DonkeyHody

Default What to Ask for Christmas?

SWMBO's side of the family is very practical. Instead of guessing
about Christmas gifts, everybody makes up a Christmas wish list and
then they circulate them. I'll get several items in the $30 - $50
range. I've been woodworking long enough that I already have all the
basics that can be bought for that kind of money. And I've developed a
taste for the "best" instead of the "good enough".

Now the question. What is your favorite tool that's less than $50?
Mine is probably my Incra Rule. I use it almost every time I walk in
the shop. Ideas anyone?

DonkeyHody
"Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."

B a r r y

DonkeyHody wrote:

What is your favorite tool that's less than $50?

A gift certificate for Lee Valley.

Barry
Stephen M

Put together a wish list at LV and make it public.

The veritas sliding bevel make be happy last christmas.

-Steve

"B a r r y" wrote in message
DonkeyHody wrote:

What is your favorite tool that's less than $50?

A gift certificate for Lee Valley.

Barry

Robert Galloway

A gift I thought was cute but unnecessary but now use all the time is my
dial caliper graduated in fractions of an inch. I've used a vernier
caliper in thousandths for about forty years and thought the other more
of a gimmick. Couldn't part with it now.

rhg

"B a r r y" wrote in message

DonkeyHody wrote:

What is your favorite tool that's less than $50?

A gift certificate for Lee Valley.

Barry

B a r r y

Robert Galloway wrote:
A gift I thought was cute but unnecessary but now use all the time is my
dial caliper graduated in fractions of an inch. I've used a vernier
caliper in thousandths for about forty years and thought the other more
of a gimmick. Couldn't part with it now.

I also have one of those and totally agree.

Barry

jo4hn

DonkeyHody wrote:
SWMBO's side of the family is very practical. Instead of guessing
about Christmas gifts, everybody makes up a Christmas wish list and
then they circulate them. I'll get several items in the $30 - $50
range. I've been woodworking long enough that I already have all the
basics that can be bought for that kind of money. And I've developed a
taste for the "best" instead of the "good enough".

Now the question. What is your favorite tool that's less than $50?
Mine is probably my Incra Rule. I use it almost every time I walk in
the shop. Ideas anyone?

DonkeyHody
"Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."

I'm registered at Harbor Fright.
:-)
jo4hn

B a r r y

Keith wrote:
I have been thinking about getting one with fractions instead of decimal. What
brand do you have?

I don't know what brand it is, but it came from Lee Valley. I think it
was about $30.
Andy

The Mk.II honing guide is at the top of my LV wishlist, which I will
soon be distributing to both sides of the family.
Other things I'm asking for include more clamps (of course), a few
books, drum sander, maybe router bits, etc. I'm kind of thinking about
the Infinitytools rabbet combo router bit kit, with 1" cutting height.
As far as favorite tools I currently own, I also really like my dial
caliper (Mitutoyo), but it'd save time if it were in fraction instead
of decimal - as it is, I keep a conversion chart handy. Another useful
gadget (for woodworking and everything else) is a dremmel-type rotary
tool with a bunch of accessories. One final thing I'm always happy
about is a really nice, comfortable pair of safety glasses that aren't
all scratched up - but SWMBO gets those (even the nice ones) free from
work.
One of my favorite gifts that's totally unrelated to woodworking is a
Gore-tex rain hat (OR Seattle Sombrero) - if you spend much time
outside where it rains, it's wonderful. You can hear and see, unlike a
raincoat hood, you don't have to carry an umbrella, and your neck still
stays dry. Spiffy.
Merry Christmas,
Andy

David

jo4hn wrote:

DonkeyHody wrote:

SWMBO's side of the family is very practical. Instead of guessing
about Christmas gifts, everybody makes up a Christmas wish list and
then they circulate them. I'll get several items in the $30 - $50
range. I've been woodworking long enough that I already have all the
basics that can be bought for that kind of money. And I've developed a
taste for the "best" instead of the "good enough".

Now the question. What is your favorite tool that's less than $50?
Mine is probably my Incra Rule. I use it almost every time I walk in
the shop. Ideas anyone?

DonkeyHody
"Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."

I'm registered at Harbor Fright.
:-)
jo4hn

Is that sort of like registering at Walmart?

dave

David

DonkeyHody wrote:

SWMBO's side of the family is very practical. Instead of guessing
about Christmas gifts, everybody makes up a Christmas wish list and
then they circulate them. I'll get several items in the $30 - $50
range. I've been woodworking long enough that I already have all the
basics that can be bought for that kind of money. And I've developed a
taste for the "best" instead of the "good enough".

Now the question. What is your favorite tool that's less than $50?
Mine is probably my Incra Rule. I use it almost every time I walk in
the shop. Ideas anyone?

DonkeyHody
"Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."

I agree with another poster. The MKII honing guide from Lee Valley.

Dave
Tom Dacon

"Keith" wrote in message
I have been thinking about getting one with fractions instead of decimal.
What
brand do you have?

Look for one with the fractions on the outer ring instead of the inner ring.
I think mine came from Highland Hardware.

Tom Dacon

DonkeyHody

Thanks for the great suggestions. I have the dial caliper and the
honing guide. They are both nice tools.

One other item I got recently that I really like is the opti-muff. It
combines ear muffs and safety glasses. Sounds like a gimmick, but you
know how the regular muffs press the eyeglass temples into your, well
temples? These are comfortable for hours. And they go on and off
together, so I don't have to search for 2 items of safety equipment.

DonkeyHody
"If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?"

Robatoy

In article ,
Robert Galloway wrote:

A gift I thought was cute but unnecessary but now use all the time is my
dial caliper graduated in fractions of an inch. I've used a vernier
caliper in thousandths for about forty years and thought the other more
of a gimmick. Couldn't part with it now.

You said a mouthful. I'd be lost without my trusty vernier calipers. (The dial
ones are for sissies..lol)

Robatoy

In article .com,
"DonkeyHody" wrote:

opti-muff

Why is that so funny?
George

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article .com,
"DonkeyHody" wrote:

opti-muff

Why is that so funny?

Don't all of you just wait, dive in....

Edwin Pawlowski

"Robatoy" wrote in message news:design-

I'd be lost without my trusty vernier calipers. (The dial
ones are for sissies..lol)

If the dial makes you a sissy, what does the digital readout make you? A
guy on my street owns one of them.

Stephen M

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article .com,
"DonkeyHody" wrote:

opti-muff

Why is that so funny?

That's probably rhetorical but I'll answer anway.

Did you ever see the move "The Jerk"? Steve Martin plays the lead character.
The opening line is:

"I was born a poor black child". His fortune was made (and lost) on an
invention call the "opti-grab", a holding point soldered to the bridge of
one's glasses.

Then again, any sideways reference that sounds female anatomy makes us boys
giggle.

Cheers,

Steve

Jay Pique

George wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article .com,
"DonkeyHody" wrote:

opti-muff

Why is that so funny?

Don't all of you just wait, dive in....

.....with eyes wide open.

A buddy of mine was doing a bit of diving once and put his Timex to
good use. Just slightly north of the intended target was a small
marking of some sort, but he wasn't able to make out what it was given
the low light conditions. Thinking quickly, he pressed his trusty
Indiglo button and was able to make out the following message....
"Lucky You"

JP

Larry Jaques

On 8 Nov 2005 04:41:56 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Jay
Pique" quickly quoth:

George wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article .com,
"DonkeyHody" wrote:

opti-muff

Why is that so funny?

Don't all of you just wait, dive in....

....with eyes wide open.

A buddy of mine was doing a bit of diving once and put his Timex to
good use. Just slightly north of the intended target was a small
marking of some sort, but he wasn't able to make out what it was given
the low light conditions. Thinking quickly, he pressed his trusty
Indiglo button and was able to make out the following message....
"Lucky You"

Now _that's_ a mouthful.

Poverty is easy. * http://diversify.com
It's Charity and Chastity that are hard. * Data-based Website Design
mac davis

On 7 Nov 2005 09:42:32 -0800, "DonkeyHody" wrote:

SWMBO's side of the family is very practical. Instead of guessing
about Christmas gifts, everybody makes up a Christmas wish list and
then they circulate them. I'll get several items in the $30 - $50
range. I've been woodworking long enough that I already have all the
basics that can be bought for that kind of money. And I've developed a
taste for the "best" instead of the "good enough".

Now the question. What is your favorite tool that's less than $50?
Mine is probably my Incra Rule. I use it almost every time I walk in
the shop. Ideas anyone?

DonkeyHody
"Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."

they have tools for less than $50?
damn...

Not really a tool, but I always enjoy additions to my woodworking/turning
collection of DVD's.. handy to have in the shop for
instruction/motivation/inspiration..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Cyrille de Brébisson

hello,

how about asking for Harbor Freight gift certificates?

cyrille

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On 8 Nov 2005 04:41:56 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Jay
Pique" quickly quoth:

George wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article .com,
"DonkeyHody" wrote:

opti-muff

Why is that so funny?

Don't all of you just wait, dive in....

....with eyes wide open.

A buddy of mine was doing a bit of diving once and put his Timex to
good use. Just slightly north of the intended target was a small
marking of some sort, but he wasn't able to make out what it was given
the low light conditions. Thinking quickly, he pressed his trusty
Indiglo button and was able to make out the following message....
"Lucky You"

Now _that's_ a mouthful.

Poverty is easy. * http://diversify.com
It's Charity and Chastity that are hard. * Data-based Website Design

W Canaday

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 15:49:04 -0500, Lee Michaels wrote:

Besides, it is an incredible alternative to the crap that everybody else
gives me!

Lee
Curmudgeon at large

Just tell them what you just told us and I'm pretty certain you won't have
this problem next year.

Bill
W Canaday

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 11:33:06 +0000, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message news:design-

I'd be lost without my trusty vernier calipers. (The dial
ones are for sissies..lol)

If the dial makes you a sissy, what does the digital readout make you? A
guy on my street owns one of them.

I own all three. 0-6 digtal. 0-12 dial. 0-24 vernier. The vernier make you
think just a moment longer ... and that's not such a bad thing.

Bill
Enoch Root

David wrote:
DonkeyHody wrote:
Now the question. What is your favorite tool that's less than $50?

I agree with another poster. The MKII honing guide from Lee Valley.

Yabbet, wait... why is that nice? After your blades are sharp, spiffing
up the edge takes all of 20 seconds or so... and no fussing with
contraptions.

er