Thomas Bunetta

Default SWAG requested (by math impaired person:)

Hi guys,
I'm going to be moving to Tennessee this summer, and that means moving my
shop and my "stash" of lumber.

I need an estimate of the weight of the lumber to determine if my trailer
will carry it.

The bulk of the wood is cherry, with a fair amount of walnut and a lesser
amount of aromatic cedar.
The gross dimensions of the pile are 7' wide by 12' long by 4'10" high.
About 1/4 of the width of the pile is 8'3" cherry, the rest are about 12'
long and consist of the above woods (the cedar will amount to 1.5 feet wide
by 12' long and 4' high.

I understand that only a SWAG is possible with the information given, but
the collective knowledge of this group has never let me down before.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Juergen Hannappel

"Thomas Bunetta" writes:

Hi guys,
I'm going to be moving to Tennessee this summer, and that means moving my
shop and my "stash" of lumber.

I need an estimate of the weight of the lumber to determine if my trailer
will carry it.

The bulk of the wood is cherry, with a fair amount of walnut and a lesser
amount of aromatic cedar.
The gross dimensions of the pile are 7' wide by 12' long by 4'10" high.

That would be 11.5 m^3

With a *light* wood this is 6 tons, cherry is even heavier...

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23
Thomas Bunetta

"Juergen Hannappel" wrote in message
"Thomas Bunetta" writes:

Hi guys,
I'm going to be moving to Tennessee this summer, and that means moving my
shop and my "stash" of lumber.

I need an estimate of the weight of the lumber to determine if my trailer
will carry it.

The bulk of the wood is cherry, with a fair amount of walnut and a lesser
amount of aromatic cedar.
The gross dimensions of the pile are 7' wide by 12' long by 4'10" high.

That would be 11.5 m^3

With a *light* wood this is 6 tons, cherry is even heavier...

snipped
Wow...
I guess my trailer doesn't have a chance!
Thanks for your reply.
Tom

Duke of Burl

You have about 420 cubic feet of wood. Cherry weighs about 35lbs per
cu.ft, walnut 38lbs and cedar 24lbs. We'll use cherry for the
average:

35 x 420 =14,700 lbs.

Hope it's a big trailer...

RonB

You have about 420 cubic feet of wood. Cherry weighs about 35lbs per
cu.ft, walnut 38lbs and cedar 24lbs. We'll use cherry for the
average:

35 x 420 =14,700 lbs.

Hope it's a big trailer...

However, do the dimensions you provide include a solid mass of wood or is it
separated with lathes? If so, the number calculated above would reduce
significantly - but still a lot of weight.

What you didn't tell us is how far are you moving. If long distance, this
might be more of a rental truck problem.

Ron

Thomas Bunetta

"Duke of Burl" wrote in message
ups.com...
You have about 420 cubic feet of wood. Cherry weighs about 35lbs per
cu.ft, walnut 38lbs and cedar 24lbs. We'll use cherry for the
average:

35 x 420 =14,700 lbs.

Hope it's a big trailer...

Hi guys,
Thanks for the input...
No stickers, just a plank to plank pile.
And based on the answers so far, I guess I'll sell some wood.
I'm in Englewood, FL. and got a deal on the wood.
Anyone wanting to make the journey can buy some for $3.00 a BF. There are a
few with ring shake and they'll be culled. The rest are in varying widths
from 4" to 12+" all about 5/4 and between 8' and 12' (8's are all cherry).
No pick and choose (if a piece is a stinker, it won't count), selling from
the top down.
It doesn't make sense to make a trip with nothing but the lumber... still
have the shop and house contents to contend with!
Tom

Duke of Burl

Don't forget - you're moving to TN. Lots of cherry, cedar and walnut
to be found. By the time you figure what you paid for it, gas, etc.,
you might be losing money trying to move it.

Thomas Bunetta

Yup,
That's why the offer to sell it.
{I have stored this stuff indoors for 7-8 years now, and am loathe to part
with it, but you're dead right... more costly to move than replace! (this is
some of the same stuff I sent to the "Duke of URLS" as a gag some years ago)
Tom
"Duke of Burl" wrote in message
ups.com...
Don't forget - you're moving to TN. Lots of cherry, cedar and walnut
to be found. By the time you figure what you paid for it, gas, etc.,
you might be losing money trying to move it.

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 08:08:24 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Thomas Bunetta" quickly quoth:

Hi guys,
I'm going to be moving to Tennessee this summer, and that means moving my
shop and my "stash" of lumber.

I need an estimate of the weight of the lumber to determine if my trailer
will carry it.

The answer is a resounding NO, Tom. Not in one or two trips.
See if you can find a locally owned truck firm who needs LTL filler
loads to that area or ask your moving firm for a big break in cost.

The bulk of the wood is cherry, with a fair amount of walnut and a lesser
amount of aromatic cedar.
The gross dimensions of the pile are 7' wide by 12' long by 4'10" high.
About 1/4 of the width of the pile is 8'3" cherry, the rest are about 12'
long and consist of the above woods (the cedar will amount to 1.5 feet wide
by 12' long and 4' high.

I understand that only a SWAG is possible with the information given, but
the collective knowledge of this group has never let me down before.

You have roughly 280 cubic feet of cherry/walnut and 72 c/f of cedar
lumber. The cherry weighs 12,768 lbs and the cedar 2,768.4 lbs
according to this calc: http://www.csgnetwork.com/lumberweight.html
using black cherry and red cedar weights.

It appears that the walnut is 4.8 lbs/ft, cherry 3.8, and cedar 3.1.
Wood is DAMNED heavy.

G'luck!

-----
= The wealth of reality, cannot be seen from your locality. =
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

Thomas Bunetta

snip
The answer is a resounding NO, Tom. Not in one or two trips.
See if you can find a locally owned truck firm who needs LTL filler
loads to that area or ask your moving firm for a big break in cost.

snip
You have roughly 280 cubic feet of cherry/walnut and 72 c/f of cedar
lumber. The cherry weighs 12,768 lbs and the cedar 2,768.4 lbs
according to this calc: http://www.csgnetwork.com/lumberweight.html
using black cherry and red cedar weights.

It appears that the walnut is 4.8 lbs/ft, cherry 3.8, and cedar 3.1.
Wood is DAMNED heavy.

G'luck!

Thanks Larry... after moving it from it's present location I knew it was
gonna be heavy, I was surprised at the weights posted here, though.
What does LTL stand for?
Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
larry

LTL means less than load meanibg the truck is not filled full and can cary
something else to use what would be wasted space. Larry
"Thomas Bunetta" wrote in message
snip
The answer is a resounding NO, Tom. Not in one or two trips.
See if you can find a locally owned truck firm who needs LTL filler
loads to that area or ask your moving firm for a big break in cost.

snip
You have roughly 280 cubic feet of cherry/walnut and 72 c/f of cedar
lumber. The cherry weighs 12,768 lbs and the cedar 2,768.4 lbs
according to this calc: http://www.csgnetwork.com/lumberweight.html
using black cherry and red cedar weights.

It appears that the walnut is 4.8 lbs/ft, cherry 3.8, and cedar 3.1.
Wood is DAMNED heavy.

G'luck!

Thanks Larry... after moving it from it's present location I knew it was
gonna be heavy, I was surprised at the weights posted here, though.
What does LTL stand for?
Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 05:24:17 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Thomas Bunetta" quickly quoth:

Thanks Larry... after moving it from it's present location I knew it was
gonna be heavy, I was surprised at the weights posted here, though.
What does LTL stand for?

Less Than (a full truck) Load.

I hauled a ton of Jarrah up here to OR when I moved. If you think
cherry is heavy, try to lift a chunk of jarrah some time. It's about
twice as dense.

-----
= The wealth of reality, cannot be seen from your locality. =
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Posted to rec.woodworking

Where in TN, may I ask?

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking
Thomas Bunetta

wrote in message
oups.com...
Where in TN, may I ask?

Bill

Henderson, in Chester county. SW Tennessee... next summer.
Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 05:24:17 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Thomas Bunetta" quickly quoth:

Thanks Larry... after moving it from it's present location I knew it was
gonna be heavy, I was surprised at the weights posted here, though.
What does LTL stand for?

Less Than (a full truck) Load.

soapbox mode="department of nit-pickers department"

It started out as "Less than Trailer Load".

contemporary acronym expansions include:
Less than Total Load
Less than Truck Load
Less than Truckload Lot

Regardless, the acronym describes a shipment that is not large enough to
require a dedicated truck for shipment. i.e. something that can be combined
with other "LTL" shipments, in filling up a _single_ truck going to that
destination.

/soapbox

Trivia: for shipment by rail, the common term is "LCL" -- Less than Car
Load. It similarly describes shipments that do not require a dedicated
railroad car.