Pete

Default Shaper Cutter Orientation

Maybe you guys can settle an issue.

I run a Grizzly Shaper for raised panel work. The method I use is the
Panel Cutte faces up and I pass the stock over the cutter. Typically I
make 2-3 passes raising the cutter on each pass.
Issue - I had a visitor who stated that he uses the cutter turned over
or facing down. In his work he is passing the stock between the table
and the cutter. He also makes multiple passes but is lowering the
cutter on each pass.

I thought about his comments and wondered is he correct, - is his
method safe?

Any comments TIA

Pete C.
Pete

I did some reading and I think the issue is being discussed her
http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forum...pl?read=406872

These guys are debating whether the panel should be face up or face
down which I believe is the same question I am asking.

Comments please.....Thx

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 06:50:52 -0400, Pete nomail@please wrote:

Maybe you guys can settle an issue.

I run a Grizzly Shaper for raised panel work. The method I use is the
Panel Cutte faces up and I pass the stock over the cutter. Typically I
make 2-3 passes raising the cutter on each pass.
Issue - I had a visitor who stated that he uses the cutter turned over
or facing down. In his work he is passing the stock between the table
and the cutter. He also makes multiple passes but is lowering the
cutter on each pass.

I thought about his comments and wondered is he correct, - is his
method safe?

Any comments TIA

Pete C.

George

"Pete" nomail@please wrote in message
Maybe you guys can settle an issue.

I run a Grizzly Shaper for raised panel work. The method I use is the
Panel Cutte faces up and I pass the stock over the cutter. Typically I
make 2-3 passes raising the cutter on each pass.
Issue - I had a visitor who stated that he uses the cutter turned over
or facing down. In his work he is passing the stock between the table
and the cutter. He also makes multiple passes but is lowering the
cutter on each pass.

I thought about his comments and wondered is he correct, - is his
method safe?

In my opinion, no. I want wood between me and the action, to include the
piece I'm doing and the hold/push devices I'm using. No problem of
pinching, either.

Then there's the other issue - whether referencing from the side not visible
is going to produce the best result.

Duane Bozarth

Pete wrote:

Maybe you guys can settle an issue.

I run a Grizzly Shaper for raised panel work. The method I use is the
Panel Cutte faces up and I pass the stock over the cutter. Typically I
make 2-3 passes raising the cutter on each pass.
Issue - I had a visitor who stated that he uses the cutter turned over
or facing down. In his work he is passing the stock between the table
and the cutter. He also makes multiple passes but is lowering the
cutter on each pass.

I thought about his comments and wondered is he correct, - is his
method safe?

Obviously not as safe. I recommend against it if hand-feeding.

Some cutters or cuts may require the orientation in which case you can't
get away from it, but I avoid it if at all possible.

In addition to the cutter being fully exposed, particularly w/ hand
feeding it is susceptible to ruining the work by inadvertently raising
it and unless it is a reasonably small piece maintaining perfect hold
down is somewhat "iffy" which makes for visible marks in the surface.

So, for at least two reasons I vote "no" unless there's an overriding
other consideration (namely, there's no way to make the cut
otherwise--which isn't true of a panel-raiser).
dadiOH

Pete wrote:
Maybe you guys can settle an issue.

I run a Grizzly Shaper for raised panel work. The method I use is the
Panel Cutte faces up and I pass the stock over the cutter. Typically I
make 2-3 passes raising the cutter on each pass.
Issue - I had a visitor who stated that he uses the cutter turned over
or facing down. In his work he is passing the stock between the table
and the cutter. He also makes multiple passes but is lowering the
cutter on each pass.

He is crazy. NEVER trap wood between a cutter and something else.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Battleax

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Pete wrote:

[...]

Also dust and chip collection may not be ideal with the cutter head exposed,
depending on the design of the machine.

loutent

In article , Pete
nomail@please wrote:

Maybe you guys can settle an issue.

I run a Grizzly Shaper for raised panel work. The method I use is the
Panel Cutte faces up and I pass the stock over the cutter. Typically I
make 2-3 passes raising the cutter on each pass.
Issue - I had a visitor who stated that he uses the cutter turned over
or facing down. In his work he is passing the stock between the table
and the cutter. He also makes multiple passes but is lowering the
cutter on each pass.

I thought about his comments and wondered is he correct, - is his
method safe?

Any comments TIA

Pete C.

Hi Pete,

I have the Grizzly 1.5 HP shaper. I have raised maybe 100 panels
over the last few years for various projects - wainscoting, doors etc.
I always did it face up (use a 5 inch MLCS bit). I usually take 5 or 6
passes, the last one or two very light.

I often thought about the face down method because it seems safer
in some respects. On the other hand, I use push blocks and keep
far away from the cutter.

Another consideration is panel size. I have made small (around 4
inch wide or so) panels on several projects. In those cases, I think
having more material on the table is better since field of the
finished panels winds up to be just a few inched wide. Don't like
doing those in any case.

Maybe I do it face up because that's what I'm used to doing - I can
see what's happening.

I'll think about it again next time.

Lou
Jim Bailey

I run my cutter underneath. That being said, I have a good friend I stop and
see often who has had a cabinet shop for the best part of 40 years. He does
nothing but millwork and RP Doors. Last time I was there he had about 12 -
15 shapers all set up for the production of doors. He has always run his RP
cutters on top. He has used feeders off and on in the past but last trip I
didn't see feeders on any machines, large or small. He's also missing 1/2
of two fingers on one hand. Like most have said, I guess it's preference,
but the idea of a fence slipping back (what happened to my friend), or an
end cut splitting, concerns me enough that I don't care to see the cutter
spinning.

jim

"Pete" nomail@please wrote in message
Maybe you guys can settle an issue.

I run a Grizzly Shaper for raised panel work. The method I use is the
Panel Cutte faces up and I pass the stock over the cutter. Typically I
make 2-3 passes raising the cutter on each pass.
Issue - I had a visitor who stated that he uses the cutter turned over
or facing down. In his work he is passing the stock between the table
and the cutter. He also makes multiple passes but is lowering the
cutter on each pass.

I thought about his comments and wondered is he correct, - is his
method safe?

Any comments TIA

Pete C.

I have seen the top cutter approach in a factory situation using
powered feeders. It allows an operator to see the quality of the work
at each pass without much handling of the piece.

I would not consider it for home use or hand fed machines. Face down
with a pushblock is the safest.

George

Pete wrote:

Maybe you guys can settle an issue.

I run a Grizzly Shaper

Some cutters or cuts may require the orientation in which case you can't
get away from it, but I avoid it if at all possible.

Shapers are normally reversible.

Nope, very real chance of the bit grabing the wood and accelerating it
and throwing it at speed into the workshop

General rule of thumb, DON'T trap a workpiece between the cutter and
the table or fence

Not saying it cannot be done, but it is MUCH riskier than the way you
are doing it

John

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 06:50:52 -0400, Pete nomail@please wrote:

Maybe you guys can settle an issue.

I run a Grizzly Shaper for raised panel work. The method I use is the
Panel Cutte faces up and I pass the stock over the cutter. Typically I
make 2-3 passes raising the cutter on each pass.
Issue - I had a visitor who stated that he uses the cutter turned over
or facing down. In his work he is passing the stock between the table
and the cutter. He also makes multiple passes but is lowering the
cutter on each pass.

I thought about his comments and wondered is he correct, - is his
method safe?

Any comments TIA

Pete C.

You might want to read your shaper manual, which might say something like

4. BLIND CUT WHENEVER POSSIBLE.

This keeps the cutter on the underside of
the workpiece and provides a distance
guard for the operator.

... and somewhat related

7. KEEP ANY UNUSED PORTION OF THE