rob

Default Experiences building with bamboo plywood ?

Has anyone built a cabinet or table with bamboo plywood ?

See http://www.plyboo.com/ for one manufacturer.

I'm wondering what glue and finishes it will take.

Any chance someone knows of a distriubtor in the Boston, MA area ?

Thanks,
rob baynes

brianlanning

Was the cracking caused by flexing? drying? or some other mysterious
force?

Also, what does it cost, how well does it machine, and is it hard on
blades and bits?

brian

rob

I just found this, which answers some of those questions. I still
can't find a suplier who will give me any prices.

http://www.greenbuildingsupply.com/P...wood/index.cfm

rob

Duh, that site sells bamboo plywood too.

Holy cow! check out the prices:
http://www.greenbuildingsupply.com/i...related_m1.cfm

Bamboo Plywood: Carbonized Horizontal 4' x 8' x 3/4" Price:
$278.25 a sheet!

Now I know why nobody carries or uses it.

brianlanning

Man, you'd think it was a fraction of that. maybe it's because we
can't grow it here. or maybe it takes a lot more processing to get it
to be shaped like that. Oh well. I was hoping for a sheet stock as
good as ply, but cheaper.

brian

rob

I think its all manufactured in China at this point. The shipping
costs must account for the price.

Robatoy

In article .com,
"rob" wrote:

Bamboo Plywood: Carbonized Horizontal 4' x 8' x 3/4" Price:
$278.25 a sheet!

That's a non-starter for anything I'd be interested in...i.e. countertop
substrate... my goodness.
Ken

Bamboo varieties do grow here in US. Some are cold hardy to -20 deg F.
Some varieties grow to 70 feet in height and substantial girth, others
are more like the poles we normally think of. DAGS and you will be
amazed at the different types (at least I was).

Ken

Robatoy

In article .com,
"rob" wrote:

I think its all manufactured in China at this point. The shipping
costs must account for the price.

That wouldn't be the major factor. Shipping flat stock like that is very
efficient (in terms of cubes (physical volume)).
Solid surface sheets from China, 30" x 144" @ 160 pounds each cost under
CAN$ 40.00 per sheet in lots of 10 skids with 8 sheets each. $ approx
$3000 for 2400 square feet to Vancouver. That stuff is non-standard and
is charged extra. Plywood would be cheaper than that.... but, even at
the same rates, it would only account for $ 1.25 per square ft ie a 32
sq-ft sheet of 3/4" plywood wouldn't be more than $ 40 in freight.
My very generous guestimate would be more like US 20.00 per sheet to
Long beach CA.

$ 55.00 buys a 25 sq-ft sheet of Baltic Birch......that's with the wood
included! ( That would be $ 70 USD for a 4x8 if it came that way..allll
the way from Russia!)

Somebody is working the exotic angle.

World Traveler

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article .com,
"rob" wrote:

I think its all manufactured in China at this point. The shipping
costs must account for the price.

That wouldn't be the major factor. Shipping flat stock like that is very
efficient (in terms of cubes (physical volume)).

[snip]

Somebody is working the exotic angle.

Is there a business opportunity here? I'm growing two clumps of Giant
Timber Bamboo and some Buddha Belly, as well as other types. The clumps
double in size every year once they're started. Here in Central Florida
there's still plenty of suitable land to start a Bamboo grove of viable
size. My estimate is that it would take about 3 years to have enough bamboo
to begin a commercial activity, and should be self-sustaining after that.

Any ideas? (Don't use my e-mail address -- it's not active --)

Regards --

SonomaProducts.com

I believe I posted this elsewhere but direct from Plyboo, last I
checked, it was $170 a sheet. I also saw that my local suppliers had it
for $190.

Robatoy

In article ,
max wrote:

Russian Birch in San Francisco is around $22 for a 5x5 1/2 inch. Is that $55
for you

3/4"- 5'x5' retail yup. I know that's not a good price. $ 22.00 for
1/2" illustrates that there's gouging going on somewhere with the
bamboo.