Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Barta

Default what saw do you use in this situation

Jack_O wrote:

Greetings.
My Mother n law feels she needs 4 inches or so cut off the end of
her counter top so she can add something, (movable cart or some
such thing.) There is approximately a 4 inch overhand from the
lower cuboard. OK no brainer cut off the 4 inches flush.
Problem#1 I used a jigsaw to cut as far back as I can .. bonk..
the
plate(FOOT OF THE SAW) hits the backsplash, leaving about 1 1/2
inches to the end.
I started another cut 90 degrees on the end.. still not close
enough. Problem #2 the backsplash.. without really messing up the
wall how do I cut thru that.

--
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything
that counts can be counted."

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and rent a countertop cutoff tool. Get the
one with a backsplash attachment. Rental is about $3.00 per day with a
$10 deposit. Just plug it in, position it on the counter where you
want it cut and hit the button. It's a wonderous tool and cuts it
perfectly every time. But it has to be a fresh cut. If you've already
started the cut with a jigsaw or something it won't work.