You might want to read your shaper manual, which might say something like

4. BLIND CUT WHENEVER POSSIBLE.

This keeps the cutter on the underside of
the workpiece and provides a distance
guard for the operator.

... and somewhat related

7. KEEP ANY UNUSED PORTION OF THE
CUTER BELOW THE TABLE SUR-
FACE.

Pete nomail@please wrote:
Maybe you guys can settle an issue.

I run a Grizzly Shaper for raised panel work. The method I use is the
Panel Cutte faces up and I pass the stock over the cutter. Typically I
make 2-3 passes raising the cutter on each pass.
Issue - I had a visitor who stated that he uses the cutter turned over
or facing down. In his work he is passing the stock between the table
and the cutter. He also makes multiple passes but is lowering the
cutter on each pass.

I thought about his comments and wondered is he correct, - is his
method safe?

Any comments TIA

Pete C.