Jay Pique

Default Magnets from old PCs?

Are there usable magnets in old computers that might be good for making
things in a woodshop - like magnetic featherboards? And if so, are
they worth the trouble of getting them out?

JP

Dave Hinz

On 11 Oct 2005 07:39:01 -0700, Jay Pique wrote:
Are there usable magnets in old computers that might be good for making
things in a woodshop - like magnetic featherboards?

Yup, in the hard drives.

And if so, are
they worth the trouble of getting them out?

Couple screws, 10 minutes per drive maybe, 2 very strong magnets. The
blood blisters are a free benefit if you choose to look at it that way.

Dave Hinz
Joe Gorman

Dave Hinz wrote:
On 11 Oct 2005 07:39:01 -0700, Jay Pique wrote:

Are there usable magnets in old computers that might be good for making
things in a woodshop - like magnetic featherboards?

Yup, in the hard drives.

And if so, are
they worth the trouble of getting them out?

Couple screws, 10 minutes per drive maybe, 2 very strong magnets. The
blood blisters are a free benefit if you choose to look at it that way.

Dave Hinz

Be careful about letting the magnets slam into each other, they will
crack and-or chip. The older larger ones will hold together with my
hand in between, awes the grandkids to see it 'sticking' to my hand.
Joe
Jay Pique

Thanks. I think I'll take a crack at one of them and see what it's
like. Further bulletins as events warrant. (FBAEW?.....Hmmm...what's
the process by which a new acronym is added to the compendium of usenet
jargon?)

JP
*********************************
Etymologically speaking?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks. I think I'll take a crack at one of them and see what it's
like. Further bulletins as events warrant. (FBAEW?.....Hmmm...what's
the process by which a new acronym is added to the compendium of usenet
jargon?)

Careful when opening the hard drives. If it has everything deleted you're
safe, but if the drive is nearly full, do it over a trash can. All the 1's
and 0's spill out and make a mess worse than packing peanuts.

Clint

I've killed a few HD's, and used the magents to keep things like the chuck
key on my drill press. They're a funny shape and there's usually another
chunk of metal attached to them, so I haven't found a use for embedding them
in a project like you might for the nice round ones from Lee Valley.

As others have mentioned, they are powerful, so it's not a good idea to let
the kids play with them (at least not ones the age of my kids).

--
Clint
"Jay Pique" wrote in message
ups.com...
Are there usable magnets in old computers that might be good for making
things in a woodshop - like magnetic featherboards? And if so, are
they worth the trouble of getting them out?

JP

Dave Hinz

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 16:37:05 GMT, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Careful when opening the hard drives. If it has everything deleted you're
safe, but if the drive is nearly full, do it over a trash can. All the 1's
and 0's spill out and make a mess worse than packing peanuts.

Well yes, of course, but keep in mind if it's less than 80% full, you
can run a defrag so that all the bits are on the platters below the top
one. That way they don't spill out because the top one acts as a lid.

Dave Hinz

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:53:10 -0700, J wrote:
Just a tip:

To get the magnets off of their steel backing you just soak them in acetone
overnight then slip them off.

Just watch that you don't get any on your hands...

Dave "Is it a cliche' yet?" Hinz

Kevin

Others have mentioned some of the cautions of using these. Here's another,
keep them well away from any magnetic storage media (floppies, zip drives)
and well away from computer monitors. Strange, unbeneficial things can
happen if you don't.

"Joe Gorman" wrote in message
Dave Hinz wrote:
On 11 Oct 2005 07:39:01 -0700, Jay Pique wrote:

Are there usable magnets in old computers that might be good for making
things in a woodshop - like magnetic featherboards?

Yup, in the hard drives.

And if so, are
they worth the trouble of getting them out?

Couple screws, 10 minutes per drive maybe, 2 very strong magnets. The
blood blisters are a free benefit if you choose to look at it that way.

Dave Hinz

Be careful about letting the magnets slam into each other, they will
crack and-or chip. The older larger ones will hold together with my
hand in between, awes the grandkids to see it 'sticking' to my hand.
Joe

brianlanning

To get the magnets off of their steel backing you just soak them in acetone
overnight then slip them off.

Just watch that you don't get any on your hands...

Yeah, it would suck if your fingernail polish came off. ;-)

brian

EXT

wrote in message
On 11 Oct 2005 08:53:20 -0700, "Jay Pique"
wrote:

Thanks. I think I'll take a crack at one of them and see what it's
like. Further bulletins as events warrant. (FBAEW?.....Hmmm...what's
the process by which a new acronym is added to the compendium of usenet
jargon?)

JP
*********************************
Etymologically speaking?

The magnets in the newer hard drives are pretty unrewarding. They are
strong but very small. Now back in the 3380 days you got MAGNETS (the
size of pavers)

Get bigger, more powerful, donut shaped magnets out of dead microwaves. Took
one apart and found 2 large magnets.

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net

The magnets you're referring to are called "neodymium magnets" ... or
"rare earth magnets". Neodymium is a 'rare earth' element. The term
'rare earth' was used many years ago when such metals were in fact rare.

Neodymium is, as one reader noted, very fragile. If you break the
magnets, you'll get sharp splinters. Be careful.

Personally, I would say just buy them! They're fairly inexpensive and
you can more easily find the exact size and shape you're looking for.

Jack

Jay Pique wrote:
Are there usable magnets in old computers that might be good for making
things in a woodshop - like magnetic featherboards? And if so, are
they worth the trouble of getting them out?

JP

Barry Lennox

wrote:

Are there usable magnets in old computers that might be good for making
things in a woodshop - like magnetic featherboards? And if so, are
they worth the trouble of getting them out?

Yes, but then I'm a packrat. And don't overlook old microwave ovens,
there's a couple of great doughnut-shaped magnets in each magnetron.

Be careful of the high voltage cap tho, short it out with a
screwdriver, I have never found one live yet (they have a built-in
bleeder resistor) but Murphy may live in your street.

Barry Lennox

mac davis

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 17:53:10 GMT, "Clint" wrote:

I've killed a few HD's, and used the magents to keep things like the chuck
key on my drill press. They're a funny shape and there's usually another
chunk of metal attached to them, so I haven't found a use for embedding them
in a project like you might for the nice round ones from Lee Valley.

As others have mentioned, they are powerful, so it's not a good idea to let
the kids play with them (at least not ones the age of my kids).

I take advantage of the funny shape for holding tools... and the metal backings
on the HD's that I took apart had 2 handy mounting holes on them..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Jay Pique

Well folks, I've made an "executive decision" and decided not to take
the magnets out of the old computers. I had access to a dozen or so
that were being disposed of but I really need to start using my time
more effectively if I'm going to try and improve my woodworking skills
- and my bottom line!

JP
What's the opposite of green? In the black?

mac davis

On 12 Oct 2005 14:16:08 -0700, "Jay Pique" wrote:

Well folks, I've made an "executive decision" and decided not to take
the magnets out of the old computers. I had access to a dozen or so
that were being disposed of but I really need to start using my time
more effectively if I'm going to try and improve my woodworking skills
- and my bottom line!

JP
************************************************* ******
What's the opposite of green? In the black?

Probably a good decision... Do what you enjoy doing and spend a few bucks on
magnets...
There are several folks on Ebay that specialize in Rare Earth Magnets... "Pie"
is one of them...
I bought 100 thin 3/8" dia. magnets for $20 plus shipping on a "buy it now" and
use them all the time... going to order some larger ones next..

I just bought a few larger diameter ones at Lee Valley, and though they are
probably very good quality, they were way more expensive than the ones on
Ebay... YMMV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Charles Spitzer

************************************************ *******
What's the opposite of green? In the black?

Probably a good decision... Do what you enjoy doing and spend a few bucks
on
magnets...
There are several folks on Ebay that specialize in Rare Earth Magnets...
"Pie"
is one of them...
I bought 100 thin 3/8" dia. magnets for $20 plus shipping on a "buy it
now" and
use them all the time... going to order some larger ones next..

I just bought a few larger diameter ones at Lee Valley, and though they
are
probably very good quality, they were way more expensive than the ones on
Ebay... YMMV

try
http://www.wondermagnets.com/cgi-bin...manent_Magnets

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Jay Pique

Charles Spitzer wrote:

http://www.wondermagnets.com/cgi-bin...manent_Magnets

They are a bit cheaper than Lee Valley from that store, and a little
bit more cheaper (?) when you get them through Pie's store on eBay.
(Which is the same entity).

JP

mac davis

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:00:53 -0700, "Charles Spitzer"
wrote:

.. .

*********************************************** ********
What's the opposite of green? In the black?

Probably a good decision... Do what you enjoy doing and spend a few bucks
on
magnets...
There are several folks on Ebay that specialize in Rare Earth Magnets...
"Pie"
is one of them...
I bought 100 thin 3/8" dia. magnets for $20 plus shipping on a "buy it
now" and
use them all the time... going to order some larger ones next..

I just bought a few larger diameter ones at Lee Valley, and though they
are
probably very good quality, they were way more expensive than the ones on
Ebay... YMMV

try
http://www.wondermagnets.com/cgi-bin...manent_Magnets

that's the same guy..lol
"pie" on Ebay is "force-field magnets", which is at the "wondermagnets" url...

it's a VERY small world, sometimes!