Default Plywood subfloor for a shed/playhouse

I am building a 8x12 playhouse and am planning to install 3/4" plywood
subfloor. I am following a book for plans & directions. Now, I would
have installed the 3 8x4 plywood sheets one next to the other (8ft
dimension of plywood aligning to the 8ft side of shed) to cover the
8x12 area.

However the book suggests to cut one of the sheets into half (4x4) and
then use one 4x4 and then an 8x4 (8 ft dimension of plywood aligning
with the 12 ft side of shed) on one side, and reverse on the other (ie.
first the 8x4 and then 4x4).

I am sure there is a good reason for it, but it does not say why.
Could someone explain?

Also, what kind of tolerances are "acceptable" when building something
like this? That is, if the size of floor or walls is within 1/8" inch
it is OK or 1/4" inch etc. Is there any particular dimension that
needs to be more exact (e.g. height of walls has to be more exact than
size of floor)?

Thanks

AK

Mark and Kim Smith

Duane Bozarth wrote:

wrote:

...snip...

I am sure there is a good reason for it, but it does not say why.
Could someone explain?

Simply to stagger joints to avoid one joint all the way across...it'll
tie the whole floor structure together more solidly than w/ a continuous
break.

Read his description again. 8' x 12' floor, 3 sheets with the 8' side
along the 8' joist. As long as the joist run along the 8' side, there
will be no joint to stagger. No continuous break. Lay three sheets,
square it up, and nail it down! Otherwise, you are correct, you want to
stagger your joints.

snip
Odinn

On 7/26/2005 1:46 PM mumbled something about the following:
[...]

I'm assuming they're wanting you to lay the plywood like such
(make sure you use a fixed font to view this)

+----+----+ instead of +---------+
| | | | |
| | | | |
+----+ | +---------+
| | | | |
| | | | |
| +----+ +---------+
| | | | |
| | | | |
+----+----+ +---------+

on 16" on center floor joists.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ...
http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply

Thanks all for your replies. They are most helpful

Regards