Nehmo

Default Hurricane-proof House

Let's say you're building a 1,500 square foot house plus garage on a
sufficiently sized lot from scratch in New Orleans after the water has
been drained. You want to build so that the house would suffer zero
damage should it endure a hurricane of similar size as Katrina.

You would have to build to survive the wind, the flood water, the
wind-caused waves in the water (In Katrina-NOLA, the wind had subsided
before water came in; this may not be the case in the future), and the
impacts of debris.

You need to anticipate looters and unwanted government interference.

The house would have independent utilities, communication, and supplies.
And the house would need a secure means of transportation for escape if
necessary.

How should this house be built and what should it have?

--
|||||||||||||||| Nehmo Sergheyev ||||||||||||||||

Chris

"Nehmo" wrote in message
[...]

Asking the "Three Little Pigs" comes to mind. That is of course if they
are still around.

--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
soldier. If it is in ebonics, thank your Congressman.

vdubbs

Nehmo wrote:
[...]

For one, an address farther inland.

Markem

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 19:14:27 GMT, "Nehmo" wrote:

snipped

How should this house be built and what should it have?

A competent architect, good general contractor and large credit line.

Mark
Robatoy

In article , "Chris"
wrote:

Asking the "Three Little Pigs" comes to mind. That is of course if they
are still around

Didn't one of them go to market?

Cato

Nehmo wrote:
[...]

Dr. Evil's lair with attached Big Boy escape rocket?

This should be a good discussion.

My suggestions are
1. A moat made up of Weber grill burners. Anyone trys to get accross,
you instantly BBQ there ass.
2. Rifle tower, lots of amunition. (5 bullets for each member of
surrounding population)
3. two of each animal to restart population. (preferably opposite
gender).
4. Tele-porter to escape. If you go with a tunnel, it would be
flooded. If you go jet pack, the guy across in his castle will snipe
you from his rifle tower. (Check e-bay for a cheap teleporter.)
5. Seperate ecosystem/ oxygen supply - As ecoli and other diseases
break out, you don't want to be breathing this stuff.

I like the three little pigs idea.
Make sure you don't talk to the first two.

Phil Scott

"Nehmo" wrote in message
[...]

Tilt up concrete walls with rebar from slab foundation...
foundation anchored with 24" diameter deep piles at each
corner.

Flat metal storm roof under the mostly decorative pitched
roof. The storm roof would be poured concrete at 10'.. actual
ceiling in the house would be at 8' or 9'.

Glass would be tempered 1/2" glass. Steel shutters outside.

Doors would be heavy metal, tight sealing that swing out, not
in.

Generator would be propane powered (because it stores well and
doesnt cloggup the generator carb while sitting idle)...Id
have two smaller gen sets..rather than one large one. one
very small honda silent generator.

Sump in the middle of the slab, slope slab to drain 1/8" per
ft. fit a small little giant sump pump in the sump, powered
by the small generator.

Optionally: Put all this on stilts with fold down stairs.

What not to have. Bay windows facing the storm surge. or
sliding doors if you are at ground level..for views and nice
living have wide decks, enclosed with AC or open.. around the
house those will be sacrificed in a storm. Dont build 20'
below sea level. or lower than you are willing to have
pilings to compensate.

Escape: keep an aluminum boat in the garage and a motorcycle
with 150 mile range on a tank of gas.

Costs: You can make the secure core as small as want. Many
people could have paddled out on 4" thick sheets of styrofoam
available at home depot. Anyone could keep a sheet of that
around.

Phil Scott

--
|||||||||||||||| Nehmo Sergheyev ||||||||||||||||

Amun

"Nehmo" wrote in message
[...]

100% Hurricane Proof homes here.

www.winnebagoind.com

Just add a good weather-radio and make sure the tank is always full.

AMUN

David

Phil Scott wrote:

"Nehmo" wrote in message

[...]

swap the tempered glass for bullet-proof. I've broken tempered glass
patio doors. It's not that hard.
Lee Michaels

"Nehmo" wrote in message
[...]

A ferro cement geodesic dome.

Paul Kierstead

You need to anticipate looters and unwanted government interference.

Perhaps a change of goverment or country is what you really need then.

Notan

David wrote:

snip

swap the tempered glass for bullet-proof. I've broken tempered glass
patio doors. It's not that hard.

"It's not that hard."

A little play on words, David? g

Notan
Upscale

"Nehmo" wrote in message

How should this house be built and what should it have?

A $10,000,000 budget.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Nehmo" wrote in message
Let's say you're building a 1,500 square foot house plus garage on a
sufficiently sized lot from scratch in New Orleans after the water has
been drained. You want to build so that the house would suffer zero
damage should it endure a hurricane of similar size as Katrina.

The house would have independent utilities, communication, and supplies.
And the house would need a secure means of transportation for escape if
necessary.

How should this house be built and what should it have?

Some of the codes for building at the shores take some of this into
consideration already. Most have to be raised about eight feet and no
utilities below that.

I'd probably use ICF construction. www.polysteel.com or
www.integraspec.com While the outside may have superficial damage, the
walls would not collapse. Shutters for the windows.

Plenty of supplies on hand, but I'd also have some sort of water
filtration/purification system. Generator, of course, but I'm now sure that
the best fuel would be. You'd want at least a two week fuel supply and
something easily replenished if longer term is needed.

Chris

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article , "Chris"
wrote:

Asking the "Three Little Pigs" comes to mind. That is of course if they
are still around

Didn't one of them go to market?

Yes, but he was looting, so it was ok.

Toller

In the Keys it is assumed you can't evaculate, so they are built to
withstand hurricanes.
I don't know details, but they are all on piers with heavy storm shutters.
Of course, they are above sealevel; not below it like NO. I suppose the
piers would have to be 15' higher, which doesn't seem practical.

GeeDubb

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Nehmo" wrote in message
[...]

Add Composting toilets, solar electric power and a large water storage tank
(3000+)
Dome type concrete construction with garage on bottom with water flow
through capability (open doors to let storm surge through) oh wait, I saw
one of these on Discovery channel already built in Florida. Built to
withstand over 300 mph winds.

Gary

Matt Whiting

Nehmo wrote:
Let's say you're building a 1,500 square foot house plus garage on a
sufficiently sized lot from scratch in New Orleans after the water has
been drained. You want to build so that the house would suffer zero
damage should it endure a hurricane of similar size as Katrina.

You would have to build to survive the wind, the flood water, the
wind-caused waves in the water (In Katrina-NOLA, the wind had subsided
before water came in; this may not be the case in the future), and the
impacts of debris.

You need to anticipate looters and unwanted government interference.

The house would have independent utilities, communication, and supplies.
And the house would need a secure means of transportation for escape if
necessary.

How should this house be built and what should it have?

I'd build it using reinforced concrete with metal shutters to close over
the windows, it's own 30 day water supply and enough fuel to power a
backup generator for that same amount of time, and I'd build it on
columns at least 20' tall above the ground, or whatever the storm surge
level from a cat 5 storm is expected to be in that area.

Matt

Charlie Bress

"Amun" wrote in message
.. .

"Nehmo" wrote in message
[...]

I was going to suggest a trailer hitch.

Charlie

Saab Guy

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 20:54:44 GMT
Matt Whiting wrote:

Nehmo wrote:
[...]

This sounds possible though, not out of the question.

-
Dr. Hardcrab

"Chris" wrote in message

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article , "Chris"
wrote:

Asking the "Three Little Pigs" comes to mind. That is of course if
they
are still around

Didn't one of them go to market?

Yes, but he was looting, so it was ok.

But which one do you shoot?

One had roast beef and the other had nun........

Notan

Matt Whiting wrote:

Nehmo wrote:
[...]

And, while building it off the ground, to get out of harm's way of the water,
aren't you exposing it to more potential wind damage?

Notan
Saab Guy

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 16:11:19 -0400
"Chris" wrote:

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article , "Chris"
wrote:

Asking the "Three Little Pigs" comes to mind. That is of course if they
are still around

Didn't one of them go to market?

Yes, but he was looting, so it was ok.

So let's do a FULL recap of this house. I am going to save this for future use and reference.

Let's fill in the blanks and develope this and have it stand the test of back-and-forth until we ALL agree on the resultant.

Let's also be realistic, but don't limit yourself. Let's be practical but without any sacrifice on anything for the sake of safety & security most importantly.

HURRICANE-HOUSE
--------------------

FUTURE BUILDING SITE: N.O.

FOUNDATION SYSTEM: ?

FLOOR SYSTEM: ?

WALL SYSTEM: ?

ROOF SYSTEM: ?

DOORS & WINDOWS: ?

MOISTURE & THERMAL PROTECTION: ?

FORCE PROTECTION: ?

MECHANICAL SYSTEMS: ?

ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS: ?

Matt Whiting

Saab Guy wrote:

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 20:54:44 GMT
Matt Whiting wrote:

Nehmo wrote:

[...]

It is absolutely possible, but I'm not sure it is economically feasible.
I guess if you REALLY want to live in a below sea level area, it might
be worth it to you.

Matt
Matt Whiting

Notan wrote:
Matt Whiting wrote:

Nehmo wrote:

[...]

Possibly, hence the use of reinforced concrete and the steel shutters.

Matt
George

Nehmo wrote:
Let's say you're building a 1,500 square foot house plus garage on a
sufficiently sized lot from scratch in New Orleans after the water has
been drained. You want to build so that the house would suffer zero
damage should it endure a hurricane of similar size as Katrina.

You would have to build to survive the wind, the flood water, the
wind-caused waves in the water (In Katrina-NOLA, the wind had subsided
before water came in; this may not be the case in the future), and the
impacts of debris.

You need to anticipate looters and unwanted government interference.

The house would have independent utilities, communication, and supplies.
And the house would need a secure means of transportation for escape if
necessary.

How should this house be built and what should it have?

It should (like all others that need to be rebuilt) be placed in a
different location that has stable soil, isn't below sea level and
further inland so it isn't prone to the significant force of a hurricane
coming ashore.
CWatters

"Nehmo" wrote in message

How should this house be built and what should it have?

Underground?

Notan

CWatters wrote:

"Nehmo" wrote in message

How should this house be built and what should it have?

Underground?

That thought, too, crossed my mind.

Underground would prevent *all* wind damage, but the house
would have to be 110% waterproof/watertight, and have some
type of above-ground ventilation system.

Notan
Upscale

"Nehmo" wrote in message
The house would have independent utilities, communication, and supplies.
And the house would need a secure means of transportation for escape if
necessary.

How should this house be built and what should it have?

Considering that no type of house is ever going to be absolutely safe, one
might also plan for the type of statement you want made in your afterlife.
http://www.pulse24.com/Business/Top_...9-002/page.asp

Upscale

"Notan" wrote in message

Underground would prevent *all* wind damage, but the house
would have to be 110% waterproof/watertight, and have some
type of above-ground ventilation system.

House built into the side of a mountain that is above sea level. ~
preferably in a lesser earthquake zone.

Lee Michaels

"Notan" wrote in message
CWatters wrote:

"Nehmo" wrote in message

How should this house be built and what should it have?

Underground?

That thought, too, crossed my mind.

Underground would prevent *all* wind damage, but the house
would have to be 110% waterproof/watertight, and have some
type of above-ground ventilation system.

I knew someone who lived in an underground house on a river plain. It was
underwater at least a month out of the year. The entrance, power, water,
etc. all came in from up the hill. The waste was pumped out to a holding
tank that was emptied regularly.

It was a comfortable house too. No idea how it was constructed. I was a
little young at the time or I would have inquired.

Jim-Poncin

"Notan" wrote in message
Matt Whiting wrote:

Nehmo wrote:
[...]

Yes, and if subjected to heavy wave action it would probably fail. Cat 3
Katrina tore up a lot of heavy duty structures. But even before those
considerations it would cost way too much and would not pass residential
codes because it would be an eyesore.
A realistic house would have to be one at ground level that could
survive immersion. I think that means a heavy stone/cement igloo shaped
structure.

Chris

"Upscale" wrote in message
"Notan" wrote in message

Underground would prevent *all* wind damage, but the house
would have to be 110% waterproof/watertight, and have some
type of above-ground ventilation system.

House built into the side of a mountain that is above sea level. ~
preferably in a lesser earthquake zone.

Versus the mountains that are below sea-level????????????????????

Swingman

"Upscale" wrote in message

How should this house be built and what should it have?

Considering that no type of house is ever going to be absolutely safe,

The basic design is already at least a few thousand years old, on more than
one continent.

.... pyramid.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/05

Notan

Chris wrote:

"Upscale" wrote in message
"Notan" wrote in message

Underground would prevent *all* wind damage, but the house
would have to be 110% waterproof/watertight, and have some
type of above-ground ventilation system.

House built into the side of a mountain that is above sea level. ~
preferably in a lesser earthquake zone.

Versus the mountains that are below sea-level????????????????????

While the wording *is* a bit ambiguous, I think he probably meant,
not at the bottom of a mountain, whose base is at sea level. g

Notan
Chris

"Swingman" wrote in message
"Upscale" wrote in message

How should this house be built and what should it have?

Considering that no type of house is ever going to be absolutely safe,

The basic design is already at least a few thousand years old, on more
than
one continent.

... pyramid.

--

Ya bit they got looted too!

--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
soldier. If it is in ebonics, thank your Congressman.

Robatoy

In article , Notan
wrote:

and have some
type of above-ground ventilation system.

(in my best Python voice) " I would find it and fart in it!"