Default Help with screw eyes

I am building a very large fishing lure with Western Red Cedar. Because
of its weight, I am worried that the front screw eyes I typically use
will pull out. In fact, some tests I ran showed that the screw would
come out. I could use a more dense wood like maple but I very much
enjoy using WRC and besides that it's a wonderful wood for making
lures.

I tried flattening out the head end of a 3" wood screw and then
drilling it out on the end for a line tie but it wouldn't quite work.
Is there such a thing as a large wood screw with a hole on the end of
it allowing something to be tied to it? I would like something about
3" long.

Any ideas or suggestions much appreciated!

thank you

II

DanG

I had a friend who used to make lures. He always buried stainless
steel wire through the line ties and hook ties. He told me that
those Steelhead would rip 'em right out otherwise. I realize you
are not casting your lures, but perhaps you can drill all the way
through the lure and install with wire rope/stainless wire, etc.

Drill through and twist a coil on the far side of the lure?

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

How about cutting out a plug and glueing in a hardwood filler?

Andy

Maybe a drilled-out thumbscrew? Just get something that looks like
http://www.gototem.com/Webgifs/ClipA...ThumbScrew.GIF
available from your local hardware store, borg, etc., and drill out the
thumb part. Basically turn it in to a big screw eye (de-burr the
inside edges if necessary). If you can't find one with wide enough
threads, use the epoxy method mentioned above to secure the thumbscrew
in the lure.
Can I ask why you're making a 16" fishing lure? Going for Champ or
Nessie? (I know it must be for display somewhere, but it sounds like a
fun project to do something at 10X the normal scale...)
Andy

Some more great ideas. I thought about the wood plug idea and that may
work although I was hoping for something with more certainty if that
makes sense. I am guessing tho that the wood plug would work if I used
a good hardwood to screw into. I like the thumbscrew idea and will look
into that. I really like the suspended ceiling screw idea! I hope I
can find some of them at Home Depot.

Oh, I am building the lure not as a novelty but as something that will
be used...therefore the need for strength! Thank you again.

II

Brad Bruce wrote:
wrote:
I am building a very large fishing lure with Western Red Cedar. Because
of its weight, I am worried that the front screw eyes I typically use
will pull out. In fact, some tests I ran showed that the screw would
come out. I could use a more dense wood like maple but I very much
enjoy using WRC and besides that it's a wonderful wood for making
lures.

I tried flattening out the head end of a 3" wood screw and then
drilling it out on the end for a line tie but it wouldn't quite work.
Is there such a thing as a large wood screw with a hole on the end of
it allowing something to be tied to it? I would like something about
3" long.

Any ideas or suggestions much appreciated!

thank you

II

Suspended ceilings use some pretty large screw-in eye-bolts.

Brad