DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What to Ask for Christmas? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/128291-what-ask-christmas.html)

DonkeyHody November 7th 05 05:42 PM

What to Ask for Christmas?

SWMBO's side of the family is very practical. Instead of guessing
about Christmas gifts, everybody makes up a Christmas wish list and
then they circulate them. I'll get several items in the $30 - $50
range. I've been woodworking long enough that I already have all the
basics that can be bought for that kind of money. And I've developed a
taste for the "best" instead of the "good enough".

Now the question. What is your favorite tool that's less than $50?
Mine is probably my Incra Rule. I use it almost every time I walk in
the shop. Ideas anyone?

DonkeyHody
"Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."

B a r r y November 7th 05 05:54 PM

What to Ask for Christmas?

DonkeyHody wrote:

What is your favorite tool that's less than $50?

A gift certificate for Lee Valley.

Barry

Stephen M November 7th 05 06:14 PM

What to Ask for Christmas?

Put together a wish list at LV and make it public.

The veritas sliding bevel make be happy last christmas.

-Steve

Robert Galloway November 7th 05 06:53 PM

What to Ask for Christmas?

A gift I thought was cute but unnecessary but now use all the time is my
dial caliper graduated in fractions of an inch. I've used a vernier
caliper in thousandths for about forty years and thought the other more
of a gimmick. Couldn't part with it now.

rhg

B a r r y November 7th 05 07:46 PM

What to Ask for Christmas?

Robert Galloway wrote:
A gift I thought was cute but unnecessary but now use all the time is my
dial caliper graduated in fractions of an inch. I've used a vernier
caliper in thousandths for about forty years and thought the other more
of a gimmick. Couldn't part with it now.

I also have one of those and totally agree.

Barry

jo4hn November 7th 05 07:57 PM

What to Ask for Christmas?

DonkeyHody wrote:
SWMBO's side of the family is very practical. Instead of guessing
about Christmas gifts, everybody makes up a Christmas wish list and
then they circulate them. I'll get several items in the $30 - $50
range. I've been woodworking long enough that I already have all the
basics that can be bought for that kind of money. And I've developed a
taste for the "best" instead of the "good enough".

Now the question. What is your favorite tool that's less than $50?
Mine is probably my Incra Rule. I use it almost every time I walk in
the shop. Ideas anyone?

DonkeyHody
"Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."

I'm registered at Harbor Fright.
:-)
jo4hn

B a r r y November 7th 05 08:17 PM

What to Ask for Christmas?

Keith wrote:
I have been thinking about getting one with fractions instead of decimal. What
brand do you have?

I don't know what brand it is, but it came from Lee Valley. I think it
was about $30.

Andy November 7th 05 09:24 PM

What to Ask for Christmas?

The Mk.II honing guide is at the top of my LV wishlist, which I will
soon be distributing to both sides of the family.
Other things I'm asking for include more clamps (of course), a few
books, drum sander, maybe router bits, etc. I'm kind of thinking about
the Infinitytools rabbet combo router bit kit, with 1" cutting height.
As far as favorite tools I currently own, I also really like my dial
caliper (Mitutoyo), but it'd save time if it were in fraction instead
of decimal - as it is, I keep a conversion chart handy. Another useful
gadget (for woodworking and everything else) is a dremmel-type rotary
tool with a bunch of accessories. One final thing I'm always happy
about is a really nice, comfortable pair of safety glasses that aren't
all scratched up - but SWMBO gets those (even the nice ones) free from
work.
One of my favorite gifts that's totally unrelated to woodworking is a
Gore-tex rain hat (OR Seattle Sombrero) - if you spend much time
outside where it rains, it's wonderful. You can hear and see, unlike a
raincoat hood, you don't have to carry an umbrella, and your neck still
stays dry. Spiffy.
Merry Christmas,
Andy

David November 7th 05 09:29 PM

What to Ask for Christmas?

jo4hn wrote:

DonkeyHody wrote:

SWMBO's side of the family is very practical. Instead of guessing
about Christmas gifts, everybody makes up a Christmas wish list and
then they circulate them. I'll get several items in the $30 - $50
range. I've been woodworking long enough that I already have all the
basics that can be bought for that kind of money. And I've developed a
taste for the "best" instead of the "good enough".

Now the question. What is your favorite tool that's less than $50?
Mine is probably my Incra Rule. I use it almost every time I walk in
the shop. Ideas anyone?

DonkeyHody
"Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."

I'm registered at Harbor Fright.
:-)
jo4hn

Is that sort of like registering at Walmart? :)

dave

David November 7th 05 09:30 PM

What to Ask for Christmas?

DonkeyHody wrote:

SWMBO's side of the family is very practical. Instead of guessing
about Christmas gifts, everybody makes up a Christmas wish list and
then they circulate them. I'll get several items in the $30 - $50
range. I've been woodworking long enough that I already have all the
basics that can be bought for that kind of money. And I've developed a
taste for the "best" instead of the "good enough".

Now the question. What is your favorite tool that's less than $50?
Mine is probably my Incra Rule. I use it almost every time I walk in
the shop. Ideas anyone?

DonkeyHody
"Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."

I agree with another poster. The MKII honing guide from Lee Valley.

Dave

Tom Dacon November 7th 05 09:47 PM

What to Ask for Christmas?

"Keith" wrote in message
I have been thinking about getting one with fractions instead of decimal.
What
brand do you have?

Look for one with the fractions on the outer ring instead of the inner ring.
I think mine came from Highland Hardware.

Tom Dacon

DonkeyHody November 7th 05 11:46 PM

What to Ask for Christmas?

Thanks for the great suggestions. I have the dial caliper and the
honing guide. They are both nice tools.

One other item I got recently that I really like is the opti-muff. It
combines ear muffs and safety glasses. Sounds like a gimmick, but you
know how the regular muffs press the eyeglass temples into your, well
temples? These are comfortable for hours. And they go on and off
together, so I don't have to search for 2 items of safety equipment.

DonkeyHody
"If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?"

Robatoy November 8th 05 09:32 AM

What to Ask for Christmas?

In article ,
Robert Galloway wrote:

A gift I thought was cute but unnecessary but now use all the time is my
dial caliper graduated in fractions of an inch. I've used a vernier
caliper in thousandths for about forty years and thought the other more
of a gimmick. Couldn't part with it now.

You said a mouthful. I'd be lost without my trusty vernier calipers. (The dial
ones are for sissies..lol)

Robatoy November 8th 05 09:34 AM

What to Ask for Christmas?

In article .com,
"DonkeyHody" wrote:

opti-muff

Why is that so funny?

George November 8th 05 11:22 AM

What to Ask for Christmas?

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article .com,
"DonkeyHody" wrote:

opti-muff

Why is that so funny?

Don't all of you just wait, dive in....

Edwin Pawlowski November 8th 05 11:33 AM

What to Ask for Christmas?

"Robatoy" wrote in message news:design-

I'd be lost without my trusty vernier calipers. (The dial
ones are for sissies..lol)

If the dial makes you a sissy, what does the digital readout make you? A
guy on my street owns one of them.

Stephen M November 8th 05 12:14 PM

What to Ask for Christmas?

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article .com,
"DonkeyHody" wrote:

opti-muff

Why is that so funny?

That's probably rhetorical but I'll answer anway.

Did you ever see the move "The Jerk"? Steve Martin plays the lead character.
The opening line is:

"I was born a poor black child". His fortune was made (and lost) on an
invention call the "opti-grab", a holding point soldered to the bridge of
one's glasses.

Then again, any sideways reference that sounds female anatomy makes us boys
giggle.

Cheers,

Steve

Jay Pique November 8th 05 12:41 PM

What to Ask for Christmas?

George wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article .com,
"DonkeyHody" wrote:

opti-muff

Why is that so funny?

Don't all of you just wait, dive in....

.....with eyes wide open.

A buddy of mine was doing a bit of diving once and put his Timex to
good use. Just slightly north of the intended target was a small
marking of some sort, but he wasn't able to make out what it was given
the low light conditions. Thinking quickly, he pressed his trusty
Indiglo button and was able to make out the following message....
"Lucky You"

JP

Larry Jaques November 8th 05 03:53 PM

What to Ask for Christmas?

On 8 Nov 2005 04:41:56 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Jay
Pique" quickly quoth:

George wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article .com,
"DonkeyHody" wrote:

opti-muff

Why is that so funny?

Don't all of you just wait, dive in....

....with eyes wide open.

A buddy of mine was doing a bit of diving once and put his Timex to
good use. Just slightly north of the intended target was a small
marking of some sort, but he wasn't able to make out what it was given
the low light conditions. Thinking quickly, he pressed his trusty
Indiglo button and was able to make out the following message....
"Lucky You"

Now _that's_ a mouthful.

Poverty is easy. * http://diversify.com
It's Charity and Chastity that are hard. * Data-based Website Design

mac davis November 8th 05 05:04 PM

What to Ask for Christmas?

On 7 Nov 2005 09:42:32 -0800, "DonkeyHody" wrote:

SWMBO's side of the family is very practical. Instead of guessing
about Christmas gifts, everybody makes up a Christmas wish list and
then they circulate them. I'll get several items in the $30 - $50
range. I've been woodworking long enough that I already have all the
basics that can be bought for that kind of money. And I've developed a
taste for the "best" instead of the "good enough".

Now the question. What is your favorite tool that's less than $50?
Mine is probably my Incra Rule. I use it almost every time I walk in
the shop. Ideas anyone?

DonkeyHody
"Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."

they have tools for less than $50?
damn...

Not really a tool, but I always enjoy additions to my woodworking/turning
collection of DVD's.. handy to have in the shop for
instruction/motivation/inspiration..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

J T November 8th 05 07:46 PM

What to Ask for Christmas?

Mon, Nov 7, 2005, 9:42am (EST-3) (DonkeyHody)
mumbled:
snip Ideas anyone?

Yes indeed:
Boxers WITHOUT bloody damn snips.
Pants that don't come up to my armpits.
The type of aftershave I actually use.
Books I will actually read.
T-shirts and socks that actually fit.
Videos I will watch more than once.
The list goes on, but, just GIVE ME MONEY, so I can buy things I
actually want, and will actually use.
Merry @#$%ing Christmas.

JOAT
If it ain't broke, don't lend it.
- Red Green

Lee Michaels November 8th 05 08:49 PM

What to Ask for Christmas?

"J T" wrote in message
Mon, Nov 7, 2005, 9:42am (EST-3) (DonkeyHody)
mumbled:
snip Ideas anyone?

Yes indeed:
Boxers WITHOUT bloody damn snips.
Pants that don't come up to my armpits.
The type of aftershave I actually use.
Books I will actually read.
T-shirts and socks that actually fit.
Videos I will watch more than once.
The list goes on, but, just GIVE ME MONEY, so I can buy things I
actually want, and will actually use.
Merry @#$%ing Christmas.

Yep, I do something that some folks think is downright shameful on
christmas. The best present under the tree is From Lee, To Lee.

It is ALWAYS what I want, it always fits, it never has to be returned and I
don't have to write any damn thank you notes!

And for those bleating traditionalists who think I am doing something wrong,
I always tell them the same thing. There is some kinda psycobabble out
there about how we are supposed to love ourselves more. This is an active
act of loving myself. I did this because I am worth it. And I truly
appreciate it.

Besides, it is an incredible alternative to the crap that everybody else
gives me!

Lee
Curmudgeon at large

J T November 8th 05 09:54 PM

What to Ask for Christmas?

Tue, Nov 8, 2005, 3:49pm (Lee*Michaels) knows
the real Santa:
snip Besides, it is an incredible alternative to the crap that
everybody else gives me!

The Woodworking Gods bless you, for giving, and making a human bean
happy.
Now, cough up a sacrifice for them.

JOAT
If it ain't broke, don't lend it.
- Red Green

Cyrille de Brébisson November 8th 05 10:02 PM

What to Ask for Christmas?

hello,

how about asking for Harbor Freight gift certificates?

cyrille

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On 8 Nov 2005 04:41:56 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "Jay
Pique" quickly quoth:

George wrote:

W Canaday November 8th 05 10:54 PM

What to Ask for Christmas?

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 15:49:04 -0500, Lee Michaels wrote:

Besides, it is an incredible alternative to the crap that everybody else
gives me!

Lee
Curmudgeon at large

Just tell them what you just told us and I'm pretty certain you won't have
this problem next year.

Bill

W Canaday November 8th 05 11:00 PM

What to Ask for Christmas?

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 11:33:06 +0000, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message news:design-

I'd be lost without my trusty vernier calipers. (The dial
ones are for sissies..lol)

If the dial makes you a sissy, what does the digital readout make you? A
guy on my street owns one of them.

I own all three. 0-6 digtal. 0-12 dial. 0-24 vernier. The vernier make you
think just a moment longer ... and that's not such a bad thing.

Bill

Larry Jaques November 9th 05 12:48 AM

What to Ask for Christmas?

Mon, Nov 7, 2005, 9:42am (EST-3) (DonkeyHody)
mumbled:
snip Ideas anyone?

Yes indeed:
Boxers WITHOUT bloody damn snips.
Pants that don't come up to my armpits.
The type of aftershave I actually use.
Books I will actually read.
T-shirts and socks that actually fit.
Videos I will watch more than once.

Yeah, no more clothes! I don't wear many long sleeve shirts but
always get them as xmas gifts.

The list goes on, but, just GIVE ME MONEY, so I can buy things I
actually want, and will actually use.
Merry @#$%ing Christmas.

Right on! My sentiments exactly. I'll give 'em a list of things I
want. _Please_ don't get anything else for me, especially 99 cent
Chiwanese tools.

That said, Mom loved her pierced jewelry for her 80th birthday.
It was a Yin/Yang belly button bar and she chickened out and put
it on a silver chain. ;)

CAUTION: Do not use remaining fingers as pushsticks!
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

Enoch Root November 10th 05 03:25 PM

What to Ask for Christmas?

David wrote:
DonkeyHody wrote:
Now the question. What is your favorite tool that's less than $50?

I agree with another poster. The MKII honing guide from Lee Valley.

Yabbet, wait... why is that nice? After your blades are sharp, spiffing
up the edge takes all of 20 seconds or so... and no fussing with
contraptions.

er

J T November 11th 05 12:16 AM

What to Ask for Christmas?

Tue, Nov 8, 2005, 9:04am (EST-3)
(mac*davis) blushingly admits:
snip collection of DVD's.. handy to have in the shop for
instruction/motivation/inspiration..

Gotta watch movies first, eh?

JOAT
If it ain't broke, don't lend it.