Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Default Would I regret buying Uniklamps?

Andy wrote:

I know Bessey Uniklamps (the gray ones) are advertised as light-duty
K-body clamps, so they wouldn't be quite as brawny as the real red
ones. However, Amazon's prices are pretty tempting ($75 for two of
each 6", 12", and 18"), and these size ranges are what I use most.
Reviews at Amazon are generally positive. Would these be a good
introduction to parallel-jaw clamping (I don't have any yet), or would
I be disappointed and just want to get some real K-bodys or Cabinet
Masters? I was thinking of eventually getting some of the 40" K-bodys
(also only $30 ea at Amazon) for larger or heavier-duty applications.
I'd appreciate comments from anyone who has used both Uniklamps and
"real" parallel-jaw clamps (K-body, Cabinet Master, Gross Stabil).
Thanks a lot,
Andy

I use the Uni's a ton. I have all 3 sizes and find them super for small
glue ups AND for holding fixtures (or is it jigs?). They have plenty of
holding power for small glue ups. My shortest K body is 31, so that's a
PITA for it's weight and length for small projects. Since the K bodies
work great for the larger stuff, I see no need to intermix other brands
of clamps in my shop.

Dave