Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Kanter

Default OT dangerous dogs

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
"Worry about the legal niceties later, after their safety is
assured."....

.....And their daddy is in jail.

Folks, I have no problems with guns....it's the guy holding them that I
many times question the wisdom of.

Owning a gun is a privilege and with the gun comes the responsibility
if it is used.

Use a gun properly and you may save a life...use it wrong and you may
spend the rest of your life in jail and bankrupt your family.

I'd estimate that 1 out of 3 times the local paper has a story about a
vicious dog attack, the cops shoot the animal right on the spot. The real
problem is likely to be the use of a gun in certain surroundings. But, as
Miller said, it might come down to a choice of having maimed or dead kids,
or being legally safe.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Kanter

"Vic Baron" wrote in message
t...
.....And their daddy is in jail.

For shooting a DOG? Where the hell do you live? I sure wouldn't want
to be there.

You bet your sweet ass. Every hear of animal cruelty?

Addressing only the cruelty aspect he If a mosquito is annoying you and
waving it away repeatedly with your hand is ineffective, please describe
what you might do next?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale

"Doug Miller" wrote in message news:ItZgf.1236
Of course. Most law abiding Canadians don't have guns so it makes sense

that
the criminal element who do have guns are more likely to use them.

And this is better exactly how?

The fewer guns there are in society, the fewer times they're going to be
used. You seem to think that only criminals use guns. How many law abiding
citizens have shot someone in a fit of rage or simply when they've lost
their temper? How many kids have been shot accidentally when play with their
parent's gun? How many accidents have there been?

How many shootings have happened simply because a gun has been available
instead of a knife, or baseball bat or even fists. While those three things
can definitely kill, they don't come close to inflicting the carnage on the
human body that a bullet can.

Is that simple enough an explanation for you?

You seem to think that just because the US permits it's citizens the
greatest latitude of human rights anywhere, it's necessary for everyone to
go out and partake of all those rights. While owning a gun is one your
rights, it doesn't for one second mean that it's a good right. The human
species it too self centred and too arrogant to know any better.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:48:54 -0500, Upscale wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message news:ItZgf.1236
Of course. Most law abiding Canadians don't have guns so it makes sense

that
the criminal element who do have guns are more likely to use them.

And this is better exactly how?

The fewer guns there are in society, the fewer times they're going to be
used.

"used" doesn't tell the story. It's how they're _being_ used that
matters. I "use" my guns all the time, for their intended
purposes...recreation, investment, enjoyment, historical study,
engineering insights, and so on.

You seem to think that only criminals use guns. How many law abiding
citizens have shot someone in a fit of rage or simply when they've lost
their temper?

By definition, zero.

How many kids have been shot accidentally when play with their
parent's gun? How many accidents have there been?

More than there should be, of course. How many defensive uses of
firearms happen, which don't involve a shot being fired?

How many shootings have happened simply because a gun has been available
instead of a knife, or baseball bat or even fists. While those three things
can definitely kill, they don't come close to inflicting the carnage on the
human body that a bullet can.

Again, you're lumping all gun use into the same category. Not all of
us are criminals.

Is that simple enough an explanation for you?

It gives good insight into your limited understanding of the situation,
yes, but I'm guessing that's not what you meant.

You seem to think that just because the US permits it's citizens the
greatest latitude of human rights anywhere, it's necessary for everyone to
go out and partake of all those rights. While owning a gun is one your
rights, it doesn't for one second mean that it's a good right. The human
species it too self centred and too arrogant to know any better.

And you'd rather have me disarmed while the criminals run around knowing
they're safe, then? After all, the criminals won't give up their guns,
because, _they're criminals_. By definition, they don't follow laws,
you see. So, if honest people _do_ disarm, and the dishonest people
_don't_ disarm, the only people who are safer, are the criminals.

Not my idea of a good thing.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller

In article , "Upscale" wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message news:ItZgf.1236
Of course. Most law abiding Canadians don't have guns so it makes sense

that
the criminal element who do have guns are more likely to use them.

And this is better exactly how?

The fewer guns there are in society, the fewer times they're going to be
used.

Clearly contradicted by the statistics that I cited. (BTW, those came from a
Canadian gun control group's web site.)

You seem to think that only criminals use guns.

Where did you get that idea? Certainly wasn't from anything I wrote.

How many law abiding
citizens have shot someone in a fit of rage or simply when they've lost
their temper? How many kids have been shot accidentally when play with their
parent's gun? How many accidents have there been?

All those combined are nowhere nearly as numerous as the criminal misuses of
firearms. And I think you know that. If you don't... educate yourself before
debating the topic further.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking
badger

Upscale wrote:

How many shootings have happened simply because a gun has been available
instead of a knife, or baseball bat or even fists. While those three things
can definitely kill, they don't come close to inflicting the carnage on the
human body that a bullet can.

Hummm, a retired family member was a senior police officer, not a grad
entrant to rank mind, worked his way up from cadet, he until recently
always said knife and cosh carriers were more inclined to use their
weapons then those with guns, now with the spread of the former eastern
bloc gangs it doesn't matter, unless you stay safe (whatever that means)
you need the means and will and not a little luck...

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T

This IS a woodworking group. So, the guy should take a wooden
basebal bat out, and beat the crap out of the dog. Now that I think on
it, a wooden handled pitch fork would probably work even better - hard
to get on a guy out doing yard work, and has to protect his kids from a
viscious dog.

Remember, when they take our pitch forks away, only criminals will have
pitch forks.

JOAT
Just pretend I'm not here. That's what I'm doing.

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"J T" wrote in message

Remember, when they take our pitch forks away, only criminals will have
pitch forks.

I'm here to tell that a manure fork makes a great argument against an Akita.
Happy to say the SOB got some infections, even though I was just fending
off, not trying to impale him.

Then my German shepherd came around the corner of the house and literally
chewed his ass the 200 feet down the driveway before turning back.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Kanter

"George" George@least wrote in message

"J T" wrote in message

Remember, when they take our pitch forks away, only criminals will have
pitch forks.

I'm here to tell that a manure fork makes a great argument against an
Akita. Happy to say the SOB got some infections, even though I was just
fending off, not trying to impale him.

Then my German shepherd came around the corner of the house and literally
chewed his ass the 200 feet down the driveway before turning back.

I don't use the word "hate" very often, but I really hate dogs. However, I'd
welcome one like your German Shepherd. Is he good at removing the seat of
the pants worn by dog owners who don't obey when you ask them to take their
"curbed" dog someplace else?

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
I don't use the word "hate" very often, but I really hate dogs. However,
I'd welcome one like your German Shepherd. Is he good at removing the seat
of the pants worn by dog owners who don't obey when you ask them to take
their "curbed" dog someplace else?

He's a great dog, and as dog lovers who've had two dogs in residence all
through our marriage, SWMBO and I ought to know. He just doesn't like
strange dogs attacking the small one, or me either, I guess. People we go
him from called him a "stasi" dog. East German bloodlines. Longer and
leaner than the average AKC types, though the AKC recognizes the DVS, which
stands for German sheepdog alliance or similar, if my college German is
correct.

People tend to calm down when he arrives. Sort of like the years when we
had the Borzoi. She was also very large, though well-controlled. The
bigger the dog the better they must behave.