Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack_O

Default what saw do you use in this situation

Greetings.
My Mother n law feels she needs 4 inches or so cut off the end of her
counter top so she can add something, (movable cart or some such thing.)
There is approximately a 4 inch overhand from the lower cuboard.
OK no brainer cut off the 4 inches flush.
Problem#1 I used a jigsaw to cut as far back as I can .. bonk.. the
plate(FOOT OF THE SAW) hits the backsplash, leaving about 1 1/2 inches to
the end.
I started another cut 90 degrees on the end.. still not close enough.
Problem #2 the backsplash.. without really messing up the wall how do I cut
thru that.

--
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts
can be counted."

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

In article ,
"Jack_O" wrote:

Greetings.

Hiya

Problem #2 the backsplash.. without really messing up the wall how do I cut
thru that.

I go real slow with a Sawzall and a metal blade. I free hand it with
slow speed and great care. Do NOT let the blade pullback out of the
kerf...which means you're going into the wall a little bit.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 02:28:24 GMT, "Jack_O"
wrote:

Greetings.
My Mother n law feels she needs 4 inches or so cut off the end of her
counter top so she can add something, (movable cart or some such thing.)
There is approximately a 4 inch overhand from the lower cuboard.
OK no brainer cut off the 4 inches flush.
Problem#1 I used a jigsaw to cut as far back as I can .. bonk.. the
plate(FOOT OF THE SAW) hits the backsplash, leaving about 1 1/2 inches to
the end.
I started another cut 90 degrees on the end.. still not close enough.
Problem #2 the backsplash.. without really messing up the wall how do I cut
thru that.

See if you can slip a piece of thin sheet metal between the back of
the counter and the wall, to protect the wall from the fine-toothed
crosscut handsaw that you will use to finish out the cut.

HTH

Tom Watson - WoodDorker

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Jackson

I picked up one of these a couple of months ago. Sure has come in handy for
getting nice cuts in tight spaces. Has almost replaced my flush cut hand
saw. Check it out, may be just what you need-
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&s=hi&v=glance
--dave

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"Jack_O" wrote in message
. net...
Greetings.
My Mother n law feels she needs 4 inches or so cut off the end of her
counter top so she can add something, (movable cart or some such thing.)
There is approximately a 4 inch overhand from the lower cuboard.
OK no brainer cut off the 4 inches flush.
Problem#1 I used a jigsaw to cut as far back as I can .. bonk.. the
plate(FOOT OF THE SAW) hits the backsplash, leaving about 1 1/2 inches to
the end.
I started another cut 90 degrees on the end.. still not close enough.
Problem #2 the backsplash.. without really messing up the wall how do I
cut
thru that.

I hadn't seen the flush cutting jigsaw blade before. If that actually
works...

Sticking to what I actually own, I would try a cutting disk on an angle
grinder or a Fein with a saw on it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Barta

Jack_O wrote:

Greetings.
My Mother n law feels she needs 4 inches or so cut off the end of
her counter top so she can add something, (movable cart or some
such thing.) There is approximately a 4 inch overhand from the
lower cuboard. OK no brainer cut off the 4 inches flush.
Problem#1 I used a jigsaw to cut as far back as I can .. bonk..
the
plate(FOOT OF THE SAW) hits the backsplash, leaving about 1 1/2
inches to the end.
I started another cut 90 degrees on the end.. still not close
enough. Problem #2 the backsplash.. without really messing up the
wall how do I cut thru that.

--
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything
that counts can be counted."
-Albert Einstein

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and rent a countertop cutoff tool. Get the
one with a backsplash attachment. Rental is about $3.00 per day with a
$10 deposit. Just plug it in, position it on the counter where you
want it cut and hit the button. It's a wonderous tool and cuts it
perfectly every time. But it has to be a fresh cut. If you've already
started the cut with a jigsaw or something it won't work.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 03:31:45 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Dave
Jackson" quickly quoth:

I picked up one of these a couple of months ago. Sure has come in handy for
getting nice cuts in tight spaces. Has almost replaced my flush cut hand
saw. Check it out, may be just what you need-
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&s=hi&v=glance
--dave

I got their 9-1/2" version for $26 delivered via the FWW ad. It'll cut
a tubafore in half more quicly than a freshly sharpened Disston and
only use about 1/3 the effort in doing so! They're simply amazing.
http://thejapanwoodworker.com/produc...ept_ id=13088
I want the hardwood version next.
http://thejapanwoodworker.com/produc...ept_ id=13088

This is by far the best saw I've ever owned, and it's one of the
cheaper varieties that they sell at $30. Pro models are up to $90.
I love the ryoba shape, and the handle can be offset either way to
get into tight spots.

Regarding cutting the countertop splash, perhaps he can also cut it
from the inside of the cupboard below.

--
If you turn the United States on its side,
everything loose will fall to California.
Posted to rec.woodworking
No

Come on guys - I cant believe no one has suggested to remove the countertop
yet. They aren't that hard to remove and re-install. Harder, a bit, if there
is a sink but still not too difficult. Just find out where its screwed to
the cabinets and also look for glue or caulk. Cut the glue or caulk with a
putty knife.
"Jack_O" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pop

:
[...]

: get into tight spots.
:
: Regarding cutting the countertop splash, perhaps he can also
cut it
: from the inside of the cupboard below.

There's no name on it, but I've got one that's just great, and
very old to boot. The teeth on one side cut on the pull, the
other side cuts on the push, and it's curved slightly - you can
get an almost perfect cut right up flush with it.
You can't beat the tooth design on yours though; got a backsaw
like that and it's great.

With patience, these would work for that countertop but I think
I'd just find a flush-cut jigsaw blade or get out my sawzall with
a short flush-cut blade. It'd depend on how much the surrounding
damage mattered.
Sometimes tilting the front of the jigsaw up to get most of
the undercut done and then a hacksaw blade in a vice grip or
something to finish the last of the cut works too.

Pop