Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

Default Well, I put the trash can separator on top of the DC!

I asked if this was a good idea, but got no replies. Possibly you thought
it was so silly that it had to be a troll, but I prefer to think that it is
so progressive that no one could even visualize it.

I went ahead and did it.
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/DC.jpg
It is strong enough that I can sit on it, and I weigh a bit more than a
trashcan half full of wood chips.
Yeh, it has two right angle bends, but they are both in 5" pipe.

While you are there, my fine workmanship (well, maybe not as fine as the
trashcan on top of the dust collector) is at
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/. I've only been at this 2 years...

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom

Elegant, and space-saving to boot! Nice job! Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Toller (in ) said:

| I asked if this was a good idea, but got no replies. Possibly you
| thought it was so silly that it had to be a troll, but I prefer to
| think that it is so progressive that no one could even visualize it.

Actually, putting one atop the other has been discussed before. I've
been thinking of taking the bags off my DC and mounting the blower
portion only over the pair of tandem 55 gal drum cyclones. I haven't
had time to do it; but the idea was kicked around here for a while.

I wanted the drums in the lower position because I didn't want to need
a ladder to check the dust level and I didn't want to have to lift the
filled drums down from a raised position.

I doubt anyone thought you were trolling.

| I went ahead and did it.
| http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/DC.jpg
| It is strong enough that I can sit on it, and I weigh a bit more
| than a trashcan half full of wood chips.
| Yeh, it has two right angle bends, but they are both in 5" pipe.

Good for you! Well, I /think/ good for you - because you haven't said
anything at all about how well your new setup works...

| While you are there, my fine workmanship (well, maybe not as fine
| as the trashcan on top of the dust collector) is at
| http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/. I've only been at this 2
| years...

Interesting work. I like the organizer and the blanket chest; and
didn't download the DOC files (I would have liked to see your library
table.)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doubt if anyone throught you were trolling.
Its a valid question - ive been considering one as well.
Hell, Lee Valley sells them so they cant be that bad

But the real question is how well does it work? Big improvement?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Toller (in ) said:

| I asked if this was a good idea, but got no replies. Possibly you
| thought it was so silly that it had to be a troll, but I prefer to
| think that it is so progressive that no one could even visualize it.

Actually, putting one atop the other has been discussed before. I've
been thinking of taking the bags off my DC and mounting the blower
portion only over the pair of tandem 55 gal drum cyclones. I haven't
had time to do it; but the idea was kicked around here for a while.

I wanted the drums in the lower position because I didn't want to need
a ladder to check the dust level and I didn't want to have to lift the
filled drums down from a raised position.

I doubt anyone thought you were trolling.

| I went ahead and did it.
| http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/DC.jpg
| It is strong enough that I can sit on it, and I weigh a bit more
| than a trashcan half full of wood chips.
| Yeh, it has two right angle bends, but they are both in 5" pipe.

Good for you! Well, I /think/ good for you - because you haven't said
anything at all about how well your new setup works...

Works about the same a when the TCS was on the ground.
However, getting the lid off is difficult because there is not enough give
in the system. I think I am going to shorten the straight metal pipe 10
inches, ease the angle on the top 90, and extend the flexible pipe a foot.
It should have about the same amount of drag (more 4", but an easier angle
on the bend), but will be a bit more flexible.

| While you are there, my fine workmanship (well, maybe not as fine
| as the trashcan on top of the dust collector) is at
| http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/. I've only been at this 2
| years...

Interesting work. I like the organizer and the blanket chest; and
didn't download the DOC files (I would have liked to see your library
table.)

I couldn't find the jpeg I made the Doc file from. Shame on me. But you
should have a look at it; it is the prettiest piece. And have I ever given
you a virus before?!

Posted to rec.woodworking
rickluce

Doesn't this decrease your airflow quite a bit?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Hinz

On 29 Nov 2005 09:05:13 -0800, rickluce wrote:
Doesn't this decrease your airflow quite a bit?

Who or what are you responding to? You give zero context, so people who
aren't using google groups don't have any indications.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"rickluce" wrote in message
oups.com...
Doesn't this decrease your airflow quite a bit?

You mean my arrangement or the separator?
My arrangement doesn't seem to have any effect, nor should it.
I have read that separators reduce air flow by 40%, though I can't tell much
difference with or without it, so I think that 40% is exaggerated. But
there is a lot more opportunity for leaks. Unfortunately there is no good
way to measure airflow so it is hard to say.
However my 2hp DC will be fine for my uses even if the separator does reduce
airflow. (I bought it 2nd hand but never used for $250!)

Posted to rec.woodworking
rickluce

Yes I was speaking of the seperator. Looks like a nice system and
250.00 (why can't I ever get deals like that?!?!?!) I've thought about
a seperator for my Jet 1100 but flow reduction was what kept me away
from it. Not that I know a lot about fluid dynamics, but I wanted to
get as much out of my DC system as possible. I've read that having that
5"? pipe is great way to do things. But it seemed cost prohibitive to
me, and I have the micro switch gates so I went with 4" PVC. I might be
working against myself. Thanks for sharing the photos.
Don
Toller wrote:
"rickluce" wrote in message
oups.com...
Doesn't this decrease your airflow quite a bit?

You mean my arrangement or the separator?
My arrangement doesn't seem to have any effect, nor should it.
I have read that separators reduce air flow by 40%, though I can't tell much
difference with or without it, so I think that 40% is exaggerated. But
there is a lot more opportunity for leaks. Unfortunately there is no good
way to measure airflow so it is hard to say.
However my 2hp DC will be fine for my uses even if the separator does reduce
airflow. (I bought it 2nd hand but never used for $250!)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Toller (in ) said:

| And have I ever given you a virus before?!

That's what /she/ said!

;-D

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Toller (in ) said:

| I couldn't find the jpeg I made the Doc file from

I went back and pulled your DOC, extracted the photo, and turned the
room lights on.

Good looking piece of work! Would you like a JPEG? :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller (in ) said:

| I couldn't find the jpeg I made the Doc file from

I went back and pulled your DOC, extracted the photo, and turned the
room lights on.

Good looking piece of work! Would you like a JPEG? :-)

Thanks much.

Is it possible to get a JPEG out of a DOC? I fiddled around with it but
couldn't find anything. If you can explain the process, or do it for me, I
would be grateful. Sadly it is not around to be photographed again; selling
it was like selling a child.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"Mike" wrote in message
ups.com...

Toller wrote:
I asked if this was a good idea, but got no replies. Possibly you
thought
it was so silly that it had to be a troll, but I prefer to think that it
is
so progressive that no one could even visualize it.

I went ahead and did it.
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/DC.jpg

Interesting idea. Is there a 5" to 4" reducer before the separator
lid? The lids I've seen are all designed for 4" ducting.

Unfortunately, yes, there is a reducer. Perhaps the pressure reduction that
drops the stuff out works better coming from a 4".

It is strong enough that I can sit on it, and I weigh a bit more than a
trashcan half full of wood chips.
Yeh, it has two right angle bends, but they are both in 5" pipe.

While you are there, my fine workmanship (well, maybe not as fine as the
trashcan on top of the dust collector) is at
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/. I've only been at this 2 years...

Nice work. And if you got that far in 2 years, then excellent work.

Thank you.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Toller (in ) said:

| "Morris Dovey" wrote in message
|| Toller (in ) said:
||| I couldn't find the jpeg I made the Doc file from
|| I went back and pulled your DOC, extracted the photo, and turned
|| the room lights on.
|| Good looking piece of work! Would you like a JPEG? :-)
|
| Thanks much.
|
| Is it possible to get a JPEG out of a DOC? I fiddled around with
| it but couldn't find anything. If you can explain the process, or
| do it for me, I would be grateful. Sadly it is not around to be
| photographed again; selling it was like selling a child.

'Tis. I started up PaintShop Pro, then did a drag and drop from the
doc window into PSP's window, did a color gamma adjustment so I could
better see the grain, and saved the result as a JPEG. My copy of the
image isn't as crisp as the original, but it's not bad.

If you'd like, I can e-mail you the JPEG - or (if you give permission)
I can post it to ABPW.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 04:39:24 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I asked if this was a good idea, but got no replies. Possibly you thought
it was so silly that it had to be a troll, but I prefer to think that it is
so progressive that no one could even visualize it.

I went ahead and did it.
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/DC.jpg
It is strong enough that I can sit on it, and I weigh a bit more than a
trashcan half full of wood chips.
Yeh, it has two right angle bends, but they are both in 5" pipe.

I had visualized something completely different. That looks like a very
good idea and an neat way to gain back some floor space -- I'm going to
[try to] remember that. The [try to]? Severe case of can't remember stuff
anymore :-(