Darren

Default Turning with magnets inside the wood

I would guess that most people see the subject and say "what the hell?" ...
so bare with me on this ..

I make pepper grinder \ salt shaker sets for wedding gifts etc. I sometimes
make them the same size and have the salt shaker the exact opposite as the
pepper grinder (salt - convex shape where pepper would be concave) so that
they kind of "fit" together. I was talking to someone about them and they
said that I should try to really make them fit almost like a jig saw puzzle
when they are side by side. Then the thought went further that it would be
cool to have them "click" together magnetically. I was thinking that I
could get those round magnets and embed them in the wood when I glue up the
blocks before I turn them. After they are turned, they could be
magnetically attracted to each other without seeing the magnets involved.

The question - would there be any "issues" with turning a glued up wood
block with magnets on the inside?

Thanks
Darren

George

How about boring the appropriate size hole for ring magnets and tacking a
piece of dowel in the opening while turning. Bore, insert a screw, and
break the (hot) glue to mount the magnet?

Experiment with magnets. Some of those rare-earth types would stick so
tight as to make separation tough.

"Darren" wrote in message
I was thinking that I
could get those round magnets and embed them in the wood when I glue up

the
blocks before I turn them. After they are turned, they could be
magnetically attracted to each other without seeing the magnets involved.

The question - would there be any "issues" with turning a glued up wood
block with magnets on the inside?

Thanks
Darren

Chuck

On Tue, 25 May 2004 13:17:43 -0700, "Darren"
wrote:

I would guess that most people see the subject and say "what the hell?" ...
so bare with me on this ..

I'll stay dressed, if it's all the same to you!

I was thinking that I
could get those round magnets and embed them in the wood when I glue up the
blocks before I turn them. After they are turned, they could be
magnetically attracted to each other without seeing the magnets involved.

The question - would there be any "issues" with turning a glued up wood
block with magnets on the inside?

The only real "issues" would be avoiding hitting the magnets while
turning and maybe a problem with balance, depending on how big the
pieces are that you're working with, and how thin you turn them.
Other than that, though, you shouldn't have any problems, as long as
you use rare earth magnets and make sure you have the poles reversed
on them, so they don't repel one another.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

AHilton

Nice idea. I've seen the same thing done before on wood sculpture and it was
pretty cool where the pieces fitted together but could be removed and
rejoined just by the hidden magnets. I've done this myself in some wooden
puzzles where you have a "magic wand" over a piece and it unlocks part of
the puzzle. Of course, the magic wand just has a magnet embedded in it as
does parts of the puzzle.

I do it in woodturnings also a little bit but just for making miniature
scale woodturnings as refridgerator magnets. I have this one little "knob"
made from a really exotic and rare Magnetic Purpleheart wood that I take to
demos. It actually sticks to metal! g Of course, it's just a tiny
rare-earth magnet embedded in there but you can't really see where it is or
how it's in there. It freaks some people.

Your idea should work but as others have noted, you REALLY need to know
where it is (location and depth) or else you're going to have it flying
around the shop fairly quickly. You'll also need to have a maximum of about
3/16" of wood covering each one in the finished product, depending on wood
specie, size of the magnet and how much force you want the two magnets to
exert together. Most woods are far more dense than human fingers or hands
but maybe not many heads g (referencing the oft-demonstrated trick of
putting these magnets on either side of a finger or hand and having them
"stick") and it doesn't take much wood to degrade the performance of these
really powerful magnets.

Just don't blame a "catch" on the magnet spinning too close to the gouge as
you're turning it! g

Let us know how it goes if you try it,

- Andrew

"Darren" wrote in message
[...]

Martin Rost

"AHilton" wrote in message
{SNIP}
Your idea should work but as others have noted, you REALLY need to know
where it is (location and depth) or else you're going to have it flying
around the shop fairly quickly.

I wonder if it would fly out or immediately stick to the tool.

You'll also need to have a maximum of about
3/16" of wood covering each one in the finished product, depending on wood
specie, size of the magnet and how much force you want the two magnets to
exert together. Most woods are far more dense than human fingers or hands
but maybe not many heads g (referencing the oft-demonstrated trick of
putting these magnets on either side of a finger or hand and having them
"stick") and it doesn't take much wood to degrade the performance of these
really powerful magnets.

I don't think the wood will make much difference in the force between the
magnets. It is a function of the separation and magnetic permeability of
the material between them. I just tried a little experiment with some
3/8" dia. 0.2"thk. rare earth magnets (this size can already be tough to
separate). I put them on either side of my finger and they stayed in place.
I then tried it with a similar thickness of wood and noticed no difference.
I also tried how close to the table one magnet has to be to get the other to
jump up to it and noticed no difference with nothing, finger or wood. Just
to put some numbers to this, the magnets would jump together when separate
by about an inch with half of that space occuppied by wood. These might be
larger than he is willing to embed.

Martin

Martin

JMartin957

[...]

Those revolving magnets can induce quite a current in metallic objects within
the field. So I'd"

1. Keep the speed below 3,000 RPM or so.

2. Don't get your face in line with the spinning work, especially if you have
any metallic fillings.

3. Make sure to ground your gouge by contacting the tool rest before it
contacts the workpiece.

Oh, and remove your watch before turning.

John Martin

Leif Thorvaldson

If you'd like the real skinny on using magnets in woodturning, you might try
doing a search of the archives. I attempted to introduce the wonders of
magnetism to this group and received nothing by loathing, scorn and weird
prognostications of tools leaping off wall racks and impaling turners,
magnetic induced warping of the ways, one's red blood cells leached of iron
and on and on! Go for your idea with magnets! I am glad to see someone
else picking up the banner!*G*

Leif
"JMartin957" wrote in message
[...]

Wobblybootie

I did not realise there were so many luddites in the turning world... You still got the article Leif? Duh!! I suppopse I had better lift a finger and do a little searching... why didnt someone work out what I wanted and have it ready for me??? why... why... ummmm why...

Tim GC
AHilton

I wonder if it would fly out or immediately stick to the tool.

I think it would fly out and not stick to the tool. Maybe, just maybe, the
metal tool/toolrest/etc. would affect it's trajectory though IF the magnet
decided to leave the wood really close to where the tool/toolrest was along
the circumference of the wood piece it was embedded in. Depends on the
speed at which the magnet was sent flying in the first place too I
guess(ed).

To test this (I love testing things!), just about an hour ago I put a 2"
wide skew (high carbon not HSS) in a vice pointing straight up and the wide,
flat part parallel with me. I made a little magnet firing gun out of an old
compressor pea-shooter I made once. Basically just a quick opening valve
with a piece of small diameter PVC connected to the compressor. I set it up
so that it would fire the magnets next too the skew at about 3" away. Then
I tried it at 2", 1" and 1/2" away as well. I had the "gun" 2 feet away
from the skew at all times. I shot it 20 times at each distance and then
turned the skew 90 degrees so it was facing me with it's wide, flat part.
My conclusion....

- The magnet never stuck to the skew until I was firing at the 1/2" distance
and only when the skew flat part was faced away from me. Even then, it only
stuck 4 times. The magnet wasn't traveling nearly as fast as it would have
been spinning even at 1000 rpm *I think*. I didn't measure the speed but it
didn't look as fast as those chucks of wood flying past me when I blow up a
bowl.

- I'd like to set up again sometime and see if the trajectory of the magnet
does, indeed, change as it passes by the steel tool.

[...]

Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of the density of the wood and
wood specie affecting how thin you could get the distance between the magnet
and the outside of the wood. You can get hond. rosewood fairly thin and
still be pretty strong. The same can't be said of sycamore, for instance.
Those NIB magnets can get a pretty good pull going and I was wondering how
much attaching/detaching of the two pieces of the turnings would hold up to
such a thing. You'd need a greater distance between the 2 magnets (more
wood between them and the outsides of the pieces) to give you something that
would hold up to the abuse in sycamore and that increased distance will
affect the magnets holding power.

However, I got to thinking of what you thought I meant and decided to give
it a test (did I mention I love testing things?). I know that outside
factors such as temperature affects the strength of magnets but I was
wondering if the density of a material separating 2 magnets would really
affect their strength. This was a really simple test with no quantitative
measuring equipment though. No potential for harm = no fun. All I did was
just take some different wood species at different thicknesses and see if
the magnets would hold.

I first used balsa, mahagony, hard maple, and kingwood in 1/2" thicknesses
with the same 3/8" diameter NIB magnets I used in the previous test.
Couldn't tell a difference. I went up to 3/4" with the same woods. No
difference between the wood species. I went up to 1". Aha! The balsa was
holding (barely) but the kingwood wasn't nearly as much. So, I needed a
more dense (or I think they are) wood to see if this was something. I used
some snakewood and then some lignum vitae at 1" thickness. Yep, those
didn't hold at all. There's not a huge difference but it's noticable. Yes,
there's a big difference in the density of the balsa compared to the
snakewood and lignum vitae and just the slightest difference in the hold of
the magnets between those 2 extremes. I couldn't tell a difference between
the mahogany, maple and kingwood which I'd call a medium to high density in
what we normally work with. The snakewood and lignum vitae are what I'd
call very high density woods.

Of course, these are highly unscientific tests. Way too many factors left
unaccounted for. But, it was an interesting lunch break anyway. I'd like
to hear if you've done your own tests and how they worked out.

- Andrew

Darren

I kind of kicked around this idea a bit more and I don't think I will go
with the magnets for the S & P sets. Just not sure if they will "work"
together - not physically work, but visually work. I like the idea that
they fit together, but having them actually sticking together is a different
idea.

We'll see.

Thanks
Darren not necessarily picking up the banner and running with it ... at
least picking it up

"Leif Thorvaldson" wrote in message
[...]

N00PY

On Thu, 27 May 2004 13:52:11 -0500, "AHilton"
wrote:

[...]

The conclusion is that you have *WAY* too much time on your hands!
Lrens3

I am interested in your question about magnets in turnings. I wanted to embed a
magnet in a wood knocker and then have another in the base of a turned bowl. I
reasoned that if the magnets repelled one another the knocker would knock
against the sides of the bowl and I would have a kinectic bowl. I have tried it
with little success. Either my bowl is too big or the magnets not strong
enough. So goes another failed attempt at greatness.
AHilton

That day, absolutely. I enjoy testing things. Luckily, that's part of one
of my day jobs. Not necessarily firing small magnets at skews g but
product testing and R&D, certainly.

- Andrew

The conclusion is that you have *WAY* too much time on your hands!