Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller

Default Would I regret buying Uniklamps?

"Phisherman" wrote in message
news
On 20 Nov 2005 20:28:52 -0800, "Andy" wrote:

I know Bessey Uniklamps (the gray ones) are advertised as light-duty
K-body clamps, so they wouldn't be quite as brawny as the real red
ones. However, Amazon's prices are pretty tempting ($75 for two of
each 6", 12", and 18"), and these size ranges are what I use most.
Reviews at Amazon are generally positive. Would these be a good
introduction to parallel-jaw clamping (I don't have any yet), or would
I be disappointed and just want to get some real K-bodys or Cabinet
Masters? I was thinking of eventually getting some of the 40" K-bodys
(also only $30 ea at Amazon) for larger or heavier-duty applications.
I'd appreciate comments from anyone who has used both Uniklamps and
"real" parallel-jaw clamps (K-body, Cabinet Master, Gross Stabil).
Thanks a lot,
Andy

I'm sure these would be useful and adequate for some assemblies. The
regular Bessey K-body clamps are worth every penny. (The only clamps
I really regret buying were those made in China.)

You should try the ones from Homier. I thought $3 was cheap, but worth a
try.
When you tighten the screw, the aluminum stops just rip out. Apparently it
they are easier to make if you use really soft aluminum.