Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What I Got For Christmas Thread

DonkeyHody wrote:
J T wrote:
Fri, Dec 30, 2005, 5:53pm (EST-3) (DonkeyHody)
mistakenly states:
Now I know a chainsaw ain't a proper woodworking tool, Snip
On the contrary, a chainsaw is a precision carving tool. You just
need to practice for a few minutes. No prob.

spew sawdust everywhere.
Can't hook up a dust collector - No way. Not to mention the DANGER.
I've never seen one with a blade guard. I guarantee that more people
were killed and maimed by chainsaws in the last decade than all the
exploding PVC air lines in the history of the world. It's downright
irresponsible to even consider buying one.

Sorry to go off on you like that, but I'm jumpy lately. I just haven't
been able to
sleep at night since they told me about the PVC pipe bomb in my shop.

DonkeyHody
"Give a hungry man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him to fish
. . . and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day."

Hey W.reckers,

When I was 12, my Father thought it would be fun to build a new house
without temporary electricity. We built that house with a chainsaw and
hand tools. I cut my first rafters there. And Oh - My! every cut had to
be absolutely Dang perfect! Working for Dad has a level of pressure
that is overwhelming.Besides, what 12 year old boy doesn't want to
build a house with hand tools while his friends all play ball and go to
the lake and all of the things that a 12 year old boy normally does? I
somehow managed to stay out of trouble that year.

A chain saw can be pretty precise, but my experience is that a low
angle block plane makes it 100% better. As with the plane, the sharper
the chainsaw, the better the cut. Blade Guard? Hurry up and sink it in
the wood. There's your blade guard.

Tom in KY, Dad was a subscriber to the Mother Earth News, Mom was just
glad it wasn't a mud-hut. I guess though someone may suggest a gasoline
burning generator in the basement with the windows open. Heh-heeeeee!