Fred

Default Titanium Forstner drill bits doesn't drill

I purchased a new set of Costco Mastergrip Titanium Forstner bits sizes form
1/4" to 2 1/8". This set looks very nice until I pullout a small 3/8" bit,
put it in my hand drill and proceeded to drill. I need to go through a
laminate flooring (about 1/4" thick) and 1/2" particle board below it. After
one minute I just got through the top skin of the laminate then it won't go
beyond the particle board. I put all my 180 pounds on the drill and nothing.
I then took out my high speed twist bit and drill through like butter and
then rim out with the Forstner. The Titanium on the cutting surface is gone
from the friction. I've drilled through laminates with my hole saw before
without any problems. I had other Fostner bits, not Mastergrip, on the drill
press and its slow going but it does the job. Tell me Forstner bits are not
efficient but not like this.

Upscale

"Fred" wrote in message news:F-KdnRIY2eIOYYreRVn-
beyond the particle board. I put all my 180 pounds on the drill and

nothing.
I then took out my high speed twist bit and drill through like butter and
then rim out with the Forstner. The Titanium on the cutting surface is

gone
from the friction. I've drilled through laminates with my hole saw before
without any problems. I had other Fostner bits, not Mastergrip, on the

drill
press and its slow going but it does the job. Tell me Forstner bits are

not
efficient but not like this.

Last time I had a problem like that was when I was drilling where I couldn't
see exactly where the drill bit was hitting. Turned out that the drill was
in reverse. Of course, it too me a few hours to realize it after trying
different drills and buying a new bit.

Charlie Self

Fred wrote:
I purchased a new set of Costco Mastergrip Titanium Forstner bits sizes form
1/4" to 2 1/8". This set looks very nice until I pullout a small 3/8" bit,
put it in my hand drill and proceeded to drill. I need to go through a
laminate flooring (about 1/4" thick) and 1/2" particle board below it. After
one minute I just got through the top skin of the laminate then it won't go
beyond the particle board. I put all my 180 pounds on the drill and nothing.
I then took out my high speed twist bit and drill through like butter and
then rim out with the Forstner. The Titanium on the cutting surface is gone
from the friction. I've drilled through laminates with my hole saw before
without any problems. I had other Fostner bits, not Mastergrip, on the drill
press and its slow going but it does the job. Tell me Forstner bits are not
efficient but not like this.

Forstner bits are slow, but not like that. It sounds like you got some
super-low quality bits. Did you try other sizes elsewhere to see how
they worked? That said, I don't understand why you're trying to use a
bit designed to cut a super clean edged flat bottomed hole in a home
construction situation. A twist bit should make a clean enough hole
here. I'd take those Forstner bits back.

foggytown

You did take the little protective plastic cap off the head, right?
(I've done it!) I think it's a trip back to Costco to drop the whole
set on their toes.

FoggyTown

Robatoy

In article ,
"Fred" wrote:

I purchased a new set of Costco Mastergrip Titanium Forstner bits sizes form
1/4" to 2 1/8". This set looks very nice until I pullout a small 3/8" bit,
put it in my hand drill and proceeded to drill. I need to go through a
laminate flooring (about 1/4" thick) and 1/2" particle board below it. After
one minute I just got through the top skin of the laminate then it won't go
beyond the particle board. I put all my 180 pounds on the drill and nothing.
I then took out my high speed twist bit and drill through like butter and
then rim out with the Forstner. The Titanium on the cutting surface is gone
from the friction. I've drilled through laminates with my hole saw before
without any problems. I had other Fostner bits, not Mastergrip, on the drill
press and its slow going but it does the job. Tell me Forstner bits are not
efficient but not like this.

Forstner bit in a hand drill?

The compound on the first layer of quality laminate flooring is
unbelievably hard. Your forstner bit was not match. NO forstner bits ,
unless carbide, will work there. Sometimes a small ring will form under
the bit when it finally cuts through the phenolic (second layer) and all
you get after that is smoke.
That's job for sharp carbide. Forstners work better in regular wood,
rather than new-fangled tough stuff.

Toller

I bought a set of Homier forstners. About half of them might as well might
as well be smooth for all the drilling they do. Some of the others are
okay.
It is a case of getting what I paid for. Yours probably is also. Sorry,
but this is how we learn not to buy junk.

Fred wrote:
I purchased a new set of Costco...

^^^^^^

Doh!

Fred

Thanks for all the responses.

My hand drill was not in reverse, I'm sure of that but I could be wrong.

No it didn't come with a protective cap.

I could have used a twist bit but I like to have a smooth hole since it will
be exposed for viewing. I don't think I'll do this again with the Forstner
bit.

Laminate is tough about 40x harder than hardwood but its a thin very layer
and I though I could cut through it like my hole saw. Not!

Doh for Costco? Actually Costco has some good tools like Porter Cable,
Hitachi, Makita and Milwaukee. They also have not so good tools like B&D,
Skil and now you could add Mastergrip to that list.

Ok, this morning I use a larger size bid (1") on the drill press on wood and
it drilled ok. I put the same bit that was on the hand drill yesterday to
the drill press and it drilled ok too on laminate although its I had to put
more pressure on the handle than with the 1" bid on wood. I also use the
next size up, 3/8", on laminate and it also required more force than on
wood.

The bid used on wood has no visible ware sign on the Titanium but the new
drill bit used on laminate, the Titanium coating on the leading edges were
gone. I'll use this set on wood only - lesson learned.

Duane Bozarth

Fred wrote:

Doh for Costco? Actually Costco has some good tools like Porter Cable,
Hitachi, Makita and Milwaukee. They also have not so good tools like B&D,
Skil and now you could add Mastergrip to that list.

Skil make the best circular saw on the market, bar none...

"Mastergrip"???? Obviously cheap (almost certainly Chinese) import
stuff...

The set was what, a couple dollars/bit, no doubt at most? Don't see how
you could possibly think you had anything but throw-aways...

Fred

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Fred wrote:

Doh for Costco? Actually Costco has some good tools like Porter Cable,
Hitachi, Makita and Milwaukee. They also have not so good tools like B&D,
Skil and now you could add Mastergrip to that list.

Skil make the best circular saw on the market, bar none...

I have two wormdrives, one B&D and the other Skil Mag 77, they are both
great powerful saws and looked identical. But almost everything made by them
is second rate and even at times pure junk and I get the better Chinese
power tools first over B&d, Skil and Craftman.

"Mastergrip"???? Obviously cheap (almost certainly Chinese) import
stuff...

The set was what, a couple dollars/bit, no doubt at most? Don't see how
you could possibly think you had anything but throw-aways...

Not all cheap tools are of low quality and beside this is a spare set I keep
over at a different location. It cuts wood ok but not laminate. I have a
more expensive American made Forstner that has gotten dull, not easy to
sharp, so it becomes a throw away before the Mastergrip.

George E. Cawthon

Fred wrote:
I purchased a new set of Costco Mastergrip Titanium Forstner bits sizes form
1/4" to 2 1/8". This set looks very nice until I pullout a small 3/8" bit,
put it in my hand drill and proceeded to drill. I need to go through a
laminate flooring (about 1/4" thick) and 1/2" particle board below it. After
one minute I just got through the top skin of the laminate then it won't go
beyond the particle board. I put all my 180 pounds on the drill and nothing.
I then took out my high speed twist bit and drill through like butter and
then rim out with the Forstner. The Titanium on the cutting surface is gone
from the friction. I've drilled through laminates with my hole saw before
without any problems. I had other Fostner bits, not Mastergrip, on the drill
press and its slow going but it does the job. Tell me Forstner bits are not
efficient but not like this.

I think it is operator error--the drill is running
in reverse. Even a nail will drill faster than
that. But if it is truly a bad bit, no problem
just take the set back to Costco for a refund.
George E. Cawthon

Fred wrote:
[...]

Being a natural born skeptic, I thought I was on
to a hoax here. So I went out to the shop (garage)
put a 3/8" Forstner bit from HD in the drill press
and picked up a piece of laminate that was remnant
from the flooring job I had done earlier this year.

Results-- drilled right through with a perfect
hole. Not wanting to stick my foot too far in my
mouth, I took the bit out and put it in my trusty
old Sears 3/8" drill. It didn't want to bite in,
so I pushed really hard and it started through but
it was still slow all the way through and I weaved
a bit to get it through. As a result the hole
wasn't round, but it took less than 1 minute also.

So, I', with you Fred. The bits are ok with a
drill press but are lousy for laminate with a hand
(portable) drill.

Fred

So what brand of expensive Forstner bits you use on hard materials like
*laminate* flooring with a hand drill? No argument with you just wanted to
test out brands other people use.

BTW already did some drilling with a hand drill on a *wood* door yesterday
and no problems with it and the Titanium plating was still intact.

wrote in message
Cheap junk bits with 2cents worth of Titanium nitride plating

It is not a problem with Forstner bits, but just the junk bits you
bought at CostCo

John

Duane Bozarth

Fred wrote:

So what brand of expensive Forstner bits you use on hard materials like
*laminate* flooring with a hand drill? No argument with you just wanted to
test out brands other people use.

I don't think I'd pick a Forstner for the application at all, unless it
were toothed. And certainly I'd not waste a very expensive one that
way.

Upscale

"Fred" wrote in message
So what brand of expensive Forstner bits you use on hard materials like
*laminate* flooring with a hand drill? No argument with you just wanted to
test out brands other people use.

You're pretty consistent with the using of a "had drill" for your use of a
Forstner bit. I think most would agree that Forstner bits work much better
in a power drill. Can you not get your hands on one?

Duane Bozarth

Upscale wrote:

"Fred" wrote in message
So what brand of expensive Forstner bits you use on hard materials like
*laminate* flooring with a hand drill? No argument with you just wanted to
test out brands other people use.

You're pretty consistent with the using of a "had drill" for your use of a
Forstner bit. I think most would agree that Forstner bits work much better
in a power drill. Can you not get your hands on one?

If I recall it wasn't a hand drill in the sense of a brace and bit or
such but what he's used a term...

I think it's mostly a case of a very hard man-made material and a not
very good bit and really not the most suitable choice. A spur would
probably have helped.
Fred

Upscale wrote:

"Fred" wrote in message
So what brand of expensive Forstner bits you use on hard materials like
*laminate* flooring with a hand drill? No argument with you just wanted
test out brands other people use.

You're pretty consistent with the using of a "had drill" for your use of
Forstner bit. I think most would agree that Forstner bits work much
better
in a power drill. Can you not get your hands on one?

If I recall it wasn't a hand drill in the sense of a brace and bit or
such but what he's used a term...

I think it's mostly a case of a very hard man-made material and a not
very good bit and really not the most suitable choice. A spur would
probably have helped.

Oh, I mean battery operated drill as opposed to a drill press. I have not
used a brace and bit set since high school during the Dark Ages.

Steve knight

Forstner bits are slow, but not like that. It sounds like you got some
super-low quality bits. Did you try other sizes elsewhere to see how
they worked? That said, I don't understand why you're trying to use a
bit designed to cut a super clean edged flat bottomed hole in a home
construction situation. A twist bit should make a clean enough hole
here. I'd take those Forstner bits back.

plus smaller ones like the 3/8 can plug up pretty easily and not drill
well.
Knight-Toolworks
http://www.knight-toolworks.com
affordable handmade wooden planes