J T

Default Anyone Here Ever Try this?

I've been trying to figure out some sort of machine to shake rattle
can spray paint. I've been able to figure out a few that would probably
work, but a bit more Rube Goldeberg than I would like.

However, even better, I think. A sabre saw, or Sawzall, to provide
the motion. Probably have to make a frame of some sort, attached to an
old blade, to hold a can in, possibly just with rubber bands - don't
want to make it too complicated.

Haven't tried this yet, but plan to. Possibly using a timer, so
can just set it to 2-3 minutes, and leave it. I can't think of any
reason something like this wouldn't work. Would sure beat shaking the
cans by hand.

Anyone here ever tried any thing like this? If so, how did it work
out? Good, bad, indifferent? People with tired arms want to know.

JOAT
Whoever said a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work never
had thier boat sink.
- Unknown

Dhakala

J T wrote:
I've been trying to figure out some sort of machine to shake rattle
can spray paint. I've been able to figure out a few that would probably
work, but a bit more Rube Goldeberg than I would like.

However, even better, I think. A sabre saw, or Sawzall, to provide
the motion. Probably have to make a frame of some sort, attached to an
old blade, to hold a can in, possibly just with rubber bands - don't
want to make it too complicated.

Haven't tried this yet, but plan to. Possibly using a timer, so
can just set it to 2-3 minutes, and leave it. I can't think of any
reason something like this wouldn't work. Would sure beat shaking the
cans by hand.

Here is "The Correct Way to Shake a Spray Paint Can."

http://www.woodzone.com/tips/shaking_spray_paint_cans.htm

Looks like you'll need an orbital motor of some kind. :-)

bridger

J T wrote:
I've been trying to figure out some sort of machine to shake rattle
can spray paint. I've been able to figure out a few that would probably
work, but a bit more Rube Goldeberg than I would like.

However, even better, I think. A sabre saw, or Sawzall, to provide
the motion. Probably have to make a frame of some sort, attached to an
old blade, to hold a can in, possibly just with rubber bands - don't
want to make it too complicated.

Haven't tried this yet, but plan to. Possibly using a timer, so
can just set it to 2-3 minutes, and leave it. I can't think of any
reason something like this wouldn't work. Would sure beat shaking the
cans by hand.

maybe modify a test tube shaker?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vortex-K-500-2-Test-Tube-Mixer-Lab-Shaker-2-in-one_W0QQitemZ7535951614QQcategoryZ26235QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

John B

J T wrote:
[...]

G'day JOAT,
Yep, I like you, got bloody sick and tired of shaking spray cans and
those little pots of paint. Had Ryobi Scroll saw sitting under the
bench, had updated. Taped the can to the top arm and turned her on. Had
to make a couple of saves with the first few cans as they decided they
would rather be somewhere else than getting the sh.t shook out of em.
More tape and away she went, did a great job.
and no tennis elbow.
All the best
John
Bob Martin

in 1225106 20050809 105537 John B wrote:
J T wrote:
[...]

How about taping it to an orbital sander?
Pop

You might have a marketable idea on your hands there!

I've had one of thos bed vibrators like they use in
motels around for years and never found a use for it:
Maybe you've found one for me.

Dunno why your idea wouldn't basically work; don't know
about rubber bands though. Need something that'll
clamp for quicker de/attachment.

Unless you're going to patent it, let us know what you
end up with g

Pop

"J T" wrote in message
[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

"J T" wrote in message
I can't think of any
reason something like this wouldn't work. Would sure beat shaking the
cans by hand.

How about one of those toys for women things? They vibrate and stroke back
and forth at the same time.

Rather than rubberband it, just get the lucky woman to hold it for a few
minutes.

Vic Baron

"J T" wrote in message
Anyone here ever tried any thing like this? If so, how did it work
out? Good, bad, indifferent? People with tired arms want to know.

1) Get a cat
2) Get a dog
3)strap can to cat
4)mix cat and dog in yard
5) retrieve shaken can
6)make pushstick from cat
7) save dog for next time

Robatoy

In article . com,
"Dhakala" wrote:

Looks like you'll need an orbital motor of some kind. :-)

Strap it to a Katherine Hepburn BobbleHead.
George E. Cawthon

J T wrote:
[...]

Two possibilities. One is the good old vibrator/
polisher. Heck you could even strap the can on a
back vibrator. But if you go with this type just
build a light frame holding a motor with an off
balance wheel that you can strap to the paint can.
Can be a very small motor. Hang the whole
thing by string from 3 points.

Second, you don't need to shake just rotate the
can. Use the principle of a rock tumbler. Two
parallel round bars closer than the width of the
can. Use a small motor that drives turns one of
the rods, other bar is an idler. Rotate the bar
so that the can turns about 40 times per minute.
You could even put a bump on the drive bar to
create a bit more agitation.
Buddy Matlosz

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article . com,
"Dhakala" wrote:

Looks like you'll need an orbital motor of some kind. :-)

Strap it to a Katherine Hepburn BobbleHead.

Isn't that redundant?

B.

Edwin Pawlowski

"J T" wrote in message

Gee Ed, don't know anything about anything like that. What exactly
are they, and how are they used?

http://sybian.com/aff/

Prometheus

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 00:16:14 -0400, (J T)
wrote:

I've been trying to figure out some sort of machine to shake rattle
can spray paint. I've been able to figure out a few that would probably
work, but a bit more Rube Goldeberg than I would like.

However, even better, I think. A sabre saw, or Sawzall, to provide
the motion. Probably have to make a frame of some sort, attached to an
old blade, to hold a can in, possibly just with rubber bands - don't
want to make it too complicated.

Haven't tried this yet, but plan to. Possibly using a timer, so
can just set it to 2-3 minutes, and leave it. I can't think of any
reason something like this wouldn't work. Would sure beat shaking the
cans by hand.

Anyone here ever tried any thing like this? If so, how did it work
out? Good, bad, indifferent? People with tired arms want to know.

Might be a good use for old motors that are laying around (from those
periodic dryer motor threads, for example). Figure a cam made out of
1/2 or 3/4 plywood with a little cage or tube riding on it would do
the job just as well. You could mount the cam to the motor (or pulley
attached to the motor) and plunk the can in something like a cardboard
tube or PVC pipe that is mounted over the cam, and it'd shake it
pretty well, I imagine. To clarify that just a little, the tube would
be stationary, and the bottom of the can would ride directly on the
cam.

Might be able to do it with an old blender, too, if you had a wedge,
and then cut it or turned into a circle so it'd fit where the blade
used to be. Then you've got a cage ready-made. Plunk the can in it,
and start it up. Might ruin the bearings, but I imagine you wouldn't
be using the good blender for something like this anyhow, so it's
worth a shot.

I don't know about the recip. saw- it'd probably work somewhat, but it
seems like one of those things that would end up being a whole lot
more trouble than it's worth. I can just see that as a good idea gone
terribly awry, especially if you've got a can of paint hooked to a
blade with a rubber band...

Personally, I'm fond of the blender idea. Seems like it'd be really
simple provided you've got a bandsaw or a lathe (or even a coping saw,
for that matter) and it could be done for a quarter or so if you like
going to thrift sales. Variable speed, contains the paint should
something go awry, and it'd give you a sort of random orbit. They've
even got little covers you can use to make sure the can doesn't come
flying out.

Mike Patterson

If you have plenty of warning before you'll need the paint, you can do
what I did.

I built a small 5-sided box that holds 4 cans side by side with a
small bar across the front to hold them in.

Ran a bolt through the back of the box sticking out about 2 inches.

Took an old barbeque rotissierie motor (6 rpm) and mounted it to the
wall.

Inserted bolt into chuck of rotisserie motor, load paint cans and turn
on. Come back in 30 minutes. (I just left it running while I prepped
the project I was working on.

I also ended up gluing small chunks of wood in between where the cans
go to hold them in place better and so I could load less than a full
load of 4 cans.

Works pretty well for free.

HTH
Mike

wrote:

[...]

Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin
Puckdropper

Tom Banes wrote in
:

Minor problem - on some cans the labels and marking are polished off,
so a week later you've got no idea what was in the spray can, but WTH.

Regards.

Tom

Permanent marker... Duct tape. Problem solved.

Puckdropper

--
www.uncreativelabs.net

still enjoy using the old computers. Sometimes we want to see how far a
particular system can go, other times we use a stock system to remind
ourselves of what we once had.

J T

Wed, Aug 10, 2005, 2:13am (EDT+4) (Edwin=A0Pawlowski) doth
posteth:
http://sybian.com/aff

Ah, one of those thingies. Why didn't you say so in the first
place? I ran across free plans for a homemade version long ago. I'd of
posted them, but couldn't figure out what it was for.

Can you tell me what some of the other plans I ran acoss are for?
They look kinda strange. Some of them are made from leater, so they
didn't pertain to woodworking anyway. But, there's plans for some wood
stuff too.