Leif Thorvaldson

Default Turning with magnets inside the wood

If you'd like the real skinny on using magnets in woodturning, you might try
doing a search of the archives. I attempted to introduce the wonders of
magnetism to this group and received nothing by loathing, scorn and weird
prognostications of tools leaping off wall racks and impaling turners,
magnetic induced warping of the ways, one's red blood cells leached of iron
and on and on! Go for your idea with magnets! I am glad to see someone
else picking up the banner!*G*

Leif
"JMartin957" wrote in message
I would guess that most people see the subject and say "what the hell?"

so bare with me on this ..

I make pepper grinder \ salt shaker sets for wedding gifts etc. I

sometimes
make them the same size and have the salt shaker the exact opposite as

the
pepper grinder (salt - convex shape where pepper would be concave) so

that
they kind of "fit" together. I was talking to someone about them and

they
said that I should try to really make them fit almost like a jig saw

puzzle
when they are side by side. Then the thought went further that it would

be
cool to have them "click" together magnetically. I was thinking that I
could get those round magnets and embed them in the wood when I glue up

the
blocks before I turn them. After they are turned, they could be
magnetically attracted to each other without seeing the magnets involved.

The question - would there be any "issues" with turning a glued up wood
block with magnets on the inside?

Thanks
Darren

Those revolving magnets can induce quite a current in metallic objects

within
the field. So I'd"

1. Keep the speed below 3,000 RPM or so.

2. Don't get your face in line with the spinning work, especially if you

have
any metallic fillings.

3. Make sure to ground your gouge by contacting the tool rest before it
contacts the workpiece.

Oh, and remove your watch before turning.

John Martin