bridger

Prometheus wrote:
On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:58:41 -0700, s wrote:

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 21:40:16 -0500, Australopithecus scobis
wrote:
I picked
up a 1"x3"x8" hard Arkansas at Woodcraft the other day, at 75% off. Have
to use it with water instead of oil to keep from fouling up the water
stones.

I use a drop of detergent on it after the arkansas stone is wetted
with water. it seems to keep the metal waste from packing down in the
pores of the stone.

What kind of detergent, exactly? My hard Arkansas stones are getting
a little clogged.

the same stuff I use for washing dishes. I do most of my sharpening at
the sink anyway, so water and detergent are my default honing fluids.
sometimes if I'm in the shop sharpening, especially with a hard white
arkansas stone I'll use paint thinner, but most of the time even with
that stone I'll use water.