N00PY

Default Turning with magnets inside the wood

On Thu, 27 May 2004 13:52:11 -0500, "AHilton"
wrote:

I wonder if it would fly out or immediately stick to the tool.

I think it would fly out and not stick to the tool. Maybe, just maybe, the
metal tool/toolrest/etc. would affect it's trajectory though IF the magnet
decided to leave the wood really close to where the tool/toolrest was along
the circumference of the wood piece it was embedded in. Depends on the
speed at which the magnet was sent flying in the first place too I
guess(ed).

To test this (I love testing things!), just about an hour ago I put a 2"
wide skew (high carbon not HSS) in a vice pointing straight up and the wide,
flat part parallel with me. I made a little magnet firing gun out of an old
compressor pea-shooter I made once. Basically just a quick opening valve
with a piece of small diameter PVC connected to the compressor. I set it up
so that it would fire the magnets next too the skew at about 3" away. Then
I tried it at 2", 1" and 1/2" away as well. I had the "gun" 2 feet away
from the skew at all times. I shot it 20 times at each distance and then
turned the skew 90 degrees so it was facing me with it's wide, flat part.
My conclusion....

The conclusion is that you have *WAY* too much time on your hands!