Posted to rec.woodworking
Hedley

Default Paste Wax

Finally got the Rigid TS3650. It took 8 whole days after moving into the
new house before I got enough time to go get it and put it together. I did
install the two garage door openers and ran two 20 amp GFCI circuits to the
thrid bay of the garage first (115 feet of conduit in all), so don't think I
was sitting on my tail.

I meant to ask this question before, but it slipped my mind: What is paste
wax? You know, the stuff you are supposed to treat the table top with?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike O.

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 03:11:25 GMT, "Hedley"
wrote:

I meant to ask this question before, but it slipped my mind: What is paste
wax? You know, the stuff you are supposed to treat the table top with?

I think paste wax is like the old wax we used to use to wax a car
with. I've never use paste wax on a saw top but back in the day I did
use parafin.
For the last several years I've only use a product called
Top-Cote. I think a lot of the people here use it. It comes in a
spray can and although somewhat more expensive, works great and seems
to last pretty well.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

Hedley said:

Finally got the Rigid TS3650. It took 8 whole days after moving into the
new house before I got enough time to go get it and put it together. I did
install the two garage door openers and ran two 20 amp GFCI circuits to the
thrid bay of the garage first (115 feet of conduit in all), so don't think I
was sitting on my tail.

I meant to ask this question before, but it slipped my mind: What is paste
wax? You know, the stuff you are supposed to treat the table top with?

Meguires furniture wax, Johnsons Paste wax. Anything that does NOT
have silicone in it. Lowes used to carry Johnson's Paste wax in the
yellow tin.

Greg G.
Posted to rec.woodworking
DJ Delorie

Greg writes:
Meguires furniture wax, Johnsons Paste wax. Anything that does NOT
have silicone in it. Lowes used to carry Johnson's Paste wax in the
yellow tin.

Butcher's White Diamond Bowling Alley Wax also has no silicone.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lobby Dosser

Greg wrote:

Hedley said:

Finally got the Rigid TS3650. It took 8 whole days after moving into
the new house before I got enough time to go get it and put it
together. I did install the two garage door openers and ran two 20
amp GFCI circuits to the thrid bay of the garage first (115 feet of
conduit in all), so don't think I was sitting on my tail.

I meant to ask this question before, but it slipped my mind: What is
paste wax? You know, the stuff you are supposed to treat the table
top with?

Meguires furniture wax, Johnsons Paste wax. Anything that does NOT
have silicone in it. Lowes used to carry Johnson's Paste wax in the
yellow tin.

Greg G.

They still do. I bought a tin this week, only to discover the old half
full tin out in the shop a day later. And it's the red stripe tin. Legend
has it that the red stripe tin is better because it's banned in
Kalifornia. Or Somesuch.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Patriarch

Lobby Dosser wrote in

Greg wrote:

Hedley said:

[...]

You also want to make certain that the wax doesn't have any anti-slip
agents added. Wax, for this purpose at least, should be as slick as
reasonably possible.

I use Butcher's Bowling Alley Wax. Or Liberon's. Or one of the others.
There's more wax in the shop than I'll use in the next ten years, I'm
sure.

Congrats on the new home, and on the new saw. Enjoy both.

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 00:20:53 -0500, Greg wrote:

Hedley said:

Finally got the Rigid TS3650. It took 8 whole days after moving into the
new house before I got enough time to go get it and put it together. I did
install the two garage door openers and ran two 20 amp GFCI circuits to the
thrid bay of the garage first (115 feet of conduit in all), so don't think I
was sitting on my tail.

I meant to ask this question before, but it slipped my mind: What is paste
wax? You know, the stuff you are supposed to treat the table top with?

Meguires furniture wax, Johnsons Paste wax. Anything that does NOT
have silicone in it. Lowes used to carry Johnson's Paste wax in the
yellow tin.

Greg G.

Lowes still has it.. only place I can find it.. big, ugly yellow can for 4 or 5
bucks...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 09:44:39 GMT, Lobby Dosser
wrote:

They still do. I bought a tin this week, only to discover the old half
full tin out in the shop a day later. And it's the red stripe tin. Legend
has it that the red stripe tin is better because it's banned in
Kalifornia. Or Somesuch.

Has to be a myth.. only kind I've seen is with the red stripe and we're about as
central in CA as you can get.. (Fresno area)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking
John Emmons

At least some True Value hardware stores also carry the Johnson's paste wax.
I'm lucky to have one just down the road that carries it as well as a couple
of other types of paste wax including bowling alley wax. Can't imagine how
much of that they sell in a year...

John Emmons

wrote:

They still do. I bought a tin this week, only to discover the old half
full tin out in the shop a day later. And it's the red stripe tin. Legend
has it that the red stripe tin is better because it's banned in
Kalifornia. Or Somesuch.

Has to be a myth.. only kind I've seen is with the red stripe and we're

about as
central in CA as you can get.. (Fresno area)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking
B a r r y

John Emmons wrote:
At least some True Value hardware stores also carry the Johnson's paste wax.

ANY _good_ paint store will have canned paste wax.

Butcher's and Johnson's have already been mentioned, but there's also
Trewax, Briwax, etc...

Barry

Posted to rec.woodworking
nospambob

I found Johnson's at Do-It-Best on the So. Calif coast also. Previous
trip to 20 miles north of Fresno a small hardware independent had
Johnson's and Tree wax next to each other. Still in Calif.

wrote:

They still do. I bought a tin this week, only to discover the old half
full tin out in the shop a day later. And it's the red stripe tin. Legend
has it that the red stripe tin is better because it's banned in
Kalifornia. Or Somesuch.

Has to be a myth.. only kind I've seen is with the red stripe and we're about as
central in CA as you can get.. (Fresno area)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lobby Dosser

wrote:

They still do. I bought a tin this week, only to discover the old half
full tin out in the shop a day later. And it's the red stripe tin.
Legend has it that the red stripe tin is better because it's banned in
Kalifornia. Or Somesuch.

Has to be a myth.. only kind I've seen is with the red stripe and
we're about as central in CA as you can get.. (Fresno area)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Maybe it was Kanuckistan?
Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

wrote:

They still do. I bought a tin this week, only to discover the old half
full tin out in the shop a day later. And it's the red stripe tin.
Legend has it that the red stripe tin is better because it's banned in
Kalifornia. Or Somesuch.

Has to be a myth.. only kind I've seen is with the red stripe and
we're about as central in CA as you can get.. (Fresno area)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Maybe it was Kanuckistan?

That's a possibility... no telling what they might wax there..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique

wrote:

They still do. I bought a tin this week, only to discover the old
half full tin out in the shop a day later. And it's the red stripe
tin. Legend has it that the red stripe tin is better because it's
banned in Kalifornia. Or Somesuch.

Has to be a myth.. only kind I've seen is with the red stripe and
we're about as central in CA as you can get.. (Fresno area)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Maybe it was Kanuckistan?

That's a possibility... no telling what they might wax there..

Ice.

Now *that's* funny. "As slick as waxed ice." I like it.

JP