Leon

Default Refurbished Unisaws

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...
My point is that although we like to buy American, some foreign makes are
superior. So superior that they now justify putting assembly plants in
the US. EVERY country is capable of making junk or making a quality
product.

I think the real reason for building plants in the US is to avoid the
rediculously high import tax. IIRC the Acura that my wife and I bought in
1990 stickered for about 14,500. Had there been no import tax the sticker
would have been closer to $10,000.

Swingman

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
joe2 wrote:

Personally, I boycott anything marked “made in China”, been doing so
for most of two decades, but it’s getting harder and harder to get
around.

About a year ago we needed a toaster. They range in price from $8.00 to
$250. The only one not made in China was the $250 Dualit from England. I
could not justify the extra $200 so I had no other choice.

We've a Prestige 'Aroma', dual, non sissy, full Monte, four banger bagel
toaster for about four years that I thought was a pretty damn good toaster
because that sucker has a timer SO F**&ING GOOD that it pops up PERFECTLY
toasted bread the EXACT _same_ second that my two morning eggs are done to
perfection!!

... until I read your post, that is. I just turned the damn thing over
(spreading crumbs all over the place in the process ... thanks a lot) and
DAMN me if it ain't gasp "Made in China"!

Now I feel screwed, despite the fact it's performed flawlessly for all that
time.

Jeeeezuss, what's this country coming to?!?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

Morris Dovey

Default [OT] Chinese toasters, etc.

Swingman (in ) said:

| Jeeeezuss, what's this country coming to?!?

You made me look. The kitchenAid (a Whirlpool brand) on our counter
claims to come from St. Joseph, Michigan. I have another in my
consulting kit that I bought in a Philly WalMart for $14.95 (along
with a similarly priced rice cooker) that I can't imagine coming from
fron anywhere other than China.

The KitchenAid toaster has an LED "toastedness" display, but doesn't
do a noticably better job (repeatable result, even-toasting, etc) than
the $85-cheaper Chinese product. Both of 'em are a PIA when it comes
to emptying the crumbs [thank you very much for the reminder!]

But the only conclusion that this discussion leads to is that some
Chinese factories can produce _some_ things less-expensively than
American factories can. If you're a toaster production line assembly
person being paid $20/hour (based on seniority) to put the four bottom
screws through the plastic feet, that's probably disturbing.

The word "some" above is important. There's stuff _not_ coming out of
Chinese factories yet that _is_ produced here. We can either complain
about how they've learned to do some of the things that we learned
sooner, or we can focus on providing the world with the things that
they can't produce less expensively (yet).

The really important question has to be: Is there a scenario in which
everyone does that business activity they do best so as to produce a
synergy of American and Chinese (and ...) efforts?

I'm fairly well convinced that win-lose strategies utlimately produce
only lose-lose results.

It would seem that the world has shrunk to the point where we're
obliged to start learning how to "play well with others" - and to
remember that we don't own all the toys nor make all the rules.

Fortunately, excellence is still treasured everywhere.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Greg G.

BB said:

"Greg G." wrote in message
.. .

alternative is to go Commando... but it sure is cold.... brrr....

Visit your local thrift shop - it may be used but usually is still in good
working order and you will benefit the group that they are supporting. . .

Do you really want to buy used underwear?
I mean, someone else's 'boys' have been in there... ;-)

There may be a law that prohibits selling used underwear, I've never
seen any - but I could be wrong. Perhaps it's that no one buys it so
they don't bother putting it out.

Greg G.
Swingman

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message

Fortunately, excellence is still treasured everywhere.

Did I mention that the Eureka "Boss" I used to suck up all those crumbs was
'Assembled in Mexico'?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

Jim Weisgram

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 02:44:52 -0400, Greg wrote:

Local dealer is selling "factory refurbished" Delta Unisaws with the
50" commercial Beisemeyer Fences, model 36-L31X-BC50 for $1299.
They look like new, but only have a 6 month warranty.

Is the Unisaw still worth having, or would a Grizzly 1023SL be a
better choice. Although I own many Delta tools, I haven't been very
happy with the last few Delta products or their customer (non) service
as of late.

Are the handwheels durable and heavy enough to give the mech a nice
feel? Or have they cheaped out and gone to aluminum or (shudder)
plastic handwheels? Are the trunnions the same as they used to be?
Do they still use that overpriced proprietary motor mount?

Anyone bought one of these, any caveats?

Thanks,

Greg G.

I am a happy owner of a Grizzly 1023SL.

Still, for $1299 for a Unisaw that you can get locally, that might be
a better deal. First, if you get a Grizzly with a 50" fence, it will
raise the price; add shipping and I guess you would be right at $1299.

Then there is the benefit of a local vendor. Grizzly does a great job
of after sales support, but it is long distance. If you need a
replacement part, it will take a few days to arrive.

Either way, I believe you will get a fine deal.

Jim Weisgram

Greg G.

Leon said:

"Greg G." wrote in message
.. .

Is the Unisaw still worth having, or would a Grizzly 1023SL be a
better choice. Although I own many Delta tools, I haven't been very
happy with the last few Delta products or their customer (non) service
as of late.

Well Delta has had a problem with Unisaws in the last 7 or 8 years. The
factory was blaming the shippers and apparently they have finally admitted
to improper assembly methods. Trunions have been breaking at what I would
call an alarming rate. If the saw looks like new you have ask yourself why
it had to be refurbished as it should have lasted many many years. I would
say it is a good bet that the trunion had to be replaced. Something to
thhink about.

I have heard the same thing. When I asked the salesman about it, he
denied there was a problem and then stalked off in a huff...

Apparently, however, if you do get an unbroken one, it doesn't
subsequently break in service. But it IS worrysome... Is there a
crack lurking in there - cast iron is funny like that...

I would say, however, that dropping the saw on it's side - with a huge
motor attached - would constitute undue and abnormal stress.

Greg G.
Swingman

"Greg G." wrote in message

I have heard the same thing. When I asked the salesman about it, he
denied there was a problem and then stalked off in a huff...

Old news (there's a contradiction in terms for you) ... IIRC, that problem,
not all that prevalent in the first place considering the number of units
sold, was addressed/solved at last two or three years ago.

Certainly not something to kill a deal unless one is looking for an excuse,
IMO.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

Greg G.

Swingman said:

"Greg G." wrote in message

I have heard the same thing. When I asked the salesman about it, he
denied there was a problem and then stalked off in a huff...

Old news (there's a contradiction in terms for you) ... IIRC, that problem,
not all that prevalent in the first place considering the number of units
sold, was addressed/solved at last two or three years ago.

This was last year - the last time I was caught drooling over a new
saw...

Being a local dealer, however, I would think the problem of subsequent
shipping damage would rest squarely on the purchasers shoulders.

Certainly not something to kill a deal unless one is looking for an excuse,
IMO.

My problem at this point would be how to get the darned thing off my
truck with only two helpers - one of them being a large, but wimpy,
friend and the other being SWMBO. Partial disassembly on the pallet
would help - but I'm not sure. They claim a weight of ~450 pounds,
but from the horror stories I've read concerning moving heavy saws...

I AM lucky to have a drive the runs right up to the door, however.
No 250' treks across a wet lawn, down a hill, and around a curving
staircase.

Greg G.
BB

"Greg G." wrote in message
BB said:

"Greg G." wrote in message
.. .

alternative is to go Commando... but it sure is cold.... brrr....

Visit your local thrift shop - it may be used but usually is still in

good
working order and you will benefit the group that they are supporting. .

..

Do you really want to buy used underwear?
I mean, someone else's 'boys' have been in there... ;-)

There may be a law that prohibits selling used underwear, I've never
seen any - but I could be wrong. Perhaps it's that no one buys it so
they don't bother putting it out.

You had been talking about a TOASTER. . .

BB

BB

"Greg G." wrote in message
Swingman said:

"Greg G." wrote in message

[...]

When I bought my 5HP Left Tilt Uni (500+ pounds) several years ago - I
brought it home on my utility trailer behind my van - Woodcraft warned me
to be careful and not drop it or bounce in the trailer (hit bumps on the
road et al ) as it could damage the trunion (when I unpacked it and set it
up there was a large very firm block of foam that the motor was resting on -
I kept this in case I ever have to move it) - When I got home I made a ramp
of 2x10 and slid it down to a moving dolly and then into the garage - the
key is taking it slow and easy - don't rush and you could even unload it by
yourself - I had a couple of piano movers take a full size upright down a
set of steep stairs by themselves and it weighs more than the Uni - remember
your physics class and use the correct items to make it easier and safer.

BB

Swingman

"BB" wrote in message

yourself - I had a couple of piano movers take a full size upright down a
set of steep stairs by themselves and it weighs more than the Uni -

remember
your physics class and use the correct items to make it easier and safer.

A few years ago I had a piano picked up after a flood by a restorer and his
smallish 16 year old daughter (a sad story in itself as I found out later,
as her mother had died when she was three and it had been her dad and her
against the world ever since).

In any event, these two moved that piano down four steps, out to the curb
and loaded it into the back of a pickup with a camper on it, by themselves,
without breaking a sweat, and in less time than it takes to tell ... it was
one of the most magnificent displays of choreographed physics I've ever
witnessed. Archimedes would have been proud.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/05

Charlie Self

Swingman wrote:
"BB" wrote in message

yourself - I had a couple of piano movers take a full size upright down a
set of steep stairs by themselves and it weighs more than the Uni -

remember
your physics class and use the correct items to make it easier and safer.

A few years ago I had a piano picked up after a flood by a restorer and his
smallish 16 year old daughter (a sad story in itself as I found out later,
as her mother had died when she was three and it had been her dad and her
against the world ever since).

In any event, these two moved that piano down four steps, out to the curb
and loaded it into the back of a pickup with a camper on it, by themselves,
without breaking a sweat, and in less time than it takes to tell ... it was
one of the most magnificent displays of choreographed physics I've ever
witnessed. Archimedes would have been proud.

Back around '71, I was living in a second floor apartment in Albany,
NY. Brownstone. Up to the stoop, which was about 8 or 9 stairs. Then up
a full, narrow flight with a sharp turn at the very top...first floor
ceilings were at least 10' tall, so lots of steps. We bought a new
refrigerator. One guy delivered it. I just looked at him, from my 6'2"
and 185 pounds (them days are gone forever). He was maybe 5'9 and about
140 pounds, my father's size and weight. I figured I was going to have
to help, but he lowered the box off the truck by himself with two
straps. He then pulled the cardboard off, slipped a line around it, and
hooked that to a tump line around his forehead and slowly walked that
300+ pound icebox up those two flights, walked through the hall and set
it in place in the kitchen.

I stood there with my mouth open, during which period he leveled it and
plugged it in and took the 10 buck tip I handed him.

Leon

"Greg G." wrote in message

I have heard the same thing. When I asked the salesman about it, he
denied there was a problem and then stalked off in a huff...

When I was looking at cabinet saws about 6 years ago I compared a Unisaw and
a Jet side by side. The salesman walked over and told me not to try to
raise or tilt the blade on the Unisaw. The trunion was broken. That was the
first time I had heard of that problem but have 8 or 9 times since. Delta
blamed the trucking companies and yet Grizzly, Jet, Powermatic, and others
were not having this problem. I suppose you could say the truckers were
targeting Unisaws. LOL. I think 2 or 3 years ago Delta finally admitted
that the trunions were not being properly torqued during assembly at the
factory.

Apparently, however, if you do get an unbroken one, it doesn't
subsequently break in service. But it IS worrysome... Is there a
crack lurking in there - cast iron is funny like that...

That is the way I under stand it. The trip was just too hard on the
Unisaws.

I would say, however, that dropping the saw on it's side - with a huge
motor attached - would constitute undue and abnormal stress.

Absolutely, Unfortunately the Deltas were not being treated that badly.

Greg G.

BB said:

"Greg G." wrote in message
.. .
BB said:

.. .

.

Do you really want to buy used underwear?
I mean, someone else's 'boys' have been in there... ;-)

There may be a law that prohibits selling used underwear, I've never
seen any - but I could be wrong. Perhaps it's that no one buys it so
they don't bother putting it out.

You had been talking about a TOASTER. . .

OK - I get it now.
But you posted the comment under the underwear portion.
At least I got a good laugh out of it.

Actually, when I lived in Florida, I frequented the local Salvation
Army and Goodwill stores quite a bit - not for cloths, but hardware.
Unfortunately, I rarely found anything worth buying. There are no
stores near where I live now - and it would require a trip into
downtown - a place I try my best to never go.

Greg G.
Frank Boettcher

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 13:18:42 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Greg G." wrote in message
.. .

Is the Unisaw still worth having, or would a Grizzly 1023SL be a
better choice. Although I own many Delta tools, I haven't been very
happy with the last few Delta products or their customer (non) service
as of late.

Well Delta has had a problem with Unisaws in the last 7 or 8 years. The
factory was blaming the shippers and apparently they have finally admitted
to improper assembly methods. Trunions have been breaking at what I would
call an alarming rate. If the saw looks like new you have ask yourself why
it had to be refurbished as it should have lasted many many years. I would
say it is a good bet that the trunion had to be replaced. Something to
thhink about.

Leon,

I have a great deal of respect for you through reading your posts but
in this case you have been mislead by someone. I've read the threads
on this before and there has been much misinformation.

There has never been a problem with the torque setting at the factory
on the trunion bracket bolts or any other improper assembly methods.
This comment has been posted a number of times and regardless of the
original source, it is not true.

The package design has been ISTA tested with the appropriate inclined
plane, straight drop and vibrations tests at an independent lab. It
holds a transit tested rating. Even so, trunions would ocasionally
break in shipment even when the package looked fine on arrival.

In testing to try to find out why they were breaking the only way the
trunions could be broken was to tip the unit over and have it land
solidly on the front table edge. When this happened there was no
packaging damage, the internal damage was concealed. You can't imagine
how many sets I've observed broken during that testing process. It is
kind of sickening to keep tipping a saw over just to see if you could
get a statistical read on what would break.

Changes made a number of years ago were to specifically address this
issue. The red motor strap was removed, not to save money but because
it was creating another problem. freight dock drivers would drive up
on a running pickup and slam fork lift masts into the relatively
unprotected end bell of the motor, breaking the end bell and sometimes
the motor bracket. The change was to drop the motor down as far into
the cabinet as possible, supporting it on the dust chute, to protect
it and also to lower the center of gravity to make tip overs less
likely.

A device called a tilt watch was added to the package alerting a
distributor to not accept the package from the freight carrier if the
device had been activated. The only way it could be activated is if
the freight dock person had tipped it over.

The only design change on the trunion brackets and trunions was to
increase the cross sections where there was breakage and to increase
any radii to eliminate the notch effect on impact. There has been no
reduction in the specifications for chemical or mechanical properties
of the iron as was suggested in some old threads.

There were a number of other changes to the pack to improve the
shippability. And after any change the unit was transit tested again
by an independent lab.

A broken internal component is a small percentage of returns. Most
are minor (cosmetic) freight damage or internal warehouse damage or
distributor resets. Many come in and the refurb diagnosis indicates no
apparent reason. However, the refurb process is outstanding. You will
get a good saw if you buy refurb. My everyday use unisaw is a
reconditioned unit.

Why post now? It was/is a company policy not to respond to posts on
unmoderated news groups. I no longer work for the company and I do
not represent them with this post. It is, however, the truth.

Frank

Greg G.

Swingman said:

"BB" wrote in message

yourself - I had a couple of piano movers take a full size upright down a
set of steep stairs by themselves and it weighs more than the Uni -

remember
your physics class and use the correct items to make it easier and safer.

A few years ago I had a piano picked up after a flood by a restorer and his
smallish 16 year old daughter (a sad story in itself as I found out later,
as her mother had died when she was three and it had been her dad and her
against the world ever since).

In any event, these two moved that piano down four steps, out to the curb
and loaded it into the back of a pickup with a camper on it, by themselves,
without breaking a sweat, and in less time than it takes to tell ... it was
one of the most magnificent displays of choreographed physics I've ever
witnessed. Archimedes would have been proud.

OK - you all have convinced me. It's not that big of a problem.
If one old man and a young lady can move piano - all I have to do is
think positive and use the laws of physics to my advantage.

I used to occasionally deliver (1980s) Big Screen TVs to our more
picky customers, 'cause our delivery crews were a bunch of animals.
We had to pay for Delft plates, broken door trim, etc. One guy
grabbed what he thought was a "rock" from the landscaping and tossed
it under the wheels of the van (due to a steep grade). The customer
had an absolute fit. Turned out it was some sort of imported oriental
"lawn art".

Anyway, granted a BS isn't quite as heavy as a tablesaw, but if I can
haul one of those alone, I shouldn't have a problem moving a 500 lb.
saw to the ground from the bed of a truck, and 15 feet into the shop.

I'll send you guys a card from the hospital... ;-)

I just hope to hell I get a flat table. The contractor saw I bought
years ago had such a severe hump in the top, right at the blade
opening (the mill skipped, probably due to too heavy a cut), that it
would leave a wave on the end of a cut. That was almost the end of my
woodworking, as I found I could make a better cut with a circular saw.
I read a few books by Ian Kirby and Kelly Meyer, and figured out what
was wrong. I ground some of it down myself and starting using a
cutoff sled and that helped considerably. But it's still not great -
just functional. For 3 times the price, I want this sucker *perfect*.

So, a couple more stupid questions.
Does this come assembled on a pallet?
What does the table weigh?
(i.e. - Would it be beneficial to remove the table before unloading?
I have dial indicators and micrometers for re-alignment and would
probably do it anyway - just to be sure and to check out the
innards...)

Greg G.
Member

My Unisaw arrived with a large pink label on the box instructing me to check the contents for possible damage. There was a pierce in the box near the bottom. Looked like a sloppy forklift operator didn’t have the blades set at the right height and smacked into the saw box. Sure enough, the cabinet base was bashed in. I called Woodworker’s Supply and told them, they called Delta, and a new base was sent out that day. When the base arrived I called WW Supply again and asked how to swap bases. DO NOT LEAN THE SAW OVER a very stern voice instructed me. IT WILL BREAK THE TRUNNION.

And there you have it. Unisaw trunnions do break in shipping if they are tilted...of if you lay your Unisaw over to swap bases. The solution is a tilt meter on the shipping carton. It your saw box arrives with a silver meter you are good to go. If it arrives with a red meter, don’t even let them take it off the truck. This I was told when I purchased my saw, to check the meter before the saw is unloaded. So yes, the SHIPPERS are not keeping the saws upright, so I guess you can say the shippers are the ones breaking the trunnions. But you could also argue it should be possible to design a saw that can be tipped on it’s side without damage.

Unless your Unisaw is tilted you're not likely to have any trunnion trouble. Don't know how far over you can tip it before the weight of the stuff on the trunnion causes a problem for it.

Edit: I won’t tell you how I single-handedly swapped bases on a 300lb saw without tilting it. However, I claim to have a much better understanding of how the pyramids were built.

Last edited by joe2 : October 31st 05 at 12:44 AM
Greg G.

Frank Boettcher said:

[...]

This was a very informative rundown on the problems associated with
the trunnions and as I suspected all along - improper handling by
shippers was the cause. I have never heard of one breaking in use.
I HAVE, however, see dock crews in action - and it is appalling.
I have worked at several large electronics distributors and the damage
caused by idiots on fork lifts was a source of considerable loss
within each company. I've seen them exceed clearly marked stacking
heights, run into equipment with fork lifts at top speed, and tip
equipment off the raised lifts.

My only real fear of a refurb saw is the same reason I work on my own
cars - stripped threads and fasteners. (Used to be a Mercedes
mechanic.) Scratches and dents I can live with. Stripped threads
will keep me up at night. I would hope that, like most production
facilities, you use torque limited air tools in the plant, but I have
no idea.

It is quite interesting to me to hear "war stories" concerning the
plant you managed and the tools I purchase. Feel free to pass along
any more you feel are interesting. For that matter, a tour of the
plant would be a blast. I've toured Ford, GM, and various electronics
plants - but never a stationary machine plant.

It is probably a mistake for management not to participate in this
forum, as long as it doesn't turn into a P.R. affair. After all,
these guys are your primary customers and their ideas are often quite
excellent.

Thanks,

Greg G.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message

You made me look. The kitchenAid (a Whirlpool brand) on our counter
claims to come from St. Joseph, Michigan.

Since toaster flipping is a popular hobby, I took a close look at mine. It
does say KA in Michigan, but the bottom of the label also says Made in
China. I'd be surprised if there are any made in the US in the past 10
years.

At work we pack a lot of products in large poly bags. The best thing to
seal them with is a Teflon coated household iron. I buy Black & Decker.
When I first started buying them 15 years ago, they were $20 to $23
(origins unknown). Now they are $13. What I don't understand is that I was
willing to pay 20 bucks, so why go through a lot of contortions to sell them
cheaper?

Greg G.

Edwin Pawlowski said:

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message

You made me look. The kitchenAid (a Whirlpool brand) on our counter
claims to come from St. Joseph, Michigan.

Since toaster flipping is a popular hobby, I took a close look at mine. It
does say KA in Michigan, but the bottom of the label also says Made in
China. I'd be surprised if there are any made in the US in the past 10
years.

At work we pack a lot of products in large poly bags. The best thing to
seal them with is a Teflon coated household iron. I buy Black & Decker.
When I first started buying them 15 years ago, they were $20 to $23
(origins unknown). Now they are $13. What I don't understand is that I was
willing to pay 20 bucks, so why go through a lot of contortions to sell them
cheaper?

Cheaper, but higher profit margin. And you sell more of them, because
they break more often.

Greg G.
Joe Brophy

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 02:11:33 GMT, Ba r r y
wrote:

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 00:39:30 +0000, joe2
wrote:
I called Woodworker’s Supply
and told them, they called Delta, and a new base was sent out that day.
When the base arrived I called WW Supply again and asked how to swap
bases. DO NOT LEAN THE SAW OVER a very stern voice instructed me. IT
WILL BREAK THE TRUNNION.

I would imagine simply leaning the saw over wouldn't break a cast iron
part.

Dropping the tool into that position, or transporting it that way
might. It sounds as if the retailer was being a bit melodramatic.

Barry

Maybe the weight of the saw against one side of the unit causes some flexon that side,
changing the inner dimensions of the casting and the stress gets focused at the mounting
point of the trunion attachments. I have not heard of people breaking them however.
Joe Brophy
CountryTech Computer
email: