Layne

Like what Barry said. The XX (DMT color coded black) is rated at 220
mesh.

I have a folding red/green Duosharp for knives, scissors and stuff and
I really like it for a quick job on my crappy kitchen knives and it
puts a very good edge on my garden bypass pruners using the green
side.

Layne

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 06:18:52 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"Layne" wrote in message

Diamond stones are great, but to me they're expensive for flattening
plane irons and chisels, but are good for flattening waterstones. If
you do get a diamond stone get one with monochrystaline diamonds as
opposed to polychrystaline. The diamonds are uniform on mono and they
wear longer.

I would assume that a lower grit diamond would be what you want for
flattening waterstones? What grit would you recommend?

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 21:40:16 -0500, Australopithecus scobis
wrote:
I picked
up a 1"x3"x8" hard Arkansas at Woodcraft the other day, at 75% off. Have
to use it with water instead of oil to keep from fouling up the water
stones.

I use a drop of detergent on it after the arkansas stone is wetted
with water. it seems to keep the metal waste from packing down in the
pores of the stone.

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Swingman" wrote

Wonder how many folks remember the glass milk bottles with the cream bulb
in
the neck?

Or the friendly milkman coming by your house to deliver the milk?

When I was a kid, the county rebuilt the bridge by our house.
That bridge had a concrete abutment on either side of the creek
with two I-beams set in the concrete and a wooden (see, on-topic)
deck built on that. After the deck was removed, all that was
left spanning the creek were the I-beams.

Our milkman parked at the "Bridge Out" barricade and walked
accross on the I-beams to deliver the milk.

--

FF

Prometheus

On 13 Aug 2005 23:23:06 -0700, "bridger" wrote:

What kind of detergent, exactly? My hard Arkansas stones are getting
a little clogged.

the same stuff I use for washing dishes. I do most of my sharpening at
the sink anyway, so water and detergent are my default honing fluids.
sometimes if I'm in the shop sharpening, especially with a hard white
arkansas stone I'll use paint thinner, but most of the time even with
that stone I'll use water.

I'm still using the stuff that came with the stone, generically
labelled "honing oil". Figure 3-in-1 will work okay once that's gone
(I do all my sharpening on an utility bench under the pegboard, not at
the sink) I'll give the dishsoap and scotchbrite for cleaning a try,
though- the course and medium stones clean up pretty well with water
and a scrub brush, but the white one looks terrible and it wasn't
cheap enough that I want to give up on it!

AAvK

I'm still using the stuff that came with the stone, generically
labelled "honing oil". Figure 3-in-1 will work okay once that's gone
(I do all my sharpening on an utility bench under the pegboard, not at
the sink) I'll give the dishsoap and scotchbrite for cleaning a try,
though- the course and medium stones clean up pretty well with water
and a scrub brush, but the white one looks terrible and it wasn't
cheap enough that I want to give up on it!

Yeah... it is an 'oil' stone. I wouldn't use dish soap and water, just the scary
sharp scrub down I think is a better idea. I just bought a big beautiful soft
Arkansas, I will only use distilled water on it.

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Drill Bit Sharpening Tina Woodworking 43 March 20th 05 02:58 AM
Problems sharpening chisels Richard Sterry UK diy 57 May 12th 04 11:21 AM
Help with sharpening router / shaper bits... loutent Woodworking 5 April 15th 04 04:14 PM
Review: "Woodturning: Fundamentals of Sharpening" Terry Poperszky Woodturning 1 December 22nd 03 03:44 AM