Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Dan

Default Neighborhood dogs leaving waste in my lawn

Surely this is an age old problem. Others must have brilliant suggestions.

someone or some people in my neighborhood are not taking care of their dogs
properly and are allowing them to leave waste in my yard. It's annoying,
and potentially a health issue. I never have seen any particular dog doing
it, so it's not like I can ask a particular neighbor to improve their
behavior. It's generally within leash length of the sidewalk in front
of my house, so I can't tell if it's loose running dogs, or people walking
their dogs without cleaning up after them.

What have you folks done to discourage this sort of thing without
resorting to anything illegal or rude to the innocent non-offending
neighbors?

Robert Morien

In article , Dan
wrote:

Surely this is an age old problem. Others must have brilliant suggestions.

someone or some people in my neighborhood are not taking care of their dogs
properly and are allowing them to leave waste in my yard. It's annoying,
and potentially a health issue.

Health issue? Dogs been pooping in yards for centuries and I doubt that
anyone with an IQ over 10 has had their health affected.

I never have seen any particular dog doing
it, so it's not like I can ask a particular neighbor to improve their
behavior. It's generally within leash length of the sidewalk in front
of my house, so I can't tell if it's loose running dogs, or people walking
their dogs without cleaning up after them.

What have you folks done to discourage this sort of thing without
resorting to anything illegal or rude to the innocent non-offending
neighbors?

google is your friend
Bill

Dogs will not poop where they eat. So each time you have a bone or some
leftover food you are going to throw away, put it where they are pooping.
This has worked the best for me.

"Dan" wrote in message
Surely this is an age old problem. Others must have brilliant
suggestions.

someone or some people in my neighborhood are not taking care of their
dogs
properly and are allowing them to leave waste in my yard. It's annoying,
and potentially a health issue. I never have seen any particular dog
doing
it, so it's not like I can ask a particular neighbor to improve their
behavior. It's generally within leash length of the sidewalk in front
of my house, so I can't tell if it's loose running dogs, or people walking
their dogs without cleaning up after them.

What have you folks done to discourage this sort of thing without
resorting to anything illegal or rude to the innocent non-offending
neighbors?

KLS

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 03:31:01 +0000 (UTC), Dan wrote:

Surely this is an age old problem. Others must have brilliant suggestions.

someone or some people in my neighborhood are not taking care of their dogs
properly and are allowing them to leave waste in my yard. It's annoying,
and potentially a health issue.

Indeed, and I sympathize. The only sure-fire solution is to put up a
fence all around the yard to keep the dogs out.
Al Bundy

Neighbors, like dogs, are creatures of habit. Chances are it's the same
person or persons every time that have decided to frequent your
restroom lawn. Wouldn't it be nice to activate the sprinkler system
just when they came along? Or perhaps a motion sensor with a spotlight
directed to the area might work. Dogs don't mind the light, but the
owners in this case seem to prefer the cover of darkness. I have heard
of other things like sprinkling cayenne pepper around the area, but I
don't know if those things work.

Nexus7

Dan wrote:
someone or some people in my neighborhood are not taking care of their dogs
properly and are allowing them to leave waste in my yard. It's annoying,
and potentially a health issue. I never have seen any particular dog doing
it, so it's not like I can ask a particular neighbor to improve their

Won't make a difference even if you asked, the dog that belongs to the
person you speak to never never leaves a mess. It must be that other
dog!

You could try a few things.
- Leave a plastic bag with some plastic grocery bags inside to
encourage pet owners to pick up
- Motion-activated sprinkler, if it is your back yard or someplace it
can be directed to spray on trespassers only
- Fox scent, dogs supposedly avoid this, I think hunting stores might
have this
- Pepper-based powders for dogs & cats, available at the hardware
stores
- Call the city

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 21:22:54 -0800, in misc.consumers.house Robert Morien
wrote:

Health issue? Dogs been pooping in yards for centuries and I doubt that
anyone with an IQ over 10 has had their health affected.

Does campylobacter jejuni care about the IQ of the person it infects? I think
not.

How do people get infected with this germ?
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/disea...%20this%20germ

Campylobacteriosis usually occurs in single, sporadic cases, but it can also
occur in outbreaks, when a number of people become ill at one time. Most cases
of campylobacteriosis are associated with handling raw poultry or eating raw or
undercooked poultry meat. A very small number of Campylobacter organisms (fewer
than 500) can cause illness in humans. Even one drop of juice from raw chicken
meat can infect a person. One way to become infected is to cut poultry meat on a
cutting board, and then use the unwashed cutting board or utensil to prepare
vegetables or other raw or lightly cooked foods. The Campylobacter organisms
from the raw meat can then spread to the other foods. The organism is not
usually spread from person to person, but this can happen if the infected person
is a small child or is producing a large volume of diarrhea. Larger outbreaks
due to Campylobacter are not usually associated with raw poultry but are usually
related to drinking unpasteurized milk or contaminated water. Animals can also
be infected, and some people have acquired their infection from contact with the
infected stool of an ill dog or cat.
Robert Morien

wrote:

Health issue? Dogs been pooping in yards for centuries and I doubt that
anyone with an IQ over 10 has had their health affected.

Does campylobacter jejuni care about the IQ of the person it infects? I
think
not.

How do people get infected with this germ?
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/disea...ow%20do%20peop
le%20get%20infected%20with%20this%20germ

[...]

even if the dog is ****ting infected chicken parts, most everyone with
an IQ over 10 won't play with feces
Doug Miller

In article , Dan wrote:
Surely this is an age old problem. Others must have brilliant suggestions.

Yes, it is. And, yes, they have. Did you check Google to see what they were?

--
Regards,

Banty

In article , Doug Miller says...

In article , Dan wrote:
Surely this is an age old problem. Others must have brilliant suggestions.

Yes, it is. And, yes, they have. Did you check Google to see what they were?

They were - of widely varying practical appicability, shall we say.

I think this particular thread was actually going in a good direction.

Google isn't always your friend. (Although, it's nearly always amusing.)

Banty

I cant believe all the stupid replies! Just be neighborly. Go and say
high to the dog walkers. Chat it up with them. Just be friendly, get to
know them. You can then easily broach the subject about the issue w/o
seeming like a curmudgeon after a few chats. You may not even need to
broach the subject if you get to know them, they may be more likely to
clean up after the dog once they get to know you.

Or, you can just turn the hose on them as others have suggested!

Dan

Banty wrote:
In article , Doug Miller says...
Yes, it is. And, yes, they have. Did you check Google to see what they were?

They were - of widely varying practical appicability, shall we say.
I think this particular thread was actually going in a good direction.
Google isn't always your friend. (Although, it's nearly always amusing.)

Exactly. And this is a somewhat unusual situation in the google space in
that I do not see who or which dog does it. The majority of the dog owners
appear to be responsible. I do not wish to inconvenience or harm any non
offending dogs or their owners. I can not put up a fence, and most likely
can not leave out a bag dispenser due to covenants. Obviously if I knew
which dog/owner was responsible, I could address it directly.

Aside from the few "smart" responses, there have been some interesting

Banty

In article , Dan says...

Banty wrote:
In article , Doug Miller says...
Yes, it is. And, yes, they have. Did you check Google to see what they were?

They were - of widely varying practical appicability, shall we say.
I think this particular thread was actually going in a good direction.
Google isn't always your friend. (Although, it's nearly always amusing.)

Exactly. And this is a somewhat unusual situation in the google space in
that I do not see who or which dog does it. The majority of the dog owners
appear to be responsible. I do not wish to inconvenience or harm any non
offending dogs or their owners. I can not put up a fence, and most likely
can not leave out a bag dispenser due to covenants. Obviously if I knew
which dog/owner was responsible, I could address it directly.

Yep - different 'space', different audience, different 'atmosophere', different
answers! WHY IMNSHO it's goodness not to just to go Google, but to go ask
again!

It's always best to, when you can, come up with a solution that's not directly
confrontational about it. And always (many Googled up conversations went on and
on because they miss this basic fact of life!) you have to deal within your
realm of control. What can just *you* do to fix this? You won't be able to
rewire the brain synapses of every dog owner out there!

Can you consider a hedge instead of a fence? Or, if the yard is small, planting
some kind of cover that's not as inviting as grass? Works for kids on bikes and
other such occassional hassles, as well.

Banty

Stepped in Dog Poop

"Dan" wrote
Surely this is an age old problem. Others must have brilliant

suggestions.

someone or some people in my neighborhood are not taking care of their

dogs
properly and are allowing them to leave waste in my yard. It's annoying,
and potentially a health issue. I never have seen any particular dog

doing
it, so it's not like I can ask a particular neighbor to improve their
behavior. It's generally within leash length of the sidewalk in front
of my house, so I can't tell if it's loose running dogs, or people walking
their dogs without cleaning up after them.

What have you folks done to discourage this sort of thing without
resorting to anything illegal or rude to the innocent non-offending
neighbors?

Dan,

I can suggest what not to do, unless you want to start a poop flinging war.

I walk at night and during the day, the city block is not lit, but it does
have sidewalks. I know a few of the people on the block casually, by saying
hello, and a little small talk. One night, the inevitable happened, I
slipped in dog poop. No big deal, but I wasn't real happy about it, since I
had on my brand spanking new tennis shoes, and twisted my ankle.

About a week later, I was talking to the homeowner, where I nearly broke my
neck. He was saying how disgusted he was, with people letting their animals
roam free, to set off yard bombs in his yard. He mentioned he scoops the
poop, and throws it on the sidewalk at night, to get back at the
irresponsible parties. As he started talking about scooping the poop, he
started getting wide eyed, and his eyes glazed over. He started this sick
laughing, like a crazy person. He really freaked me out.

Ok, now I'm furious. Here's this guy, I thought was a nice person, and he's
got this sick fetish of throwing poop on the sidewalks. Dealing with the pet
owners is one thing, but taking it out on everyone who uses the sidewalk is
another.

I told a few people about what this guy does. Apparently, I know a few nuts.
One of them started walking the block, taking a garden spade with them, and
a big ole bag of poop. They flung the poop all over this guys windows,porch,
and siding.

A couple nights later, I walked the same block. OMG, this guy had put horse
poop on the sidewalk.

To wind this up, I stay clear of that block now days. I don't know if the
poop war has ceased, or what the heck is going on.

webmz

I'm not sure if this will help or not .
check with your neighbors who do not have dogs and see if their yards
are also
being "gifted" by dogs with irresponsible owners.

Then maybe you could all keep an eye out for dog owners when your home
since hopefully you all might have varying schedules.
It's not a "solution", but if 10 people are watching out for dogs in
the area being allowed to crap on other people's yards, hopefully
someone will notice and then you can track down the dog owner.
[ and then leave a months wortt of his dogs droppiongs on his door
step......just kidding]

chemqueries

Dan wrote:
Surely this is an age old problem. Others must have brilliant suggestions.
someone or some people in my neighborhood are not taking care of their dogs

properly and are allowing them to leave waste in my yard. It's annoying,
and potentially a health issue. I never have seen any particular dog doing
it, so it's not like I can ask a particular neighbor to improve their
behavior. It's generally within leash length of the sidewalk in front
of my house, so I can't tell if it's loose running dogs, or people walking
their dogs without cleaning up after them.
What have you folks done to discourage this sort of thing without
resorting to anything illegal or rude to the innocent non-offending
neighbors?

Hi. I had this problem last year. Fortunately, the family that owned
the dog moved away. If they hadn't moved, I don't think the problem
would have ever been resolved. I confronted the wife several times. She
must have been born in a barn. When I asked her to curb her dog, she
didn't know what that meant. I explained it to her, and she still
didn't understand. She said to me, "Well, then, where is my dog
supposed to go???" I answered, "How about letting your dog defecate
in YOUR yard?" After that incident, she became defiant and spiteful,
and the problem escalated.

As several other posters have suggested, you might want to try pepper
spray and/or putting up a fence.

My town has an ordinance prohibiting dogs from urinating or defecating
on any property other than the dog owner's property, but I never called
the police on these pigs. I figured that if I had called the police,
that would make matters even worse. I'm grateful that the disgusting
family moved away. Oh, by the way, I've encountered problems like this
in all walks of life, including several affluent neighborhoods. I've
learned that money doesn't buy class.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Don

"Robert Morien" wrote
even if the dog is ****ting infected chicken parts, most everyone with
an IQ over 10 won't play with feces

It can be stepped in, perhaps even by children, and then tracked into the
house.
What a mess.
None the less, it is wrong (and in some areas illegal) to allow your dog to
**** in someone else's yard.
Everyone knows this, at least everyone with an IQ over 10.
Like you said, google is your friend.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Don

"Al Bundy" wrote
Neighbors, like dogs, are creatures of habit. Chances are it's the same
person or persons every time that have decided to frequent your
restroom lawn. Wouldn't it be nice to activate the sprinkler system
just when they came along? Or perhaps a motion sensor with a spotlight
directed to the area might work.

There is such a thing available, I saw it in a catalog.
Its a sprinkler on a spike with a motion sensor.
Just googled it, Amazon has one for $55.
Might be worth not getting arrested for punching the dog owner in the face.
http://tinyurl.com/b2r89

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Don

"Dan" wrote
Obviously if I knew which dog/owner was responsible, I could address it
directly.

Install a sign the location - *Keep your dogs off my lawn*.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Don

wrote in message
oups.com...
I cant believe all the stupid replies! Just be neighborly. Go and say
high to the dog walkers. Chat it up with them. Just be friendly, get to
know them.

Good one.
If the dog owner percieves the home owner as a friend he might start to feel
guilty about letting his dog **** in his yard, and stop doing it.

You can then easily broach the subject about the issue w/o
seeming like a curmudgeon after a few chats. You may not even need to
broach the subject if you get to know them, they may be more likely to
clean up after the dog once they get to know you.

Or, you can just turn the hose on them as others have suggested!

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Don

"Stepped in Dog Poop" wrote
[...]

LOL, where is this place? Crazy people.....