Folklore

Default Mechanics toolchest for woodshop ?

Can anyone recommend a good mechanics tool chest (roller base & upper)
that can tolerate being in an often dusty woodshop? My current chest
is too small, cheap, drawers are hard to open, and too much dust gets
in the drawers and slides. Hoping not to spend too much money,
ideally below $1k for a 36" base & upper.

Craftsman high-end would be about $2k for 36" base & upper, low end
about $800, but low end slides are really rough.

Husky (home depot) seems really cheap.

Also considering Kennedy, Proto, Westward

Any recommendations appreciated.

Charles Spitzer

"Folklore" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a good mechanics tool chest (roller base & upper)
that can tolerate being in an often dusty woodshop? My current chest
is too small, cheap, drawers are hard to open, and too much dust gets
in the drawers and slides. Hoping not to spend too much money,
ideally below $1k for a 36" base & upper.

Craftsman high-end would be about $2k for 36" base & upper, low end
about $800, but low end slides are really rough.

Husky (home depot) seems really cheap.

Also considering Kennedy, Proto, Westward

Any recommendations appreciated.

used. i see these on my local craigslist all the time.

brianlanning

I've been shopping for one also. The craftsman models seem to be on
sale a lot. The main thing to avoid the cheap feel, as far as I can
tell, is ball bearing slides.

The other day, I found an old copy of shopnotes with an "heirloom tool
cabinet". Seemed sort of limited on space to me, but it got me
thinking about it. I could invest some money in some seriously nice
drawer slides, then make the entire cabinet myself. I still may do
this, but I decided against it for the time being because all of my
tools are in a vast collection of little red plastic tool boxes.

brian

The current issue of ShopNotes No.84 has an article about choosing a
mechanics tool chest:

Ultimate Garage: Roll-Around Tool Cabinets
A metal, roll-around cabinet is a great way to organize and protect a
shop full of tools. Learn all about choosing the right kind.

Might help

Jim
http://www.woodblog.com

Wilson

The Kobalt at Lowes looks OK.
Our Costco has a nice, large, stainless, one unit for about $700 that looks
pretty good, if the drawer sizes are right for you.
I'm pretty sure a quality used one would be fine, if it's been cared for.
Wilson
"Folklore" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a good mechanics tool chest (roller base & upper)
that can tolerate being in an often dusty woodshop? My current chest
is too small, cheap, drawers are hard to open, and too much dust gets
in the drawers and slides. Hoping not to spend too much money,
ideally below $1k for a 36" base & upper.

Craftsman high-end would be about $2k for 36" base & upper, low end
about $800, but low end slides are really rough.

Husky (home depot) seems really cheap.

Also considering Kennedy, Proto, Westward

Any recommendations appreciated.

Unquestionably Confused

on 10/26/2005 3:45 PM Folklore said the following:
Can anyone recommend a good mechanics tool chest (roller base & upper)
that can tolerate being in an often dusty woodshop? My current chest
is too small, cheap, drawers are hard to open, and too much dust gets
in the drawers and slides. Hoping not to spend too much money,
ideally below $1k for a 36" base & upper.

Craftsman high-end would be about $2k for 36" base & upper, low end
about $800, but low end slides are really rough.

As someone else said, ball-bearing drawer slides seem to be key. The
cheap crap won't have them and once you have ball-bearings, there seem
to be several grades.

I saw a rather nice looking roller base and chest at Costco. All
stainless steel, ball-bearing drawers - a big honking combination.

Can't remember the exact price but I'm thinking around $750 or so.

Seemed really substantial but I gave it only a quick once over as I'm
not in the market.

I have a set of Stack-On roller base, chest and side cabinet. Works
well for my mechanic's tools and it wasn't high end. Drawers, though
not ball-bearing, work well. They do have some nicer stuff for more $$$

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:45:30 -0500, Folklore wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good mechanics tool chest (roller base & upper)
that can tolerate being in an often dusty woodshop? My current chest
is too small, cheap, drawers are hard to open, and too much dust gets
in the drawers and slides. Hoping not to spend too much money,
ideally below $1k for a 36" base & upper.

Craftsman high-end would be about $2k for 36" base & upper, low end
about $800, but low end slides are really rough.

Husky (home depot) seems really cheap.

Also considering Kennedy, Proto, Westward

Any recommendations appreciated.

my BIL got the best one harborfreight sells. it doesn't look too bad-
stout enough construction and ball bearing slides.
Teamcasa

"Folklore" wrote
Can anyone recommend a good mechanics tool chest (roller base & upper)
that can tolerate being in an often dusty woodshop? My current chest
is too small, cheap, drawers are hard to open, and too much dust gets
in the drawers and slides. Hoping not to spend too much money,
ideally below $1k for a 36" base & upper.

Craftsman high-end would be about $2k for 36" base & upper, low end
about $800, but low end slides are really rough.

Husky (home depot) seems really cheap.

Also considering Kennedy, Proto, Westward

Any recommendations appreciated.

I will admit that I have two Snap-on chests and have been using them since
the early 70s. However, I was a mechanic and my box was in constant, high
and heavy use until I changed professions in 87'.
Recently, I needed an additional chest for my router-bits and accessories
and chose the Craftsman 5 drawer/ball bearing slides box. Its not nearly as
well built or heavy as my 30 year old Snap-on, but it keeps the tools
organized just fine.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Lee Michaels

"Folklore" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a good mechanics tool chest (roller base & upper)
that can tolerate being in an often dusty woodshop? My current chest
is too small, cheap, drawers are hard to open, and too much dust gets
in the drawers and slides. Hoping not to spend too much money,
ideally below $1k for a 36" base & upper.

Craftsman high-end would be about $2k for 36" base & upper, low end
about $800, but low end slides are really rough.

Husky (home depot) seems really cheap.

Also considering Kennedy, Proto, Westward

Any recommendations appreciated.

Costco has a big stainless steel one for about $700.

Similar ones pop up at Home Depot now and then.

Did you look at Grizzly? I have seen two in shops and though they may not be
the best, they are priced economically. And they have RTA shop cabinets,
wall metal cabinets, carts, etc. The only objection I heard was that they
didn't think that tool chests should be painted grizzly green.

Leon

"Folklore" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a good mechanics tool chest (roller base & upper)
that can tolerate being in an often dusty woodshop? My current chest
is too small, cheap, drawers are hard to open, and too much dust gets
in the drawers and slides. Hoping not to spend too much money,
ideally below $1k for a 36" base & upper.

Craftsman high-end would be about $2k for 36" base & upper, low end
about $800, but low end slides are really rough.

Husky (home depot) seems really cheap.

Also considering Kennedy, Proto, Westward

Any recommendations appreciated.

Sams Club has often had a top and bottom chest with good sized drawers.
STAINLESS STEEL, 40" wide IIRC and both boxes stand about 6' tall. A bit
under $700.

Charles Krug

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:45:30 -0500, Folklore wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good mechanics tool chest (roller base & upper)
that can tolerate being in an often dusty woodshop? My current chest
is too small, cheap, drawers are hard to open, and too much dust gets
in the drawers and slides. Hoping not to spend too much money,
ideally below $1k for a 36" base & upper.

Craftsman high-end would be about $2k for 36" base & upper, low end
about $800, but low end slides are really rough.

I like the lowest Craftman line that has ball-bearing slides. Kinda
Middle-ish. I worked in a custom electronics fab shop where we kept our
mechanics tools in just such a chest.

I've also noticed MANY of these chests purchased by shows where they
hide the logo ('cuz MAC, SnapOn, et al was a sponsor) which to me is
always a ringing endorsement.

RonB

Might take a look at Clarke tool chests. Available at Tractor Supply (TSC)
and I am sure other locations. My wife gave me a roll-around set for
Christmas a couple of years ago and it is very nice equipment. Heavy gage,
ball-bearing drawers, etc. Not cheap but well worth the investment.

RonB

CW

I've got a high end Craftsman that is doing fine after 19 years in machine
shops. I've seen plenty of Kennedys and Waterloos that do just as well. For
your use, any of the above will outlive you.

"Folklore" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a good mechanics tool chest (roller base & upper)
that can tolerate being in an often dusty woodshop? My current chest
is too small, cheap, drawers are hard to open, and too much dust gets
in the drawers and slides. Hoping not to spend too much money,
ideally below $1k for a 36" base & upper.

Craftsman high-end would be about $2k for 36" base & upper, low end
about $800, but low end slides are really rough.

Husky (home depot) seems really cheap.

Also considering Kennedy, Proto, Westward

Any recommendations appreciated.

John DeBoo

I'd submit that the cheaper cabinets with the cheaper slides would be
better suited for a woodshop environment vs high rent cabinets with
special bearings, because of sawdust buildup. Cheap ones are real easy
to clean too.
John

Folklore wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good mechanics tool chest (roller base & upper)
that can tolerate being in an often dusty woodshop? My current chest
is too small, cheap, drawers are hard to open, and too much dust gets
in the drawers and slides. Hoping not to spend too much money,
ideally below $1k for a 36" base & upper.

Craftsman high-end would be about $2k for 36" base & upper, low end
about $800, but low end slides are really rough.

Husky (home depot) seems really cheap.

Also considering Kennedy, Proto, Westward

Any recommendations appreciated.

Mike Marlow

"Folklore" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a good mechanics tool chest (roller base & upper)
that can tolerate being in an often dusty woodshop? My current chest
is too small, cheap, drawers are hard to open, and too much dust gets
in the drawers and slides. Hoping not to spend too much money,
ideally below $1k for a 36" base & upper.

Craftsman high-end would be about $2k for 36" base & upper, low end
about $800, but low end slides are really rough.

Husky (home depot) seems really cheap.

Also considering Kennedy, Proto, Westward

Any recommendations appreciated.

Believe it or not, Harbor Freight has a really nice lower unit for a great
price - as tool cabinets go. Under $400 and it's ball bearing loaded in the
drawers. Lots of good sized drawers, nice flat work surface on top. It
lists for $495 on the web site, but our local HF has it priced at about a
hundred bucks lower than that all of the time. The URL is...

-Mike-

Mike Marlow

wrote in message

my BIL got the best one harborfreight sells. it doesn't look too bad-
stout enough construction and ball bearing slides.

Bet that's the one I just posted the url on. I've looked at it at the local
HF and it's a pretty good looking chest.

--

-Mike-

Bob AZ

gerstnerusa.com

Pricey maybe
Bob AZ

B a r r y

Charles Krug wrote:
On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:45:30 -0500, Folklore wrote:

I like the lowest Craftman line that has ball-bearing slides. Kinda
Middle-ish.

Same here.

I also have some extra bottom units with wheels around the shop holding
routers, sanders, jigs, and saw accessories. They work fine, and
they're relatively cheap. I got the idea in several local millwork
shops. We all have the same boxes.

If I was going to spend for a pro-level box, I'd probably just build a
nice one out of wood.

Barry
Upscale

"B a r r y" wrote in message

If I was going to spend for a pro-level box, I'd probably just build a
nice one out of wood.

Id' go with building the cabinet and buying metal drawers.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43326,43330

or maybe just buying metal drawer sides.
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,43614,43616

Brian Elfert

"Leon" writes:

Sams Club has often had a top and bottom chest with good sized drawers.
STAINLESS STEEL, 40" wide IIRC and both boxes stand about 6' tall. A bit
under $700.

I happened to look at this unit at Sam's Club the other day. (I can't
afford one and was just looking out of curiousity.)

The ball bearing slides seemed a little bit rough for the price. The
locking mechanism was screwed up on the display. The top was open and it
was supposedly unlocked, but the drawers would not all open. I had to
lokc the unit and then unlock to get all the drawers to open.

Brian Elfert

Ron Truitt

You might check out Harbor Freight.

I use an old steelcase check cabinet that works well for tools. Got it
for $10 when my wife's company was updating their office.

RonT

bob

"Ron Truitt" wrote in message
You might check out Harbor Freight.

I use an old steelcase check cabinet that works well for tools. Got it
for $10 when my wife's company was updating their office.

RonT

I'm with ya there. I have a collection of old 2 and 4 drawer Steelcase or
equivalent filing cabinets scattered around the basement and the shop. The
have loads of room, and can really take a beating. One holds the hammer
drill, jigsaw, circular saw, another one has all the fasteners, a drawer
here for electrical boxes and wiring stuff, one there for shopvad hoses and
attachments...
Keeps stuff dust-free and easy to find.
I have an el-cheapo mechanic's tool box which I find perfect for drill bits,
measuring and marking do-dads, and planes and chisels that I want to keep
protected.
--
Bob

Travel and Astronomy Photos
http://www3.sympatico.ca/bomo

Rob Mills

"bob" wrote in message

I have a collection of old 2 and 4 drawer Steelcase

These are great for portable tools. I remove the hangers and etc and have
two 4 drawer file cabinets full of sanders, drills, saws, air tools, paint
guns and etc.. Rob Mills

PS, Don't get the newer el-cheapo flimsy ones, they won't hold the load.
Also you can remove the lock and take it to any lock shop to have it
re-keyed if needed. I had both of mine keyed the same.

Rob Mills

"J T" wrote in message

If it ain't broke, don't lend it.

Ain't dat da truth, I have sat aside a "special" circular saw, saber saw and
elect drill+bits just for lending. What can I say, I'm just a good ol boy.
RM~