Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

Default Would I regret buying Uniklamps?

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 23:51:22 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message
news
On 20 Nov 2005 20:28:52 -0800, "Andy" wrote:

I know Bessey Uniklamps (the gray ones) are advertised as light-duty
K-body clamps, so they wouldn't be quite as brawny as the real red
ones. However, Amazon's prices are pretty tempting ($75 for two of
each 6", 12", and 18"), and these size ranges are what I use most.
Reviews at Amazon are generally positive. Would these be a good
introduction to parallel-jaw clamping (I don't have any yet), or would
I be disappointed and just want to get some real K-bodys or Cabinet
Masters? I was thinking of eventually getting some of the 40" K-bodys
(also only $30 ea at Amazon) for larger or heavier-duty applications.
I'd appreciate comments from anyone who has used both Uniklamps and
"real" parallel-jaw clamps (K-body, Cabinet Master, Gross Stabil).
Thanks a lot,
Andy

I'm sure these would be useful and adequate for some assemblies. The
regular Bessey K-body clamps are worth every penny. (The only clamps
I really regret buying were those made in China.)

You should try the ones from Homier. I thought $3 was cheap, but worth a
try.
When you tighten the screw, the aluminum stops just rip out. Apparently it
they are easier to make if you use really soft aluminum.

Well, you know machine tools are really expensive. If you can pick a
material that's softer than your tools they last a whole lot longer. :-)