Snip
These drawers, notice, have machine cut dovetails front and back and

the
sides look rather exotic. The brass hardware pulls look useful.

http://home.mchsi.com/~lhote5/dumpster-saturday2big.jpg

Larry

Why would these drawers have dovetails at the backs of the drawers,
particularly oriented to keep the sides pulling away from the back,
rather than the other way around? Is this common? If so, why? Is it
just to add, um, cachet to a piece of furniture?

The reason I ask is that a friend called me yesterday and asked how to
repair a drawer with (apparently) similar construction. It's hard to
tell this sort of thing over the phone. I guess the drawer had
dovetails at the back of the drawer, and a rabbet joint glued and
stapled at the front. Obviously not high-quality stuff. Why put the
expensive (and good) joint at the back of the drawer?
Thanks.

-Phil Crow