Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

Default Would I regret buying Uniklamps?

I know Bessey Uniklamps (the gray ones) are advertised as light-duty
K-body clamps, so they wouldn't be quite as brawny as the real red
ones. However, Amazon's prices are pretty tempting ($75 for two of
each 6", 12", and 18"), and these size ranges are what I use most.
Reviews at Amazon are generally positive. Would these be a good
introduction to parallel-jaw clamping (I don't have any yet), or would
I be disappointed and just want to get some real K-bodys or Cabinet
Masters? I was thinking of eventually getting some of the 40" K-bodys
(also only $30 ea at Amazon) for larger or heavier-duty applications.
I'd appreciate comments from anyone who has used both Uniklamps and
"real" parallel-jaw clamps (K-body, Cabinet Master, Gross Stabil).
Thanks a lot,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Andy wrote:

I know Bessey Uniklamps (the gray ones) are advertised as light-duty
K-body clamps, so they wouldn't be quite as brawny as the real red
ones. However, Amazon's prices are pretty tempting ($75 for two of
each 6", 12", and 18"), and these size ranges are what I use most.
Reviews at Amazon are generally positive. Would these be a good
introduction to parallel-jaw clamping (I don't have any yet), or would
I be disappointed and just want to get some real K-bodys or Cabinet
Masters? I was thinking of eventually getting some of the 40" K-bodys
(also only $30 ea at Amazon) for larger or heavier-duty applications.
I'd appreciate comments from anyone who has used both Uniklamps and
"real" parallel-jaw clamps (K-body, Cabinet Master, Gross Stabil).
Thanks a lot,
Andy

I use the Uni's a ton. I have all 3 sizes and find them super for small
glue ups AND for holding fixtures (or is it jigs?). They have plenty of
holding power for small glue ups. My shortest K body is 31, so that's a
PITA for it's weight and length for small projects. Since the K bodies
work great for the larger stuff, I see no need to intermix other brands
of clamps in my shop.

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
www

No, you wouldn't regret it, in fact it is a very good deal!
http://tinyurl.com/8nmgw (Link to product in question)

I have several UniKlamps and many more K-Body's. The UniKlamps hold their
own for the less heavy clamping tasks, but you can still apply a fair bit of
pressure using the UniKlamps too. They are a great cost-effective clamping
solution for lots of woodworking tasks. Go for it!

Dean

Posted to rec.woodworking
DonkeyHody

Andy wrote:
Would these be a good
introduction to parallel-jaw clamping (I don't have any yet), or would
I be disappointed and just want to get some real K-bodys or Cabinet
Masters?

Andy,
It won't matter whether you buy the Uniklamps or not. Whether you buy
them or not, whether you're disappointed or not; either way, you'll
need more clamps someday. You can get the K-Bodies then. Most of us
who've been at this a while have a ton of clamps of all shapes and
sizes. You'll find plenty of uses for the Unis even after you get the
K-Bodies.

DonkeyHody
"Every man is my superior in that I can learn from him." - DonkeyHody

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce Barnett

"Andy" writes:

I was thinking of eventually getting some of the 40" K-bodys
(also only $30 ea at Amazon) for larger or heavier-duty applications.
I'd appreciate comments from anyone who has used both Uniklamps and
"real" parallel-jaw clamps (K-body, Cabinet Master, Gross Stabil).

I got the $99 K-Body 4-pack from Amazon, and the 40-inchers are HEAVY.
You have to make sure the legs are supported at the far end so the
klamps don't tilt.

I can see having some lighter clamps for small projects.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

On 20 Nov 2005 20:28:52 -0800, "Andy" wrote:

I know Bessey Uniklamps (the gray ones) are advertised as light-duty
K-body clamps, so they wouldn't be quite as brawny as the real red
ones. However, Amazon's prices are pretty tempting ($75 for two of
each 6", 12", and 18"), and these size ranges are what I use most.
Reviews at Amazon are generally positive. Would these be a good
introduction to parallel-jaw clamping (I don't have any yet), or would
I be disappointed and just want to get some real K-bodys or Cabinet
Masters? I was thinking of eventually getting some of the 40" K-bodys
(also only $30 ea at Amazon) for larger or heavier-duty applications.
I'd appreciate comments from anyone who has used both Uniklamps and
"real" parallel-jaw clamps (K-body, Cabinet Master, Gross Stabil).
Thanks a lot,
Andy

I'm sure these would be useful and adequate for some assemblies. The
regular Bessey K-body clamps are worth every penny. (The only clamps
I really regret buying were those made in China.)
Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

"Phisherman" wrote in message
news
[...]

You should try the ones from Homier. I thought $3 was cheap, but worth a
try.
When you tighten the screw, the aluminum stops just rip out. Apparently it
they are easier to make if you use really soft aluminum.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 23:51:22 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

[...]

Well, you know machine tools are really expensive. If you can pick a
material that's softer than your tools they last a whole lot longer. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking
Ken

They are very good clamps. I use them to glue up raised panel doors.
I have about 12 of the 18", at times wish I had more.

ken

"Toller" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy

Hi all,
Thanks very much for sharing your experiences and opinions - I ordered
the set from Amazon today...
Andy