DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Help with screw eyes (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/127703-help-screw-eyes.html)

[email protected] November 3rd 05 02:22 AM

Help with screw eyes

I am building a very large fishing lure with Western Red Cedar. Because
of its weight, I am worried that the front screw eyes I typically use
will pull out. In fact, some tests I ran showed that the screw would
come out. I could use a more dense wood like maple but I very much
enjoy using WRC and besides that it's a wonderful wood for making
lures.

I tried flattening out the head end of a 3" wood screw and then
drilling it out on the end for a line tie but it wouldn't quite work.
Is there such a thing as a large wood screw with a hole on the end of
it allowing something to be tied to it? I would like something about
3" long.

Any ideas or suggestions much appreciated!

thank you

II

DanG November 3rd 05 02:29 AM

Help with screw eyes

I had a friend who used to make lures. He always buried stainless
steel wire through the line ties and hook ties. He told me that
those Steelhead would rip 'em right out otherwise. I realize you
are not casting your lures, but perhaps you can drill all the way
through the lure and install with wire rope/stainless wire, etc.

Drill through and twist a coil on the far side of the lure?

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

ups.com...

Lew Hodgett November 3rd 05 02:55 AM

Help with screw eyes

wrote:
I am building a very large fishing lure with Western Red Cedar. Because
of its weight, I am worried that the front screw eyes I typically use
will pull out. In fact, some tests I ran showed that the screw would
come out. I could use a more dense wood like maple but I very much
enjoy using WRC and besides that it's a wonderful wood for making
lures.

It's epoxy time.

Drill a hole about 2 times the diameter of the screw, then fill with a
soupy mixture of epoxy and microballoons.

When cured, drill the pilot hole for the screw eye.

Your local library should have a copy of The Gougeon Bros on Boat Building.

Lots of good info in it to solve your problem.

Lew

[email protected] November 3rd 05 04:03 AM

Help with screw eyes

Hey thank you guys for the ideas. I don't want to use the "through
wire method" because the lure is large.....about 16 inches in length!
You can imagine tho the weight of the lure with it being so big. I
have some two part epoxy, maybe I can try experimenting with it. Thank
you again!

II

[email protected] November 3rd 05 05:00 AM

Help with screw eyes

How about cutting out a plug and glueing in a hardwood filler?

Andy November 3rd 05 05:10 AM

Help with screw eyes

Maybe a drilled-out thumbscrew? Just get something that looks like
http://www.gototem.com/Webgifs/ClipA...ThumbScrew.GIF
available from your local hardware store, borg, etc., and drill out the
thumb part. Basically turn it in to a big screw eye (de-burr the
inside edges if necessary). If you can't find one with wide enough
threads, use the epoxy method mentioned above to secure the thumbscrew
in the lure.
Can I ask why you're making a 16" fishing lure? Going for Champ or
Nessie? (I know it must be for display somewhere, but it sounds like a
fun project to do something at 10X the normal scale...)
Andy

mac davis November 3rd 05 07:17 PM

Help with screw eyes

On 2 Nov 2005 18:22:43 -0800, wrote:

I am building a very large fishing lure with Western Red Cedar. Because
of its weight, I am worried that the front screw eyes I typically use
will pull out. In fact, some tests I ran showed that the screw would
come out. I could use a more dense wood like maple but I very much
enjoy using WRC and besides that it's a wonderful wood for making
lures.

I tried flattening out the head end of a 3" wood screw and then
drilling it out on the end for a line tie but it wouldn't quite work.
Is there such a thing as a large wood screw with a hole on the end of
it allowing something to be tied to it? I would like something about
3" long.

Any ideas or suggestions much appreciated!

thank you

II

You might try one of those screws that they hang wire-suspended ceilings with...
no idea what you call them, but they're about 3 or 4 inches long and look like a
wood screw but instead of a "head", they have the last 1/2 or 3/4" flattened
with a hole in it...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Brad Bruce November 3rd 05 10:36 PM

Help with screw eyes

wrote:
I am building a very large fishing lure with Western Red Cedar. Because
of its weight, I am worried that the front screw eyes I typically use
will pull out. In fact, some tests I ran showed that the screw would
come out. I could use a more dense wood like maple but I very much
enjoy using WRC and besides that it's a wonderful wood for making
lures.

I tried flattening out the head end of a 3" wood screw and then
drilling it out on the end for a line tie but it wouldn't quite work.
Is there such a thing as a large wood screw with a hole on the end of
it allowing something to be tied to it? I would like something about
3" long.

Any ideas or suggestions much appreciated!

thank you

II

Suspended ceilings use some pretty large screw-in eye-bolts.

Brad

[email protected] November 4th 05 05:52 AM

Help with screw eyes

Some more great ideas. I thought about the wood plug idea and that may
work although I was hoping for something with more certainty if that
makes sense. I am guessing tho that the wood plug would work if I used
a good hardwood to screw into. I like the thumbscrew idea and will look
into that. I really like the suspended ceiling screw idea! I hope I
can find some of them at Home Depot.

Oh, I am building the lure not as a novelty but as something that will
be used...therefore the need for strength! Thank you again.

II

[email protected] November 4th 05 06:02 AM

Help with screw eyes

Some more great ideas. I thought about the wood plug idea and that may
work although I was hoping for something certainty if that makes sense.

[email protected] November 4th 05 06:23 AM

Help with screw eyes

On 3 Nov 2005 21:52:56 -0800, wrote:

Some more great ideas. I thought about the wood plug idea and that may
work although I was hoping for something with more certainty if that
makes sense. I am guessing tho that the wood plug would work if I used
a good hardwood to screw into. I like the thumbscrew idea and will look
into that. I really like the suspended ceiling screw idea! I hope I
can find some of them at Home Depot.

Oh, I am building the lure not as a novelty but as something that will
be used...therefore the need for strength! Thank you again.

II

if it's gonna get used you should be using stainless.

stainless tie wire is probably the right thing.make a loop of it that
twists up and flattens out to a bit longer than the body. drill a hole
all of the way through the body lengthwise, pass the wire loop through
and epoxy it in. now the wore is attached at both ends and the wood
is just riding there.