J.C.

Default From another ng

The mayor of New Orleans just called out for help! Take any boat you
have esp flat bottom boats to New Orleans now and use FRS and CB radios
to communicate. THERE IS NO CELL PHONE POWER! Do not rely on your
cell phones. Take all the gasoline, food and water you can. There
is a Sam Club in New Orleans where everyone is meeting with their
boats, although that is not required. Remember that the water is
rising and many are trapped in their homes in the attacks and are
unable to cut a hole in the roof to stand on it , so they will die if
the water rises high enough. There is no electricity whatsoever, so
latens, stoves and batteries are all youll be able to use.

HURRY!

Note: maybe battery operated reciprocating saws????

Doug Miller

In article , "J.C." wrote:
The mayor of New Orleans just called out for help! Take any boat you
have esp flat bottom boats to New Orleans now and use FRS and CB radios
to communicate. THERE IS NO CELL PHONE POWER! Do not rely on your
cell phones. Take all the gasoline, food and water you can. There
is a Sam Club in New Orleans where everyone is meeting with their
boats, although that is not required. Remember that the water is
rising and many are trapped in their homes in the attacks and are
unable to cut a hole in the roof to stand on it , so they will die if
the water rises high enough. There is no electricity whatsoever, so
latens, stoves and batteries are all youll be able to use.

HURRY!

Note: maybe battery operated reciprocating saws????

How do you plan to recharge the batteries when they run down?

Don't need to recharge batteries on an axe...

--
Regards,

J.C.

"Guess who" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 19:13:38 GMT, "J.C." wrote:

The mayor of New Orleans just called out for help! Take any boat you
have esp flat bottom boats to New Orleans now and use FRS and CB radios
to communicate. THERE IS NO CELL PHONE POWER! Do not rely on your
cell phones. Take all the gasoline, food and water you can. There
is a Sam Club in New Orleans where everyone is meeting with their
boats, although that is not required.

Yes it is. If you sincerely want to help, contact the authorities
first, and they'll tell you how. However, do have something in mind
to offer so you are not wasting their time. This guy is not one of
the authorities [in case you hadn't guessed], and what they don't want
is a mass of people clogging up their organised efforts. They'll put
out the request, and it won't be through newsgroups.

I think the fellow meant that bringing a boat was not required. I heard the
announcement on the news and the part about bringing a boat was a little
confusing. Maybe the original poster was confused as well. What it meant to
me was that if you were bringing a boat, meet at that Sams. The other places
to meet, as I understood it, was the various Red Cross and Salvation Army
stations.

And, I don't see any harm in the fellow posting it on newsgroups.
--
J.C.

CW

That just couldn't be. People have been telling hams for years now that they
are no longer needed as cell phones have made them obsolete.
CW
KC7NOD
"J.C." wrote in message
THERE IS NO CELL PHONE POWER! Do not rely on your
cell phones.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Guess who" wrote in message

I do if it's not true. Also, for your information cell phones work
from batteries and through satellite.

When did that happen? Are they going to tear down all the cell phone
antennas that have been built in the past 15 years? I'd better tell the
guy erecting one 100 feet from where I work to stop it as the satellites are
taking over.

Unless you have power for a charger, those cell phone batteries will die in
a couple of days.

Bruce T

I'd kind of like to see what kind of battery you'd need in that cell phone
to boost that signal from that itty-bitty antenna all the way to a
geosynchronous satellite.
BruceT

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

"Guess who" wrote in message

I do if it's not true. Also, for your information cell phones work
from batteries and through satellite.

When did that happen? Are they going to tear down all the cell phone
antennas that have been built in the past 15 years? I'd better tell the
guy erecting one 100 feet from where I work to stop it as the satellites
are taking over.

Unless you have power for a charger, those cell phone batteries will die
in a couple of days.

CW

There are two major problems with cell phones in situations such as this.
The cell sites need power same as anything else. Cut the power and you're
down. There are also far more cell phones out there than there is service.
In most any emergency situation, the service is jammed to the point of being
useless. As for cell phones and satellites, ha, ha,ha...

"Guess who" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:05:45 GMT, "J.C." wrote:

And, I don't see any harm in the fellow posting it on newsgroups.

I do if it's not true. Also, for your information cell phones work
from batteries and through satellite. My sister in law found it
useful,and called us when they went through their last couple of
hurricanes.

Battleax

"Guess who" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:05:45 GMT, "J.C." wrote:

And, I don't see any harm in the fellow posting it on newsgroups.

I do if it's not true. Also, for your information cell phones work
from batteries and through satellite. My sister in law found it
useful,and called us when they went through their last couple of
hurricanes.

No, cells work through tower antennas. Expensive satellite phones work
through satellites.

Mark & Juanita

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 23:52:22 -0500, "Battleax"
wrote:

No problem, the Iridium system consists of 65 low orbit satellites. The
phones are down to around $400 and you can call home from anywhere you can
see sky.

IIRC, for about $1 per minute. So, as the pundit says, "keep it pithy"

"Guess who" wrote in message

I do if it's not true. Also, for your information cell phones work
from batteries and through satellite.

Better check into that sport. There's a reason for all those cell phone
towers around your town.

When did that happen? Are they going to tear down all the cell phone
antennas that have been built in the past 15 years? I'd better tell

the
guy erecting one 100 feet from where I work to stop it as the satellites
are taking over.

Unless you have power for a charger, those cell phone batteries will die
in a couple of days.

LRod

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 02:25:53 GMT, "CW" wrote:

That just couldn't be. People have been telling hams for years now that they
are no longer needed as cell phones have made them obsolete.
CW
KC7NOD
"J.C." wrote in message
.. .
THERE IS NO CELL PHONE POWER! Do not rely on your
cell phones.

A couple of hams are going to be a lot more help there than a couple
of dozen Bubbas in bass boats.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

LRod

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 08:14:20 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"LRod" wrote in message

A couple of hams are going to be a lot more help there than a couple
of dozen Bubbas in bass boats.

How is that? A lot of folks have been thankful for "Bubbas" in bass boats".
Historically in floods, shallow draft boats can save a ton of folks from
rooftops, trees, and attics.

Emphasis on Bubbas, not bass boats.

In emergency situations there is almost as much difficulty managing
willing but untrained or ill equipped volunteers as there is managing
the crisis in the first place.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Swingman

"LRod" wrote in message

A couple of hams are going to be a lot more help there than a couple
of dozen Bubbas in bass boats.

How is that? A lot of folks have been thankful for "Bubbas" in bass boats".
Historically in floods, shallow draft boats can save a ton of folks from
rooftops, trees, and attics.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/05

B a r r y

LRod wrote:

A couple of hams are going to be a lot more help there than a couple
of dozen Bubbas in bass boats.

Are the Bubba's armed? G

Duane Bozarth

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Guess who" wrote in message

I do if it's not true. Also, for your information cell phones work
from batteries and through satellite.

When did that happen? Are they going to tear down all the cell phone
antennas that have been built in the past 15 years? I'd better tell the
guy erecting one 100 feet from where I work to stop it as the satellites are
taking over.

Unless you have power for a charger, those cell phone batteries will die in
a couple of days.

I also suspect that most towers don't have any power, either, at this
point.
Lawrence Wasserman

In article ,
J.C. wrote:
The mayor of New Orleans just called out for help! Take any boat you
have esp flat bottom boats to New Orleans now and use FRS and CB radios
to communicate. THERE IS NO CELL PHONE POWER! Do not rely on your
cell phones. Take all the gasoline, food and water you can. There
is a Sam Club in New Orleans where everyone is meeting with their
boats, although that is not required. Remember that the water is
rising and many are trapped in their homes in the attacks and are
unable to cut a hole in the roof to stand on it , so they will die if
the water rises high enough. There is no electricity whatsoever, so
latens, stoves and batteries are all youll be able to use.

HURRY!

Note: maybe battery operated reciprocating saws????

Funny, in all the news reports I heard local officials were advising
people to STAY AWAY!

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Swingman

"LRod" wrote in message

A couple of hams are going to be a lot more help there than a couple
of dozen Bubbas in bass boats.

How is that? A lot of folks have been thankful for "Bubbas" in bass

boats".
Historically in floods, shallow draft boats can save a ton of folks from
rooftops, trees, and attics.

Emphasis on Bubbas, not bass boats.

In emergency situations there is almost as much difficulty managing
willing but untrained or ill equipped volunteers as there is managing
the crisis in the first place.

IMO, that's a load of condescending horse****. Oddly enough, the authorities
were asking for just such action from "Bubba's in bass boats" ... their
regard is obviously higher than yours, but still probably not as high as the
rescued, who could care less as long as they are.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/05

LRod

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:00:21 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

In emergency situations there is almost as much difficulty managing
willing but untrained or ill equipped volunteers as there is managing
the crisis in the first place.

IMO, that's a load of condescending horse****. Oddly enough, the authorities
were asking for just such action from "Bubba's in bass boats" ... their
regard is obviously higher than yours, but still probably not as high as the
rescued, who could care less as long as they are.

You don't know much about emergency management, do you?

Here are some excerpts of information from another newsgroup (amateur
radio, the first line of communications in nearly all major disasters)
Pay close attention to the quotes from officials. Start with Sentence
Two:

The on-the-ground situation in SE Louisiana and SW Mississippi is as
bad as television is reporting. Neither state is permitting disaster
relief agencies into the affected areas except on a very limited basis
and only then where conditions are stable. Nearly everyone is still
staging as close by as possible and waiting.

The Louisiana SM (Section Manager, an amateur radion organizational
area manager) (Mickey Cox K5MC) and SEC (Section Emergency
Coordinater-almost always works hand-in-glove with local Emergency
Operations Centers which are usually official city-wide or county-wide
agencies) (Gary Stratton K5GLS) are in communications with state
officials, who have directed them to NOT advertise for volunteers.
Some volunteers have been requested, and these are being staged at the
state EOC.

The situation for the Mississippi SM and SEC, Malcolm Keown W5XX, in
Vicksburg MS is very uncertain. His station is completely on the
ground and EchoLink repeaters in the area are off-the-air. Attempts
to contact Assistant SMs have been unsuccessful.

An AB2M.net Amateur Radio operator registration web site has been
setup and is ready to go public when approval is received. Some
Amateur Radio operators are known to be traveling towards the affected
areas with emergency services and disaster relief agencies as
dedicated communications resources.

Despite everyone's nearly overwhelming desire to help, about all we
can do right now is to make preparations for a prompt response when
the officials finally give their approval. None of us know when that
will occur.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Swingman

"LRod" wrote in message

You don't know much about emergency management, do you?

Being from SE Louisiana, having gone through numerous hurricanes and floods
of catastrophic proportions, losing a home myself to floodwaters, and
talking to relatives in the area as late as this morning, what I obviously
know a lot more about than you is that folks are continuing to help each
other where there are not enough "emergency managers" to go around, despite
what you may hear from the talking heads. politicians, and FEMA bureaucrats
on TV, which is where you are obviously getting your information.

Lord help anyone who subscribes to your "don't try this, we're the
professionals", attitude in the face of emergencies. These folks, especially
the ones outside the view of the TV cameras, are resourceful and there are
damn few "bubbas" in the part of the country, and NONE in an emergency of
this proportion.

So basically LRod, stick your condescension about "crackers" and "bubbas"
where the sun doesn't shine.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/05

Swingman

"LRod" wrote in message

Swingman seems to have different inside information,

Well, you got something right ... plenty of relatives in the middle of it
right now.

but you are
correct--in a massive disaster such as this, they need to get a lot of
ducks lined up before they can start making use of volunteer help, and
that takes time. The last thing they need in there now are a lot of
good intentioned people who don't know diddly about emergency
operations.

Again, you're full of hore**** for the most part, LRod.

Many in the area, particularly between NO and Venice, including two of my
first cousins with air-boats, and their sons with bass boats, have been
working around the clock plucking folks from the floodwaters, and their
participation has certainly never been questioned by anyone trying to "get a
lot of ducks lined up before they can start making use of volunteer help".

If you knew the folks in that part of the country, many who don't even speak
English, you would realize that you are so dead wrong in your assumptions
that it defies reason.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/05

LRod

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:57:17 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

Again, you're full of hore**** for the most part, LRod.

Many in the area, particularly between NO and Venice, including two of my
first cousins with air-boats, and their sons with bass boats, have been
working around the clock plucking folks from the floodwaters, and their
participation has certainly never been questioned by anyone trying to "get a
lot of ducks lined up before they can start making use of volunteer help".

If you knew the folks in that part of the country, many who don't even speak
English, you would realize that you are so dead wrong in your assumptions
that it defies reason.

You can stick your condescension, too, scooter. There is a whole lot
of difference between people in the field getting to work with what's
at hand and bringing (or not) people in from the outside. You still
don't know squat about emergency management, and it shows.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

LRod

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:12:02 -0700, Guess who
wrote:

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:20:49 +0100, LRod wrote:

You don't know much about emergency management, do you?

Don't waste your breath. He knows all about everything. I was going
to post the same response as you did, but knew he'd chirp in there
with his rubbish.

Look here for a report:
http://premium.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/29/new.orleans/

... incuding this:
"The governor said she had ordered state police to block re-entry
routes to all but emergency workers."

Thanks. I've only had training in emergency management and practices
for a little over 40 years, and personal experience with hurricanes
for nearly 25; I was involved with the Plainfield tornado and the
Aurora flood; so I can see where someone might mistake me for a
know-nothing.

And, I can drive in snow...

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Swingman

"LRod" wrote in message

You can stick your condescension, too, scooter. There is a whole lot
of difference between people in the field getting to work with what's
at hand and bringing (or not) people in from the outside. You still
don't know squat about emergency management, and it shows.

Look again, "Bubba", my original response was clearly, and solely to your:

A couple of hams are going to be a lot more help there than a couple
of dozen Bubbas in bass boats.

.... and said nothing about "people in from the outside". As I CLEARLY stated
repeatedly, this is about folks helping each other, folks already there, and
on the ground, using whatever is at hand to rescue folks who may not make it
if they waited for the "emergency managers to get to them.

surely you can't be that dense?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/05

Guess who

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:20:49 +0100, LRod wrote:

You don't know much about emergency management, do you?

Don't waste your breath. He knows all about everything. I was going
to post the same response as you did, but knew he'd chirp in there
with his rubbish.

Look here for a report:
http://premium.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/29/new.orleans/

.... incuding this:
"The governor said she had ordered state police to block re-entry
routes to all but emergency workers."

....and tell me a few hundred people dragging boats and motor homes
[they have to stay somewhere] around wouldn't get in the way.

If people want to send food, don't take it, find out what is needed
and where to send it to the people who are able to distribute it as
necessary. There is far more harm than good done by willing people
thrashing around and getting in the way of the real resuers. If he
wants to be a hero he should be there now, having gone first to the
proper authorities to ask them, instead of jumping when someone snaps
their fingers in a newsgroup as if its the right thing to do. It's
not. I know people smothered in lime-dust as others stomped around
their old farm-house trying to rescue them after it had been flattened
as they hid in the basement.

If anyone wants to go there with a boat, clogging up highways and
motels even more, then do so under the direction of people who know
what they are doing, so as to not get in their way. Don't just barge
in like an idiot, well-intentioned, but still an idiot. People should
be sure they have something to offer to not waste their time clogging
up phone lines. If they want your help they are asking elsewhere, not
here. People should go there, and act responsibly.

Guess who

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:48:04 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

Lord help anyone who subscribes to your "don't try this, we're the
professionals", attitude in the face of emergencies.

You are clearly not one of those, so keep your unprofessional opinions
to yourself. Those better prepared will undoubtedly make some
mistakes, but there'll be a Hell of a lot fewer than those caused by a
bunch of cowboys running around as if they knew what they were doing.
If you do try to go there with a boat you'll be stopped on the
highway. You'll accomplish nothing but clogging up the roads and
motels for people who really need them.

My brother and I tried to get to New York for his daughters. We
couldn't get anywhere close as police blocked the highways. What do
you think would be different here? Damn. I asked for your opinion.
Well, you can give that for what it's worth. [ By the way, they got
out and arrived home in NJ before we did.]

CW

I can see this from both sides. Yes, the hams are good for organization and
communication but someone has to make use of this information. That's where
the boats come in. Both quite needed.

"Swingman" wrote in message
"LRod" wrote in message

A couple of hams are going to be a lot more help there than a couple
of dozen Bubbas in bass boats.

How is that? A lot of folks have been thankful for "Bubbas" in bass

boats".
Historically in floods, shallow draft boats can save a ton of folks from
rooftops, trees, and attics.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/05

Swingman

"CW" wrote in message
I can see this from both sides. Yes, the hams are good for organization

and
communication but someone has to make use of this information. That's

where
the boats come in. Both quite needed.

There's only one side ... saving lives. The news here tonight was full of
stories, and pictures, of folks being picked up off of roofs and second
floors by "someone who came by in a boat" ... IOW, quite a few folks are
alive/safe tonight because someone other than the "emergency managers" came
to the rescue.

As for the snide, derogatory "bubbas in bass boats" comments from the high
and mighty, who are also high and dry, that simply points to complete
ignorance of the marine nature of much of the populace outside the bigger
cities in SE Louisiana, where almost every house has a boat behind it, many
of them actually floating year around. To advocate not utilizing a resource
like that during _floods_ is criminal ... but then again, and from very
personal experience during a flood, not surprising.

After having lost my home in a flood four years ago, I remain to this day
totally unimpressed with "emergency management" types. AAMOF, if you've been
through that in the last ten years I can guarantee that you would recognize
some of the smug, superior-than-thou, know-it-all condescension exhibited
right here today that was noted and remarked upon after Allison in 2001 ...
where about as much "management" attitude as a Harvard MBA was exhibited,
but with barely the skills of a Home Depot manager-in-name-only.

Case in point as we speak: the looting and lawlessness going on right now
would have been foreseen by any "emergency management" leadership worthy of
the name and they are going to have to answer for it, you can bet on that.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/05

Bruce T

I checked into the IRIDIUM web site. After about 10 minutes, I still
couldn't find any information about costs. If they're not advertising
costs, my guess is that they're high enough to make one SIT DOWN and think
about it....

"Guess who" wrote in message

I do if it's not true. Also, for your information cell phones work
from batteries and through satellite.

When did that happen? Are they going to tear down all the cell phone
antennas that have been built in the past 15 years? I'd better tell

the
guy erecting one 100 feet from where I work to stop it as the
satellites
are taking over.

Unless you have power for a charger, those cell phone batteries will
die
in a couple of days.

Lee DeRaud

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 03:09:40 GMT, "CW" wrote:

It's becomming very clear that LRod has a better understanding of the
overall picture.

Well, unless we're running an election for "Chief Usenet Disaster
Preparedness ******", does it *matter*?

Lee
Lee DeRaud

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:51:36 -0700, Mark & Juanita
wrote:

Having watched this little tete e tete, my only thought is that all those
people sitting on the roofs of their homes waiting to be rescued before the
home collapses are going to be darned glad that the emergency managers
took the time to line up all the ducks and hold the volunteers before
actually sending someone out to *gasp* rescue them from those roofs.
They'd be real disappointed to be rescued sooner by rank amateurs with no
clear direction or guidance from above.

But they won't *really* know whether to be happy to be rescued or not
until the power comes back up and they can research it here on Usenet.

Lee
Swingman

"CW" wrote in message
It's becomming very clear that LRod has a better understanding of the
overall picture.

Not unless he's sitting on a roof top waiting to be rescued.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/05

Swingman

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

Having watched this little tete e tete, my only thought is that all

those
people sitting on the roofs of their homes waiting to be rescued before

the
home collapses are going to be darned glad that the emergency managers
took the time to line up all the ducks and hold the volunteers before
actually sending someone out to *gasp* rescue them from those roofs.
They'd be real disappointed to be rescued sooner by rank amateurs with no
clear direction or guidance from above.

Agreed. It looks to be coming down to a basic political philosophy ...
you're either the type to sit around waiting for guidance from the
all-knowing authorities/government to help you, or you help yourself, and
those around you, by taking action yourself. There is little doubt that it's
the former that's got us into much of the mess you see about you now,
aftermath of hurricanes and natural disasters inclusive.

I can tell you that I gained a new appreciation for that old saw about the
feared phrase "I'm from the government and I'm here to help" when it
happened to me.

.. and it would be politically incorrect to tell you what most down here
felt that the acronym "FEMA" really stood for after Allison in 2001. I still
get ****ed when I am forced to recall that experience.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/05

J.C.

wrote:

[...]

You guys should get some training in acting like grownups instead of using
everything you can to start a childish argument.

--
J.C.