John Rouse

Default Apple wood for turning

Some time ago I mentioned that I had some applewood from an old apple
tree. I have recently cut off another of the major branches, and so I e-
mailed those who responded last time, but only one person replied, and
he was too far away. So if anyone wants some goodly chunks of apple wood
for turning, and can collect from North East Derbyshire, bring your
chainsaw.

Indeed if these gales go on, I might have an entire tree to dispose of!

[crossposted]

John
--
John Rouse
Mike

"John Rouse" wrote in message
Some time ago I mentioned that I had some applewood from an old apple
tree. I have recently cut off another of the major branches, and so I e-
mailed those who responded last time, but only one person replied, and
he was too far away. So if anyone wants some goodly chunks of apple wood
for turning, and can collect from North East Derbyshire, bring your
chainsaw.

Indeed if these gales go on, I might have an entire tree to dispose of!

[crossposted]

John
--
John Rouse

and if you are on the Isle of Wight or visiting with a big van :-)) I will
soon have quite a bit of wood, some of it Holm Oak, Willow and others

Mike

Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from John Rouse contains these words:

Some time ago I mentioned that I had some applewood from an old apple
tree. I have recently cut off another of the major branches, and so I e-
mailed those who responded last time, but only one person replied, and
he was too far away. So if anyone wants some goodly chunks of apple wood
for turning, and can collect from North East Derbyshire, bring your
chainsaw.

Indeed if these gales go on, I might have an entire tree to dispose of!

Please! I could certainly do with a long piece of thick wood, and if it
has a bend in it, so much the better. It's for a gunstock to take a big
flintlock barrel, so if you do have a good length, please don't cut it
into little bits!

I should be going from Norfolk to Cheshire fairly soon, and I usually
go: Norwich, Lynn, Newark, Mansfield, Chesterfield, Buxton, Macc,
Knutsford.

Going anywhere close?

--
Rusty
horrid/squeak snailything zetnet/co\uk
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike" contains these words:

and if you are on the Isle of Wight or visiting with a big van :-)) I will
soon have quite a bit of wood, some of it Holm Oak, Willow and others

I'll see if they have any room in Parkhurst.......

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
John Rouse

In article , Jaques d'Alltrades
writes

I should be going from Norfolk to Cheshire fairly soon, and I usually
go: Norwich, Lynn, Newark, Mansfield, Chesterfield, Buxton, Macc,
Knutsford.

Going anywhere close?

On the road from Mansfield to Chesterfield, turn left at Junction 29.
I'll e-mail you more detailed directions.

J.
--
John Rouse

N. Thornton

from John Rouse contains these words:

Some time ago I mentioned that I had some applewood from an old apple
tree. I have recently cut off another of the major branches, and so I e-

Can one do much with choped off garden trees? Not just apple, various
things, eg holly, oak, maple, etc. Trunk sizes varying from 1.5" to
maybe 10". I mean for most of us who dont have sawmills.

Regards, NT
Mike

.. (Though
sycamore is the bees knees for cheesemakers.)

I believe we have some of that being felled. We also have to lop the Scots
Pine by 25% f that is any good

Mike
Isle of Wight

N. Thornton

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote in message ...
The message
from (N. Thornton) contains these words:

from John Rouse contains these words:

Some time ago I mentioned that I had some applewood from an old apple
tree. I have recently cut off another of the major branches, and so I e-

Can one do much with choped off garden trees? Not just apple, various
things, eg holly, oak, maple, etc. Trunk sizes varying from 1.5" to
maybe 10". I mean for most of us who dont have sawmills.

Allow the cut ends to dry sufficiently to take emulsion paint. Paint
over the ends and allow to dry, then melt wax over them. Store in stacks
with air gaps between pieces under cover - preferably under just a
cover, not in a dry shed, and leave for (IIRC) about a year for each
inch of the diameter.

Holly is good for turning, as is maple. Maple makes fine chopping boards
and boards and plugs for use with chessets in cheesemaking. (Though
sycamore is the bees knees for cheesemakers.)

Apple twigs, shavings, chippings, sawdust etc is lovely for smoking
fish, meat and cheese.

Good stuff. If I ever get the time I might try turning the holly into
knobs with an angle grinder and drill - dont have a real lathe but
I've seen this work fine for small objects. Put screw into wood, cut
head off (not own), put screw into drill. That gives you a small
lathe, but without much sideways strength. Use angle grinder as the
wood carving tool. The high speed and grit allows fast cutting with
little pressure.

On a bigger more useful scale, for those of us that dont have the
inclination to store our felled trees for 10 years, what can one do
with trees green? Ie without long storage. Anything?

Regards, NT
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike" contains these words:

. (Though
sycamore is the bees knees for cheesemakers.)

I believe we have some of that being felled. We also have to lop the Scots
Pine by 25% f that is any good

Sycamore is worth saving in big lumps as the wood is practically white,
and doesn't darken appreciably with age.

Scots pine burns well........

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Mike

Sycamore is worth saving in big lumps as the wood is practically white,
and doesn't darken appreciably with age.

I will bear that in mind. Are we talking wood turning or making things ie
funiture? If the former I will notify the Isle of Wight Woodturners
Association again.

Scots pine burns well........

I have a friend who has a wood burning fire in his lounge. He brought his
trailer in last time we felled, and will come back again.

We are only interested in felling or lopping and then getting the wood out
of the way for FREE!! We can then get cracking on turning the area back to
recreational purposes and a football pitch. We also want, and have, to do a
replanting scheme around the perimiter, which is where the trees are coming
from, to make the area a beautiful place to stroll or watch the football.

We have a big meeting at the end of April where we will be gathering up as
many volunteers as possible. I do have the majority of the village behind
the scheme and plenty who have said 'Let me know when you want a hand Mike,
I will come'. (The proof of the pudding etc etc;-)
(Some of those may have wood burning stoves. We do have someone in mind who
will come and pick up all the scrap metal on the site!!)

Mike

Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike" contains these words:

Sycamore is worth saving in big lumps as the wood is practically white,
and doesn't darken appreciably with age.

I will bear that in mind. Are we talking wood turning or making things ie
funiture? If the former I will notify the Isle of Wight Woodturners
Association again.

Mainly the former, but it is much used for making things like
chessboards and chessmen, and sawing into bars for glueing together in
patterns with darker wood(s) and slicing for veneer or for turning.

Chopping boards, rolling pins and other kitchen 'woody' things can be
made from sycamor (or maple) though IMO beech is better. I've never
heard of it being used for furniture, but the quality is there.

Really, it's a very versatile wood

Scots pine burns well........

I have a friend who has a wood burning fire in his lounge. He brought his
trailer in last time we felled, and will come back again.

Good. It might spit on an open fire. (I'm just putting a solid fuel (any
fuel) stove in my living room.

We are only interested in felling or lopping and then getting the wood out
of the way for FREE!! We can then get cracking on turning the area back to
recreational purposes and a football pitch. We also want, and have, to do a
replanting scheme around the perimiter, which is where the trees are coming
from, to make the area a beautiful place to stroll or watch the football.

Ah, ISTR this coming up before.....

We have a big meeting at the end of April where we will be gathering up as
many volunteers as possible. I do have the majority of the village behind
the scheme and plenty who have said 'Let me know when you want a hand Mike,
I will come'. (The proof of the pudding etc etc;-)

Hmmmm.

(Some of those may have wood burning stoves. We do have someone in mind who
will come and pick up all the scrap metal on the site!!)

Well, the best of luck, and don't waste the sycamore!

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

wood colour on dado wallpaper Glenn UK diy 2 March 19th 04 01:31 AM
What Freemasons would like us to believe........ Henry E Schaffer UK diy 2 February 23rd 04 11:06 PM
RSJ on Wood lintel? G&M UK diy 2 February 13th 04 08:08 PM
Wood - why so expensive? Andy Jeffries UK diy 5 August 8th 03 01:21 PM
Floating wood floor. ian UK diy 4 July 25th 03 06:44 PM