Jason Quick

Default Wow. Is QSWO *THAT* Rare?

This just seems a bit....ridiculous...

http://tinyurl.com/8we9r

Jason

Dave Balderstone

In article dhaTe.2613$nq.2195@lakeread05, Jason Quick
wrote:

This just seems a bit....ridiculous...

Sending me to a 4x4 pixel ad tracking gif at qksrv.net? Yeah, I'd say
so.

--
Go read this. Now.
http://www.ejectejecteject.com/archives/000129.html
Jason Quick

"Dave Balderstone" wrote:
In article dhaTe.2613$nq.2195@lakeread05, Jason Quick
wrote:

This just seems a bit....ridiculous...

Sending me to a 4x4 pixel ad tracking gif at qksrv.net? Yeah, I'd say
so.

Eh? Worked fine for me.

Jason

Mark & Juanita

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 00:10:07 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

.... snip
--
Go read this. Now.
http://www.ejectejecteject.com/archives/000129.html

Thanks for the link. Eloquently spoken.

Signed,

One who supplies and helps sheepdogs be successful

John B

Jason Quick wrote:
This just seems a bit....ridiculous...

http://tinyurl.com/8we9r

Jason

Worked for me.
Sure is that rare in Aust.

Tina

tone.ca...
wrote:

This just seems a bit....ridiculous...

Sending me to a 4x4 pixel ad tracking gif at qksrv.net? Yeah, I'd say
so.

--
Go read this. Now.
http://www.ejectejecteject.com/archives/000129.html

shill bidding

Tina

Doug Miller

In article dhaTe.2613$nq.2195@lakeread05, "Jason Quick" wrote:
This just seems a bit....ridiculous...

http://tinyurl.com/8we9r

Two book-matched pieces over ten inches wide, going for $9 per board foot ...
doesn't seem *that* unreasonable to me.

--
Regards,

BillyBob

.. .

wrote:
This just seems a bit....ridiculous...

http://tinyurl.com/8we9r

Two book-matched pieces over ten inches wide, going for $9 per board foot

doesn't seem *that* unreasonable to me.

When I checked the bid it was $90.99. I calculate 7.25 finished BF, so the
price is $12.57 BF and that does not include shipping. That's way higher
than what I could get it for in Houston at a local supplier. I know pricing
varies around the country (and the world), but I would not expect Illinois
to be that much out of line.

Bob

Duane Bozarth

wrote:
This just seems a bit....ridiculous...

http://tinyurl.com/8we9r

Two book-matched pieces over ten inches wide, going for $9 per board foot

doesn't seem *that* unreasonable to me.

When I checked the bid it was $90.99. I calculate 7.25 finished BF, so the
price is $12.57 BF and that does not include shipping. That's way higher
than what I could get it for in Houston at a local supplier. I know pricing
varies around the country (and the world), but I would not expect Illinois
to be that much out of line.

What's out of line about a bid? Many items at auction bring far more
than they would on the open market--that's one reason people use
auctions.
SonomaProducts.com

It's actually closer 10bf by typical lumber standards as this would be
considered 4/4. Especially figured woods which are planed down enough
to see the figure so one would expect 4/4 QSWO to be about 7/8 -13/16
but still calced for bf as if it is an inch thick.

So it's about $10 bf which is nearly twice what I pay in California but
I would pay more for more than 8" wide and I supposed the bookmatch
adds some too. However, in my experience, QS wood changes figure
dramitically with liitle difference in depth so getting book matched
pieces that are obviously bookmatched is hard to do. With my rough
resawing abilities, once I plane or sand out the ridges the pieces
don't match much.

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 00:10:07 -0600, the blithe spirit Dave Balderstone
clearly indicated:

wrote:

This just seems a bit....ridiculous...

(Jason, people pay upwards of $35/bf for claro walnut. This works
out to about $10/bf. Not too terribly bad until you add shipping.
Oak ain't light.)

Sending me to a 4x4 pixel ad tracking gif at qksrv.net? Yeah, I'd say
so.

Try www.ebay.com , auction # 8215485251 , Dave. A pair of
10"x5'x13/16" boards. Nice, but a bit pricy at $90.

-------------------------------
Iguana: The other green meat!
-------------------------------
Chris

"Jason Quick" wrote in message
This just seems a bit....ridiculous...

http://tinyurl.com/8we9r

Jason

I would be more interested as to why the OP is posting a link that goes
through a paid per click advertiser. Seems like a lot more trouble than
just posting a link to eBay.

Is the pay-per-click money really that much to you?

--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
soldier. If it is in ebonics, thank your Congressman.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jason Quick" wrote in message
This just seems a bit....ridiculous...

http://tinyurl.com/8we9r

Jason

Not a bad price if you want to build a 20 x 60 table with a bookmatched
top.,

Jason Quick

"Chris" wrote:
"Jason Quick" wrote in message
This just seems a bit....ridiculous...

http://tinyurl.com/8we9r

Jason

I would be more interested as to why the OP is posting a link that goes
through a paid per click advertiser.

News to me...I used TinyURL for the reasons below.

Seems like a lot more trouble than just posting a link to eBay.

I think you'll see why presently. I know nothing of pay-per-click
advertisers. I use TinyURL because it's easy and free. The point of the
service, like others of its ilk, is to make posting and emailing links like
this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/VERY-BEST-EVER-W... cmdZViewItem

....less cumbersome. At 127 characters, such links tend to get truncated.
The above is what I C&P into the box at http://tinyurl.com .

If you prefer, there's this:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?R2E451FBB

Is the pay-per-click money really that much to you?

I think you owe me an apology, and a broader perspective on life. Even if I
*had* something to gain from using TinyURL, you're bitching about something
that's...well, of absolutely no significance.

Jason

Doug Miller

In article 74oTe.2629$nq.193@lakeread05, "Jason Quick" wrote:

News to me...I used TinyURL for the reasons below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VERY-BEST-EVER-W...BOARDS_W0QQite
mZ8215485251QQcategoryZ71231QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewIte m

Posting something like "eBay item# 8215485251" would have gotten the point
across well enough, I think. I imagine that most folks would figure out how to
search eBay for the item number.

--
Regards,

On 7 Sep 2005 00:59:12 GMT, Bruce Barnett
wrote:

(Doug Miller) writes:

Posting something like "eBay item# 8215485251" would have gotten the point
across well enough, I think. I imagine that most folks would figure out how to
search eBay for the item number.

But it does take longer to find it.

the biggest disadvantage to tinyurl and such is that the links they
generate do eventually expire, while the usenet post containing it
doesn't. so the person who comes along in the sometime future can't
know what it was that was being linked to.

but in the case of ebay auctions, heck, they expire too. so it 'aint
no big deal to tinyurl a link to an ebay auction.

but in general, anything that will be useful to someone else later
should prolly not be tinyurled.

and for most newsreaders, you can beat wordwrap by putting the link
inside of a pair of . sort of like
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=2758888&linkID=2475161

I think you owe me an apology, and a broader perspective on life. Even if I
*had* something to gain from using TinyURL

C'mon Jason, get with it. One of the hallmarks of this group is to
kick the crap out of someone for no real reason or about something you
don't understand.

I appreciate that you took the time to make a shorter link

(sorry no pun intended) so that I didn't have to move my lazy ass one
bit to sign onto EBAY and look it up. Click... I was there. No
signing onto EBAY, no copying the number an pasting it into the search
field... click... I was there.

And as pointed out since EBAY auctions actually do expire and disappear
as well as all the pertinent information. I thought your post was
interesting food for thought, and an interesting look, but not too sure
of its value as an archive. Since you posted the url, were you
thinking it should or should not be archived for us? If you are
thinking it should be maintained for posterity, please refrain from
referencing any subject that could expire.
Especially any item that is for sale.

That should preclude you from alerting anyone that item "X" is for sale
at Woodcraft, Rockler, Hartville, Tool King, Menard's, etc., as their
products will change and their sales will most certainly expire as
well. What would that do to our children if they found an expired
reference or dead link on the internet?

In the future, please confine your trouble making remarks and posting
techniques to safe topics we can all whine and bitch about together
like Home Depot, brad nails, etc. You could get 150 posts easily if
you can find a way to combine those two, and you will find that you
will never be criticized for posting the ever popular bashing topics.

Robert

BillyBob

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

What's out of line about a bid? Many items at auction bring far more
than they would on the open market--that's one reason people use
auctions.

don't be so pedantic. You know what I meant - out of line with established
retail prices. That was the OP's point - someone was bidding ignorantly.
But that's ebay - very much exemplifies the quote "a sucker born every
minute".

Bob

BillyBob

wrote in message
oups.com...

In the future, please confine your trouble making remarks and posting
techniques to safe topics we can all whine and bitch about together
like Home Depot, brad nails, etc. You could get 150 posts easily if
you can find a way to combine those two, and you will find that you
will never be criticized for posting the ever popular bashing topics.

Love it! flamestarters:

What guage wire should I run to my new shop and do I have to have a
separate ground?
What's your favorite cordless drill?
What's the best router?
I was gutted by a kickback yesterday. What caused it?
You won't believe the sale they are having at harbor freight!
The dealer said I should run grounding wire on my new dust collection
system. Do I really need this?

Bob

Doug Miller

In article et, "BillyBob" wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

What's out of line about a bid? Many items at auction bring far more
than they would on the open market--that's one reason people use
auctions.

don't be so pedantic. You know what I meant - out of line with established
retail prices. That was the OP's point - someone was bidding ignorantly.
But that's ebay - very much exemplifies the quote "a sucker born every
minute".

I just wish some of them would show up to bid when I'm trying to *sell*
something. :-(

--
Regards,

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 20:46:10 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:
In article et, "BillyBob" wrote:

don't be so pedantic. You know what I meant - out of line with established
retail prices. That was the OP's point - someone was bidding ignorantly.
But that's ebay - very much exemplifies the quote "a sucker born every
minute".

I just wish some of them would show up to bid when I'm trying to *sell*
something. :-(

OK, but how the heck can you sell _lumber_ on eBay? I can't imagine the
shipping nightmares involved in anything other than local pickup. How?
Duane Bozarth

Dave Hinz wrote:

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 20:46:10 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:
In article et, "BillyBob" wrote:

don't be so pedantic. You know what I meant - out of line with established
retail prices. That was the OP's point - someone was bidding ignorantly.
But that's ebay - very much exemplifies the quote "a sucker born every
minute".

I just wish some of them would show up to bid when I'm trying to *sell*
something. :-(

OK, but how the heck can you sell _lumber_ on eBay? I can't imagine the
shipping nightmares involved in anything other than local pickup. How?

UPS takes almost anything as long as it's in the overall dimensions.
I've seen a lot of small, specialty woods, etc., that wouldn't be hard
to ship, very little "_lumber_", at least by individuals.

Some folks, particularly on the wholesale side auctions, put things up
where all shipping is responsibility of purchaser. All the seller does
is make it available for pickup by the shipper.

I bought a 40-ft JLG boom-lift that way. The broker put me in touch w/
a trucking outfit he used and they got it from Chicago area to SW KS for
$800. Weighs 15,000 lb.
Mike Berger

The biggest disadvantage is that you don't know what you're clicking
on. I wouldn't click on a random link that a stranger sent via
e-mail. Why would I do it in a newsgroup?

If I can clearly see the link goes to Ebay, no matter how cumbersome,
it gives me enough information to decide whether or not I want to
see it. If it's to an anonymous site, I won't take the chance.

s wrote:

the biggest disadvantage to tinyurl and such is that the links they
generate do eventually expire, while the usenet post containing it
doesn't. so the person who comes along in the sometime future can't
know what it was that was being linked to.
=

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 09:50:11 -0500, Duane Bozarth wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

OK, but how the heck can you sell _lumber_ on eBay? I can't imagine the
shipping nightmares involved in anything other than local pickup. How?

UPS takes almost anything as long as it's in the overall dimensions.
I've seen a lot of small, specialty woods, etc., that wouldn't be hard
to ship, very little "_lumber_", at least by individuals.

Gotcha.

Some folks, particularly on the wholesale side auctions, put things up
where all shipping is responsibility of purchaser. All the seller does
is make it available for pickup by the shipper.

You'd have to do some sort of "If you don't get it out of here in a
month, I'm going to keep the money _and_ the merchandise" though,
wouldn't you? Otherwise you're just being someone else's warehouse?

Come to think of it, I have a nice several ton boulder that someone gave
me 50 bucks for and was going to pick up "as soon as I can". It's been
there about 3 years now, sold, but here.

I bought a 40-ft JLG boom-lift that way. The broker put me in touch w/
a trucking outfit he used and they got it from Chicago area to SW KS for
$800. Weighs 15,000 lb.

That's not bad, at all.

Duane Bozarth

Dave Hinz wrote:

You'd have to do some sort of "If you don't get it out of here in a
month, I'm going to keep the money _and_ the merchandise" though,
wouldn't you? Otherwise you're just being someone else's warehouse?

Sure, that's a pretty standard condition on such sales. The magnitude
of the problem is normally pretty much inverse to the value of the
object and directly in proportion to the difficulty in shipping.

Come to think of it, I have a nice several ton boulder that someone gave
me 50 bucks for and was going to pick up "as soon as I can". It's been
there about 3 years now, sold, but here.

Yep, as I noted above...

After Dad had the farm retirement auction there were several items which
were never picked up. A set of drills were eventually sold a second
time. A neighbor bout a 5000-bu Butler grain that's still here about 10
yrs later (and counting). Of course, w/ this particular neighbor, we
were all chuckling at the time, knowing the probability of the move
ever taking place.

I bought a 40-ft JLG boom-lift that way. The broker put me in touch w/
a trucking outfit he used and they got it from Chicago area to SW KS for
$800. Weighs 15,000 lb.

That's not bad, at all.

Particularly since there was an agreed on $600 allowance in the bid
price and the broker agreed to pick up the difference if over that.
And, the actual lift bid price was about $5k and it has functioned very
well for the four years I've had it so far...needed a head gasket when I
got it but w/ those little Wisconsin air-cooled engines that is a
trivial repair at moderate cost.
Dave Hinz

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 10:35:45 -0500, Mike Berger wrote:
The biggest disadvantage is that you don't know what you're clicking
on. I wouldn't click on a random link that a stranger sent via
e-mail. Why would I do it in a newsgroup?

Yup. Given that one of the stated purposes of TinyURLs and the like is
to intentionally obfuscate the actual destination, I won't click on one
from someone I don't know and trust. Not that my systems would be
impressed by viruses or similar, because I don't "do windows", but it's
a case of a good idea, once again, being contaminated by people who
misuse technology. Popups used to be useful, legitimate web objects.
Now, with rare exceptions, they're just for ads or worse. TinyURL might
have been a good idea, but enough people are wrecking it for the honest
users that it's not worth using, in my opinion.

If I can clearly see the link goes to Ebay, no matter how cumbersome,
it gives me enough information to decide whether or not I want to
see it. If it's to an anonymous site, I won't take the chance.

Same here. Just not worth the bother. I mean - copy/paste isn't _that_
tough, and word wrap is one of those things that nearly everyone learns
how to deal with at some point in their online dealings.

Bruce Barnett

Dave Hinz writes:

OK, but how the heck can you sell _lumber_ on eBay? I can't imagine the
shipping nightmares involved in anything other than local pickup. How?

If you think THAT's hard to ship, what about the town they sold on
eBay?