rob

Default Bamboo lumber

It seems there is a new type of bamboo lumber that crate and barrel are
using for some of their furniture. It looks quite nice.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family...1&SearchPage=1

I searched the web using google, looked in woodweb and an asian woodweb
site for any references to where I can buy this bamboo lumber. I even
contacted crate and barrel (I'm still waiting for a reply). All I
could find are references to bamboo flooring.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to how I might obtain information
about purchasing some of this lumber ?

It sounds like it would be an easily and quickly renewable resource. I
suspect it may be new to the lumber market and there are not that many
manufactures ?

Thanks for the advice,
rob baynes

SonomaProducts.com

There are several companies making Bamboo ply. They might be using
that. The Bamboo ply is mad up of strips compressed. Some of it is
baked to give it a darker color. Some types are not cross laminated so
I suppose you could lay it up to look like lumber. I'll have to stop by
Crate and Barrel and see if they have any of this on display.

Try Plyboo www.plyboo.com.

BW

Dave Miller

Funny you should write this. I was at a Rockler in Burnsville, MN a
couple weeks back while I was home visiting the parents. They had
boards of laminated bamboo, looked to be 3/4 inch thick, about 11" wide,
and maybe 8' long. They were so new the clerks didn't have much
information about them. Looked a little different than the C&B
furniture, the laminations were each maybe 1/4 inch wide. SOrry, don't
have pricing but maybe it's something that will be available soon
elsewhere. Couldn't find it on Rockler's website.

rob wrote:
It seems there is a new type of bamboo lumber that crate and barrel are
using for some of their furniture. It looks quite nice.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family...1&SearchPage=1

I searched the web using google, looked in woodweb and an asian woodweb
site for any references to where I can buy this bamboo lumber. I even
contacted crate and barrel (I'm still waiting for a reply). All I
could find are references to bamboo flooring.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to how I might obtain information
about purchasing some of this lumber ?

It sounds like it would be an easily and quickly renewable resource. I
suspect it may be new to the lumber market and there are not that many
manufactures ?

Thanks for the advice,
rob baynes

rob

Thanks Dave, I'll email Rockler and ask them.

rob

Rockler just made themselves a loyal new customer. I emailed them,
then one of their techsupport guys read my posts in this group and
emailed me some answers.

WOW.

Here's his email:

Rob,
I just saw your posting about bamboo on the "wreck" and found Kim's
e-mail response to your email inquiry to us. Kim is correct that we do
not stock the item through our warehouse, however all of our retail
locations are now to be carrying bamboo. For the Rockler retail store
nearest to you please call 1-877-Rockler or see
http://www.rockler.com/retail/retail.cfm
The bamboo boards offered at our retail stores are laminated boards
3/4" thick x 11-7/8" wide and cost run approximately $15 per foot.

Steve
Technical Support
Rockler Woodworking and Hardware

SonomaProducts.com

Not a bad price for the convenience. 3/4" 4 x 8 sheets from Plyboo are
$170 or about $5.30 a foot. If they aren't local to you many
traditional cabinet shop plywood suppliers carry or can get their stuff
for about $190 and up.

My company (Fair Pacific Bamboo) carries bamboo flooring as well as
bamboo plywood. We ship all over the US. We carry both "horizontal",
which is made of multiple layers of bamboo laminated crosswise, the top
layer being 3/4 wide strips, and "vertical", which is made of multiple
thin bamboo strips laid edgewise. Most bamboo cutting boards are
vertical construction.

We also carry bamboo veneer and other products.

Our stock on the plywood is low at the moment, we recently had a big
purchase from a furniture company, but please give me a call and let me
know your requirements.

Website is at http://www.fairpacific.com

Regards
-Greg

rob wrote:
It seems there is a new type of bamboo lumber that crate and barrel are
using for some of their furniture. It looks quite nice.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family...1&SearchPage=1

I searched the web using google, looked in woodweb and an asian woodweb
site for any references to where I can buy this bamboo lumber. I even
contacted crate and barrel (I'm still waiting for a reply). All I
could find are references to bamboo flooring.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to how I might obtain information
about purchasing some of this lumber ?

It sounds like it would be an easily and quickly renewable resource. I
suspect it may be new to the lumber market and there are not that many
manufactures ?

Thanks for the advice,
rob baynes

brianlanning

ok, since you sell the stuff, why the ridiculous price? It seems to me
that since bamboo grows like a weed, shouldn't it be cheaper than birch
plywood instead of 10 times more?

brian

Odinn

On 10/7/2005 10:44 AM brianlanning mumbled something about the following:
ok, since you sell the stuff, why the ridiculous price? It seems to me
that since bamboo grows like a weed, shouldn't it be cheaper than birch
plywood instead of 10 times more?

Demand, and the process required to make the ply from bamboo vs the
process required to make it from birch.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net
Vulcan Riders Assoc . http://www.vulcanriders.org

rot13 to reply

christmas cash Mark Hopkins Woodturning 4 November 5th 04 05:02 AM
Check out my new lumber auctions on Ebay Gary Woodworking 0 October 23rd 04 02:31 PM
Toronto area lumber? Pick Woodworking 4 November 20th 03 02:29 PM
NEW EXOTIC LUMBER STO HOMESHOP HARDWOODS LOWHITENER Woodworking 2 September 11th 03 10:20 PM