Larry Jaques

Default SWAG requested (by math impaired person:)

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 08:08:24 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Thomas Bunetta" quickly quoth:

Hi guys,
I'm going to be moving to Tennessee this summer, and that means moving my
shop and my "stash" of lumber.

I need an estimate of the weight of the lumber to determine if my trailer
will carry it.

The answer is a resounding NO, Tom. Not in one or two trips.
See if you can find a locally owned truck firm who needs LTL filler
loads to that area or ask your moving firm for a big break in cost.

The bulk of the wood is cherry, with a fair amount of walnut and a lesser
amount of aromatic cedar.
The gross dimensions of the pile are 7' wide by 12' long by 4'10" high.
About 1/4 of the width of the pile is 8'3" cherry, the rest are about 12'
long and consist of the above woods (the cedar will amount to 1.5 feet wide
by 12' long and 4' high.

I understand that only a SWAG is possible with the information given, but
the collective knowledge of this group has never let me down before.

You have roughly 280 cubic feet of cherry/walnut and 72 c/f of cedar
lumber. The cherry weighs 12,768 lbs and the cedar 2,768.4 lbs
according to this calc: http://www.csgnetwork.com/lumberweight.html
using black cherry and red cedar weights.

It appears that the walnut is 4.8 lbs/ft, cherry 3.8, and cedar 3.1.
Wood is DAMNED heavy.

G'luck!

-----
= The wealth of reality, cannot be seen from your locality. =
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development