loutent

In article , Pete
nomail@please wrote:

Maybe you guys can settle an issue.

I run a Grizzly Shaper for raised panel work. The method I use is the
Panel Cutte faces up and I pass the stock over the cutter. Typically I
make 2-3 passes raising the cutter on each pass.
Issue - I had a visitor who stated that he uses the cutter turned over
or facing down. In his work he is passing the stock between the table
and the cutter. He also makes multiple passes but is lowering the
cutter on each pass.

I thought about his comments and wondered is he correct, - is his
method safe?

Any comments TIA

Pete C.

Hi Pete,

I have the Grizzly 1.5 HP shaper. I have raised maybe 100 panels
over the last few years for various projects - wainscoting, doors etc.
I always did it face up (use a 5 inch MLCS bit). I usually take 5 or 6
passes, the last one or two very light.

I often thought about the face down method because it seems safer
in some respects. On the other hand, I use push blocks and keep
far away from the cutter.

Another consideration is panel size. I have made small (around 4
inch wide or so) panels on several projects. In those cases, I think
having more material on the table is better since field of the
finished panels winds up to be just a few inched wide. Don't like
doing those in any case.

Maybe I do it face up because that's what I'm used to doing - I can
see what's happening.

I'll think about it again next time.

Lou