Mike S.

Default best things found in trash

In out town they have bulk trash pickup twice a year. This is like a super
free yard sale to us. Usually start in the middle class neighborhoods then
move to the richer side of town and it's fun. This past spring I loaded the
pickup full. I picked up a 8 ft piece of a new laminate countertop, no holes
cut in it, has the backsplace and rolled edges. (must have been cut wrong or
wrong color), a old oak 6 drawer dresser, fixed a few drawers and touched up
the finish and gave it to my daughter. A couple of exterior steel entry
doors with the double insulated glass panels, not sure how many gallons and
quart cans of name brand paints. Most of them half full or more. Also
several sheets of treated latice.
As I always said, one mans trash is another mans treasure.

--

Mike S.

http://members.tripod.com/n0yii/woodworking.htm

toller

My big score was an unused $300 rowing machine.

Lawrence L'Hote

"Mike S." wrote in message
m...
In out town they have bulk trash pickup twice a year. This is like a super
free yard sale to us. Usually start in the middle class neighborhoods then
move to the richer side of town and it's fun. This past spring I loaded
the pickup full.

-----snippage-----
As I always said, one mans trash is another mans treasure.

That's my kind of event!!! I'd be like the sow that found the door to the
corn crib open.

Larry

Joe

I'd sure love to do that too. It's illegal in our city (Rochester, NY)
though. Damn!

Federal law states that it cannot be illegal in a certain small town or city
if the trash is placed at the curb. There are a few cases where federal law
enforcement took the trash of a homeowner to search for evidence and the
homeowner claimed it was still their property until the garbage man showed
up. They lost.

If police can take it as discarded material without a warrant, it is public
domain so says the court ruling. Of course, you'd have to fight your
Rochester-based ticket in court to prove that...

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013

My eBay: http://tinyurl.com/4hpnc

Joe

In out town they have bulk trash pickup twice a year. This is like a super
free yard sale to us. Usually start in the middle class neighborhoods then

CLIP

You should check out the newsgroup alt.dumpster. It's kind of spam filled,
but there are dedicated curbside recyclers there like none you've ever met.
Some great ideas and tips on where and how to find stuff as well as legal
perspective.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013

My eBay: http://tinyurl.com/4hpnc

Lawrence L'Hote

"Joe" wrote in message

CLIP

You should check out the newsgroup alt.dumpster.

also see
http://dumpsterworld.com/

Norman D. Crow

wrote:

In out town they have bulk trash pickup twice a year. This is like a

super
free yard sale to us. Usually start in the middle class neighborhoods

then
move to the richer side of town and it's fun. This past spring I loaded

the

I'd sure love to do that too. It's illegal in our city (Rochester, NY)
though. Damn!

Same thing here in Jamestown, NY James. It's called "scavenging", and they
will stop & ticket you during the Spring/Fall cleanup.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Robatoy

In article ,
"Mike S." wrote:

In out town they have bulk trash pickup twice a year. This is like a super
free yard sale to us. Usually start in the middle class neighborhoods then
move to the richer side of town and it's fun. This past spring I loaded the
pickup full. I picked up a 8 ft piece of a new laminate countertop, no holes
cut in it, has the backsplace and rolled edges. (must have been cut wrong or
wrong color), a old oak 6 drawer dresser, fixed a few drawers and touched up
the finish and gave it to my daughter. A couple of exterior steel entry
doors with the double insulated glass panels, not sure how many gallons and
quart cans of name brand paints. Most of them half full or more. Also
several sheets of treated latice.
As I always said, one mans trash is another mans treasure.

7-foot stainless chemistry-lab countertop with integral sink in
absolutly mint, dent and scratch free condition with 1 1/2" edges all
around.
It now lives next to my BBQ outside awaiting the day I get a wine-making
station set up in my basement...that will be..mmm 2025?
I wasn't a regular visitor here yet, because, believe-you-me, I would
have gloated.

0¿0

Rob

toller

wrote:

In out town they have bulk trash pickup twice a year. This is like a super
free yard sale to us. Usually start in the middle class neighborhoods then
move to the richer side of town and it's fun. This past spring I loaded
the

I'd sure love to do that too. It's illegal in our city (Rochester, NY)
though. Damn!

I didn't know that! I will put the rowing machine back.
I almost forgot the Nordic Track, but that needed a $5 bearing replaced.

TrailRat

You could also try freecycling. Where people give away stuff by leaving
a message on a website dedicated to your area. I've got mountains of
timber that way.

http://www.freecycle.org/

Joe

You could also try freecycling. Where people give away stuff by leaving
a message on a website dedicated to your area. I've got mountains of
timber that way.

http://www.freecycle.org/

WARNING! WARNING! DING! DING! ALARM! ALARM!!!!

Addictive group. Once you start reading, you find you have "needs" for
things you really don't necessarily have room for.

....I participate in a few local freecycle groups and try to give stuff away
but find myself picking stuff up from time to time too...

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
http://www.autodrill.com
http://www.multi-spindle-heads.com

V8013

My eBay: http://tinyurl.com/4hpnc

brocpuffs

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:13:35 GMT, "toller" wrote:

I'd sure love to do that too. It's illegal in our city (Rochester, NY)
though. Damn!

I didn't know that! I will put the rowing machine back.
I almost forgot the Nordic Track, but that needed a $5 bearing replaced.

Aw. Just leave an anonymous note where the stuff was, saying you
didn't realize its frowned upon and you will say a few words of
penance. Something like that-

From what Nahmie said, it may be a local ordinance kind of thing. Not
really sure. Aw, grab it while you can!!! That law makes no sense to
me.

James

Lawrence L'Hote

"Joe" wrote in message
In out town they have bulk trash pickup twice a year. This is like a
super free yard sale to us. Usually start in the middle class
neighborhoods then
WARNING! WARNING! DING! DING! ALARM! ALARM!!!!

Addictive group. Once you start reading, you find you have "needs" for
things you really don't necessarily have room for.

You know it, Joe!!! All this dumpster talk ...and I had to get my dd fix.
Went by some of my favorite dumpsters and picked up a large piece of 14
gauge sheet, some square thinwall and 5 nice drawers from a bureau beside a
Salvation Army dumpster. I had to leave the bureau because I already had a
full load and it needed a little more than TLC to get it back in shape. I'm
making a return visit to that dumpster where I picked up the steel to pick
up some wire merchandise display baskets and some more of that thinwall.

http://home.mchsi.com/~lhote5/dumpster-saturday1big.jpg

These drawers, notice, have machine cut dovetails front and back and the
sides look rather exotic. The brass hardware pulls look useful.

http://home.mchsi.com/~lhote5/dumpster-saturday2big.jpg

Larry

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S.
[...]

When I was in college I furnished my apartment from the dumpster behing a furniture store - sofa, bed, etc. The only thing I had to buy was the cinder blocks for the book shelves. A friend who was studying interior designed referred to it as being decorated in the style of "neo-ecletcic poverty".

Absolutely the best dumpster find was about 80 identical pieces of
software (cd with manuals) still shrink wrapped and in boxes, behind
the local phone company. They were cleaning out and just trashed it.
Sold them on eBay for about $90 each. I was a very happy diver.
Of course, this type of thing only feeds my addiction.

Dan

Silvan

Robatoy wrote:

7-foot stainless chemistry-lab countertop with integral sink in
absolutly mint, dent and scratch free condition with 1 1/2" edges all
around.
It now lives next to my BBQ outside awaiting the day I get a wine-making
station set up in my basement...that will be..mmm 2025?
I wasn't a regular visitor here yet, because, believe-you-me, I would
have gloated.

You can do a gloat ex post facto. It's allowed. Just not more than once in
any one calendar year.

You suck.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Prometheus

wrote:

In out town they have bulk trash pickup twice a year. This is like a super
free yard sale to us. Usually start in the middle class neighborhoods then
move to the richer side of town and it's fun. This past spring I loaded the
pickup full. I picked up a 8 ft piece of a new laminate countertop, no holes
cut in it, has the backsplace and rolled edges. (must have been cut wrong or
wrong color), a old oak 6 drawer dresser, fixed a few drawers and touched up
the finish and gave it to my daughter. A couple of exterior steel entry
doors with the double insulated glass panels, not sure how many gallons and
quart cans of name brand paints. Most of them half full or more. Also
several sheets of treated latice.
As I always said, one mans trash is another mans treasure.

Too bad you weren't around when I was moving- I got rid of all sorts
of stuff that wasn't even really junk, it just never got used.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Norman D. Crow

"brocpuffs" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:13:35 GMT, "toller" wrote:

I'd sure love to do that too. It's illegal in our city (Rochester, NY)
though. Damn!

I didn't know that! I will put the rowing machine back.
I almost forgot the Nordic Track, but that needed a $5 bearing replaced.

Aw. Just leave an anonymous note where the stuff was, saying you
didn't realize its frowned upon and you will say a few words of
penance. Something like that-

From what Nahmie said, it may be a local ordinance kind of thing. Not
really sure. Aw, grab it while you can!!! That law makes no sense to
me.

Must be local. Makes me sick when guys here start talking about "dump runs",
because our local landfill will NOT allow you to take anything. Something to
do with liability. SIL wanted a nice Stainless Steel playground slide that
was @ the landfill metal bin, they wouldn't let him have it.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Robert Allison

wrote:

[...]

You should try this site:

http://www.freecycle.org/

Great place if you have a group in your town or area.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
John T

I was watching the "Garage Takeover" on discovery Saturday. While not a
bad show, the "crush time" was kinda dumb. They'd take the things the
owners considered trash and crush them with a backhoe. While some of it
was truly junk some things were perfectly good and could have been sold
at a yard sale or given to goodwill.

John

LRod

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 09:24:19 -0500, "Norman D. Crow"
wrote:

Must be local. Makes me sick when guys here start talking about "dump runs",
because our local landfill will NOT allow you to take anything. Something to
do with liability. SIL wanted a nice Stainless Steel playground slide that
was @ the landfill metal bin, they wouldn't let him have it.

Your sister-in-law is a him?

Oh. Sorry. Figured it out. Must be the other sites I visit...

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Snip
These drawers, notice, have machine cut dovetails front and back and

the
sides look rather exotic. The brass hardware pulls look useful.

http://home.mchsi.com/~lhote5/dumpster-saturday2big.jpg

Larry

Why would these drawers have dovetails at the backs of the drawers,
particularly oriented to keep the sides pulling away from the back,
rather than the other way around? Is this common? If so, why? Is it
just to add, um, cachet to a piece of furniture?

The reason I ask is that a friend called me yesterday and asked how to
repair a drawer with (apparently) similar construction. It's hard to
tell this sort of thing over the phone. I guess the drawer had
dovetails at the back of the drawer, and a rabbet joint glued and
stapled at the front. Obviously not high-quality stuff. Why put the
expensive (and good) joint at the back of the drawer?
Thanks.

-Phil Crow

Mark & Juanita

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 09:24:19 -0500, "Norman D. Crow"
wrote:

"brocpuffs" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:13:35 GMT, "toller" wrote:

I'd sure love to do that too. It's illegal in our city (Rochester, NY)
though. Damn!

I didn't know that! I will put the rowing machine back.
I almost forgot the Nordic Track, but that needed a $5 bearing replaced.

Aw. Just leave an anonymous note where the stuff was, saying you
didn't realize its frowned upon and you will say a few words of
penance. Something like that-

From what Nahmie said, it may be a local ordinance kind of thing. Not
really sure. Aw, grab it while you can!!! That law makes no sense to
me.

Must be local. Makes me sick when guys here start talking about "dump runs",
because our local landfill will NOT allow you to take anything. Something to
do with liability. SIL wanted a nice Stainless Steel playground slide that
was @ the landfill metal bin, they wouldn't let him have it.

Our landfill has a sign indicating that taking things from the landfill
constitutes theft.

Seems kinda heavy-handed.

I'm not sure that this is driven by liability so much as practicality and
safety. At our landfill, the earth-movers are busy filling in not too far
from where people are dumping. Given the lack of common sense and common
courtesy prevalent in today's society, I can see people getting themselves
in the way of the earth movers while trying to pull out that "one really
cool thing" they see just before it is about to get buried.

DL

wrote:

As I always said, one mans trash is another mans treasure.

I found a Baby Ruth Candy Bar once. At least I think it was a Baby
Ruth as the package was gone.

Hmmm.

- -

DL

http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm

"Hopefully with the demon-spawn Whitsitt out of the
picture our scouts and coaches will be able to do their jobs."

::::::::::::::::

Halter Sucks!
Norman D. Crow

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 09:24:19 -0500, "Norman D. Crow"
wrote:

"brocpuffs" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:13:35 GMT, "toller" wrote:

I'd sure love to do that too. It's illegal in our city (Rochester,

NY)
though. Damn!

I didn't know that! I will put the rowing machine back.
I almost forgot the Nordic Track, but that needed a $5 bearing

replaced.

Aw. Just leave an anonymous note where the stuff was, saying you
didn't realize its frowned upon and you will say a few words of
penance. Something like that-

From what Nahmie said, it may be a local ordinance kind of thing. Not
[...]

Ours is at the transfer station, where you empty it into a big compactor
trailer, then they haul it out to the actual landfill. They have other
containers around for cans, bottles, etc., and a big "pit" to drop the metal
stuff into, so there's no big equipment around. They claimed if they let SIL
have it and then his kid got hurt on it, he *might* sue, that's why they
wouldn't let him have it.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

LRod

wrote:

As I always said, one mans trash is another mans treasure.

I found a Baby Ruth Candy Bar once. At least I think it was a Baby
Ruth as the package was gone.

Was that after they had drained the pool?

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
GregP

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 02:08:21 -0600, Prometheus
wrote:

Too bad you weren't around when I was moving- I got rid of all sorts
of stuff that wasn't even really junk, it just never got used.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

We put stuff like that out on the curb. It's usually gone
within half an hour.

Old Nick

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 15:35:47 GMT, "Mike S."
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Girlfriend I had for a while......
Ed Clarke

wrote:

Too bad you weren't around when I was moving- I got rid of all sorts
of stuff that wasn't even really junk, it just never got used.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

We put stuff like that out on the curb. It's usually gone
within half an hour.

GLOAT:

Sister-In-Law was moving to Florida. She put an old table out at the
curb but called us in case we wanted it. We took it.

L.G. Stickley

She later decided the matching china cabinet didn't go with her modern
home and shipped it from Florida to us in NY. Also LG Stickley.

UnGloat:

Some dipstick lost the table inserts (table expands to 8 feet long by
4 feet wide). I need to duplicate the inserts - got the ammonia and
a source of white oak, but my shop is sub-zero right now.

--
"De inimico non loquaris sed cogites."
mac davis

wrote:

In out town they have bulk trash pickup twice a year. This is like a super
free yard sale to us. Usually start in the middle class neighborhoods then
move to the richer side of town and it's fun. This past spring I loaded the
pickup full. I picked up a 8 ft piece of a new laminate countertop, no holes
cut in it, has the backsplace and rolled edges. (must have been cut wrong or
wrong color), a old oak 6 drawer dresser, fixed a few drawers and touched up
the finish and gave it to my daughter. A couple of exterior steel entry
doors with the double insulated glass panels, not sure how many gallons and
quart cans of name brand paints. Most of them half full or more. Also
several sheets of treated latice.
As I always said, one mans trash is another mans treasure.

We call it "big stuff day" here... spring and fall..

2 best days were a 4 seat spa that needed an air pump and a drill
press with a "frozen motor"...

we still use the spa and I sold the DP for $100 after loosening the
tension on the belt and taking the twist out of it..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 11:39:08 -0500, "Norman D. Crow"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

In out town they have bulk trash pickup twice a year. This is like a

super
free yard sale to us. Usually start in the middle class neighborhoods

then
move to the richer side of town and it's fun. This past spring I loaded

the

I'd sure love to do that too. It's illegal in our city (Rochester, NY)
though. Damn!

Same thing here in Jamestown, NY James. It's called "scavenging", and they
will stop & ticket you during the Spring/Fall cleanup.

wow.. we encourage "junque-a-teers" here...
I'd rather my stuff got reused or sold for scrap then have it in the
landfill...
we have convoys of folks going by all day... some just for metal, some
for appliances, most just for "collectibles"...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Lawrence L'Hote

wrote in message
oups.com...
Snip

---snip----
stapled at the front. Obviously not high-quality stuff. Why put the
expensive (and good) joint at the back of the drawer?
Thanks.

Sorry Phil it took so long to get back to you. I made about 20 dt drawers
for my kitchen and bath and I put half blind dts on the back and rabbeted on
the fronts. Once you have your jig set up it takes only minutes to do all
four sides of the drawer. I never considered that the dt on the back to be
more expensive in $$$ or time. If you look at some good, antique drawers
you'll find dt's on the back... FWIW I saw some on some furniture at the
Chicago Art Museum...boy!! did I get yelled at by the guard when she found
me pulling out the drawers.

Larry

Very OT - recovering data from a Compact Flash card David W.E. Roberts UK diy 17 May 10th 04 10:29 PM
Found a BackHoe RogerN Metalworking 10 March 3rd 04 01:54 PM
Boxing things up to move house... Scott M UK diy 16 January 22nd 04 04:14 PM
Things I wish I'd realised [email protected] UK diy 3 September 15th 03 02:13 AM
OT-California In revolt PrecisionMachinist Metalworking 104 August 5th 03 11:15 PM