Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What I Got For Christmas Thread

Robatoy wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

Paradise is now the site of one of the biggest power generators
around. It's a big old coal burner too.

When going to EE school, we learned about Big Alice.
1350 MW on a single shaft. ( 1,800,000 HP!!!)(Thank God we got away from
that crazy way of thinking, you'd need THREE big generators to make up
for her dropping off line. Nobody wanted to pay for that kind of
potential sitting there idling.. waiting for Alice to poop her pants.)
Alice was a cute form of Allison Chalmers (IIRC). She belonged to the
TVA.
Would that be her?

I have no idea, I believe that there are several generators there. Up
until last year, you could look South when traveling West on the
Western Ky Parkway, just before you got into Muhlenburg county and you
could see two of the biggest falic symbols around. Two big old Peabody
draglines sitting on top of a hill. The booms all up in the air and
facing different directions. Paradise generator behind them. An
appropriate monument to the heyday of the coal industry that put
Muhlenburg county on the map. Well, They put one of them back into
service and I don't know where the other one went.

John Prine, I didn't even think of anyone other than Loretta Lynn when
I saw Daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenburg county. There are
still pretty girls there with coal black hair and snow white skin, and
eyes of every color :-)

Tom in KY, Sacramento, (BIG CITY) pop. 650.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

Sat, Dec 31, 2005, 9:27am George@least (George) has to ask:
Uh, pants?

Not as long as he has a leather apron.

JOAT
You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear".
What do you "know"?
- Granny Weatherwax

Posted to rec.woodworking

DonkeyHody wrote:
J T wrote:
Fri, Dec 30, 2005, 5:53pm (EST-3) (DonkeyHody)
mistakenly states:
Now I know a chainsaw ain't a proper woodworking tool, Snip
On the contrary, a chainsaw is a precision carving tool. You just
need to practice for a few minutes. No prob.

spew sawdust everywhere.
Can't hook up a dust collector - No way. Not to mention the DANGER.
I've never seen one with a blade guard. I guarantee that more people
were killed and maimed by chainsaws in the last decade than all the
exploding PVC air lines in the history of the world. It's downright
irresponsible to even consider buying one.

Sorry to go off on you like that, but I'm jumpy lately. I just haven't
been able to
sleep at night since they told me about the PVC pipe bomb in my shop.

DonkeyHody
"Give a hungry man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him to fish
. . . and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day."

Hey W.reckers,

When I was 12, my Father thought it would be fun to build a new house
without temporary electricity. We built that house with a chainsaw and
hand tools. I cut my first rafters there. And Oh - My! every cut had to
be absolutely Dang perfect! Working for Dad has a level of pressure
that is overwhelming.Besides, what 12 year old boy doesn't want to
build a house with hand tools while his friends all play ball and go to
the lake and all of the things that a 12 year old boy normally does? I
somehow managed to stay out of trouble that year.

A chain saw can be pretty precise, but my experience is that a low
angle block plane makes it 100% better. As with the plane, the sharper
the chainsaw, the better the cut. Blade Guard? Hurry up and sink it in
the wood. There's your blade guard.

Tom in KY, Dad was a subscriber to the Mother Earth News, Mom was just
glad it wasn't a mud-hut. I guess though someone may suggest a gasoline
burning generator in the basement with the windows open. Heh-heeeeee!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe_Stein

Used to be a company in Toledo, OH called Netcraft. DAGS.

Bob S wrote:

Got a nice 9' St. Croix fly rod and a House of Hardy reel. This is one
slippery slope too - just like woodworking but I can tie the two together
easily. Making a reel winder (like the one from Orvis) and plan to make
several different size net frames to try some simple steam bending. Anyone
know where to buy fish netting material?

As I recall Tom, don't you do a bit of fishing in your backyard?

Bob S.

"Tom Watson" wrote in message

Got a leather Everlast body bag.

The canvas one was wore out.

This one seems too soft.

Further Away Than Yesterday
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 20:23:11 -0500, Tom Watson wrote:

Got a leather Everlast body bag.

The canvas one was wore out.

This one seems too soft.

Further Away Than Yesterday
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

no big thing, Tom... my body has been wearing out for years.. *groan*

I got a Oneway Termite from my wife.. I think it's a hint to turn more vases...

Also got a carton of smokes and a "beers of the world" assortment from one of
the kids... maybe a "keep out of the shop" message??

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

I got a new Tundra truck. Now I can buy a sheet of ply without
planning and without cutting it up in the parking lot to fit into my
(sold) Honda Civic! Suddenly the garage feels a bit smaller.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Phisherman wrote:
I got a new Tundra truck.

I think that means you win.

Tom in KY, with a 97 F150, NOT FROM SANTA.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Gary in Virginia

wrote in message
oups.com...

Phisherman wrote:
I got a new Tundra truck.

I think that means you win.

Tom in KY, with a 97 F150, NOT FROM SANTA.

Not so fast. Santa brought me a new Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4X4 Crewcab.
Sweeeeeet!! It'll haul plywood flat in the bed, if you leave the tailgate
down. It replaces my '92 Chevy pickup. I'll post a picture on ABPW.
Gary

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gary in Virginia wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Phisherman wrote:
I got a new Tundra truck.

I think that means you win.
Tom in KY, with a 97 F150, NOT FROM SANTA.

Not so fast. Santa brought me a new Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4X4 Crewcab.
Sweeeeeet!!

Yeah, but, it's a Chevy.

Ha-Ha-Ha Congrats to both of you. We have two winners now!

Tom in KY, if Santa brought you a payment book with a truck, does that
mean that you were good or bad?

Posted to rec.woodworking
No

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
Got a leather Everlast body bag.

The canvas one was wore out.

This one seems too soft.

Further Away Than Yesterday
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Hmmm - Some Bessy clamps under the tree (They were used by me the couple of
weeks before Christmas), sweater, a lowes gift card and a few this and
thats.

Bought by me before Christmas to better equip santa's workshop
A Yorkcraft YC-8J Jointer
a Delta 22-580

Posted to rec.woodworking
B a r r y

No wrote:

Bought by me before Christmas to better equip santa's workshop
A Yorkcraft YC-8J Jointer

Good thing you got it early!

The reindeer hate delivering heavy 'urn. It also gives the sleigh a
super long takeoff roll, soiling Santa's shorts on smaller roofs.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Gary in Virginia

wrote in message
ups.com...

Gary in Virginia wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Phisherman wrote:
I got a new Tundra truck.

I think that means you win.
Tom in KY, with a 97 F150, NOT FROM SANTA.

Not so fast. Santa brought me a new Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4X4
Crewcab.
Sweeeeeet!!

Yeah, but, it's a Chevy.

Yep. That increases the gloat factor by at least 3.

Ha-Ha-Ha Congrats to both of you. We have two winners now!

Tom in KY, if Santa brought you a payment book with a truck, does that
mean that you were good or bad?

Nope. Paid cash for it. (I'm eating my seed corn.) See picture in
a.b.p.w.

If a Tundra is assembled in Kentucky (or is it Tennessee?) and a Chevy is
assembled in Canada, which is a foriegn made?

Gary

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gary in Virginia wrote:

Santa brought me a new Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4X4
Crewcab.
Sweeeeeet!!

Yeah, but, it's a Chevy.

Yep. That increases the gloat factor by at least 3.

Paid cash for it. (I'm eating my seed corn.)

?

Good Golly! How much does eating seed corn pay?!

!

If a Tundra is assembled in Kentucky (or is it Tennessee?) and a Chevy is
assembled in Canada, which is a foriegn made?

Gary

Kenyuckyo , Georgetown, Kentuckyo; Camry

Indianesia , Princeton, Indianesia; Tundra

Tenesseenami , Nissan trucks

Mexico , 60-70% of Dodge trucks

Posted to rec.woodworking

Norman D. Crow wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
OK, this almost becomes a gloat. SWMBO got me the Grizzly G0555 Band
Saw with riser block and mobile base. Mom got me the PC 4212 Dovetail
Jig. SWMBO followed it up with "The Workbench Book" by Lon Schleining.
Definitely nothing to whine about!

Yer gonna love it!(the G0555)

--
Nahmie
Stupidity is not considered a handicap, park elsewhere.

Well, I can't say that I love my G0555 The saw, riser kit and
mobile base arrived yesterday. Unfortunately, the riser kit was
missing the guidepost, which renders the saw unusable for my purposes.

Since then I have, so far, made 4 phone calls to Grizzly customer
support, spoken with 5 different people and received no indication or
assurances of when I might expect to receive the missing part. The one
manager I spoke with ( Victor ) was unable to provide any information
beyond "we've started the paperwork" and that multiple signatures were
required before he could even know when he would be able to ship me the
missing part. "It could take 2 or 3 days, it could take 2 or 3 weeks"
was what he said. When I asked if there was someone else I could call
he indicated that the only recourse left to me was to send an email to
. After that, I can't say it came as a big surprise
that my email has gone unanswered and unacknowledged.

Another customer service rep indicated that it could take 6 to 8
weeks before they recieved more guideposts. Apparently the missing
guidepost is backordered and for whatever reason, they won't just ship
me another riser kit ( I dunno, maybe all of the riser kits are missing
the guideposts, sigh...)

I just got of the phone with Grizzly again. I called to see if I
could return the unit since the missing guideposts makes it, to my mind
anyway, a defective unit ( my wife, an assistant attorney general,
suggested that I try to return the unit and when the General speaks,
well it's best to listen). After spending 6 or 7 mins on hold, the
customer service rep told me that they've "messaged" headquarters to
see if they can get authorization to send me the guidepost and
indicated that she would call me back in a couple of hours.

My decision to purchase this saw was made, in part, on what I have
read in this group concerning the G0555, as well as various kudos to
Grizzly's customer support. All I can say is that Grizzly must have
made some recent and significant changes to their customer support
preocesses. Either that, or I've somehow wandered into the Twilight
Zone. The level of customer support that I've experienced so far bears
no resemblence to what I've previously read about this company in this
group.

There really wasn't much difference in price between the 0555 and the
Jet Closed Base Bandsaw ( Model JWBS-14CS ) on sale at the local
Woodcraft store, a difference which I'm rapidly squandering on calls to
Grizzly's customer support center. The sad thing is that Grizzly could
have had much more of my money if they had treated me better ( i.e.:
Sorry that the part was missing Mr. Jordan, we'll overnight you a
replacement ). I have 5 "significant" power tool purchases planned for
the next 2 years ( assuming The General doesn't balk and I can
safely say that Grizzly is no longer on the list of vendors whom I
would consider purchasing from.