cans will break the bank. Dyes can be sprayed and that
application method is often suggested instead of wiping. I use a
touch-up gun with a 1HP compressor that would suit your needs as I
understand them to a TEE. Dyes can be added to finishes to function
as toners so the entire thing can be done in one step instead of two
or more. Visit Jeff Jewitt at www.homesteadfinishing.com for dyes,
finishes, guns and advice on "How to". Waterbased finishes have made
things so much more "user friendly" than the old days it seems unreal.

thanks....I did buy one spray can of Minwax this morning....just to
try....but the price was like you said...way too much...

Bob