foggytown

Default Another (hopefully) helpful tip

When working with power tools (especially sanders) keep a shallow bowl
nearby with a bit of water and a sponge. Power tools generate wood
dust and, when it gets on the hands, the fingers lose some grip and can
actually become slippery. Not a good thing when you're holding
something razor sharp turning at 8000 RPM.

So every so often just pat the top of the sponge with both hands to get
them moist and rub them together briskly to dry them. You'll have a
lot surer grip on the tool after you do.

FoggyTown

David

foggytown wrote:

When working with power tools (especially sanders) keep a shallow bowl
nearby with a bit of water and a sponge. Power tools generate wood
dust and, when it gets on the hands, the fingers lose some grip and can
actually become slippery. Not a good thing when you're holding
something razor sharp turning at 8000 RPM.

So every so often just pat the top of the sponge with both hands to get
them moist and rub them together briskly to dry them. You'll have a
lot surer grip on the tool after you do.

FoggyTown

When I'm using my push blocks, I wipe their foam pads off with the palm
of my hands to increase their grip; the tiny bit of moisture and removal
of excess wood dust helps prevent slippage.

Dave
mac davis

On 31 Jul 2005 10:34:09 -0700, "foggytown" wrote:

When working with power tools (especially sanders) keep a shallow bowl
nearby with a bit of water and a sponge. Power tools generate wood
dust and, when it gets on the hands, the fingers lose some grip and can
actually become slippery. Not a good thing when you're holding
something razor sharp turning at 8000 RPM.

So every so often just pat the top of the sponge with both hands to get
them moist and rub them together briskly to dry them. You'll have a
lot surer grip on the tool after you do.

FoggyTown

No problem with that here on the left coast.. you wife your hands and forehead
frequently to avoid sweating all over your tools & wood..

I haven't been in my shop for 3 weeks now.. *sigh*
It's been 102 to 108 degrees for the last 23 days and too hot to work.. if there
is a breeze, it might cool off to about 70 by 10 pm.. (normal july temps are
97/60-65)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Glen

mac davis wrote:

No problem with that here on the left coast.. you wife your hands and forehead
frequently to avoid sweating all over your tools & wood..

I haven't been in my shop for 3 weeks now.. *sigh*
It's been 102 to 108 degrees for the last 23 days and too hot to work.. if there
is a breeze, it might cool off to about 70 by 10 pm.. (normal july temps are
97/60-65)

I feel your pain. I am in the "High Desert" myself and the 108-113 on a
daily basis gets old fast. Why am I up now, at 3:25 AM you ask? To get
a little shop time in while it is still cool (around 80)

Glen
mac davis

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 10:29:01 GMT, Glen wrote:

mac davis wrote:

No problem with that here on the left coast.. you wife your hands and forehead
frequently to avoid sweating all over your tools & wood..

I haven't been in my shop for 3 weeks now.. *sigh*
It's been 102 to 108 degrees for the last 23 days and too hot to work.. if there
is a breeze, it might cool off to about 70 by 10 pm.. (normal july temps are
97/60-65)

I feel your pain. I am in the "High Desert" myself and the 108-113 on a
daily basis gets old fast. Why am I up now, at 3:25 AM you ask? To get
a little shop time in while it is still cool (around 80)

Glen

Wow.. sounds worse that Fresno!
I've managed to get in an hour or 2 in the mornings, but as soon as the shop hit
90 or so about 10 am, it's time to quit..
It seems like anything over about 92 - 94 not only gets sweat all over my
projects, but I know that I'm not working as safely... time to quit for the day
and keep all my body parts!
The next shop WILL be air conditioned!!!!!!!!!!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Patriarch

mac davis wrote in
:

snip
Wow.. sounds worse that Fresno!
I've managed to get in an hour or 2 in the mornings, but as soon as
the shop hit 90 or so about 10 am, it's time to quit..
It seems like anything over about 92 - 94 not only gets sweat all over
my projects, but I know that I'm not working as safely... time to quit
for the day and keep all my body parts!
The next shop WILL be air conditioned!!!!!!!!!!

And some of that Fresno weather has been getting into the normally comfy
East Bay Area. The PITA is that I've been working on finishing the
bathroom project, and the glass shower door was really more like a kit. I
haven't worked that much with aluminum, and so didn't have all the tooling
and experience. And I work slowly, when it gets hot. And take a lot of
breaks.

But the shower stall is together and water tight as of 4:45 this afternoon.
Now out to the shop to finish sanding the face frames and drawer fronts
while the evening breeze blows a bit.

I haven't run the lathe in weeks.

Patriarch
mac davis

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 21:04:49 -0500, Patriarch
wrote:

mac davis wrote in
:

And some of that Fresno weather has been getting into the normally comfy
East Bay Area. The PITA is that I've been working on finishing the
bathroom project, and the glass shower door was really more like a kit. I
haven't worked that much with aluminum, and so didn't have all the tooling
and experience. And I work slowly, when it gets hot. And take a lot of
breaks.

But the shower stall is together and water tight as of 4:45 this afternoon.
Now out to the shop to finish sanding the face frames and drawer fronts
while the evening breeze blows a bit.

I haven't run the lathe in weeks.

Patriarch

Yep.. seems like the whole state is running at least 10 degrees hotter than
normal.. my son in Newark actually went to visit his brother in Benicia to cool
off...

At least you're getting your project done and can take a cold shower.. *g*

I got about 2 hours in last night... at about midnight... cooled off to under 90
by then...
We had so many fans going that we didn't need the DC... which was a good thing,
since I never run it after 10 pm.. mostly doing finish turning and sanding on
some of the June stuff..

It's probably good that I'm not doing much turning, with the air so hot and dry
things would be drying and cracking before I could get them trued.. lol

DIY boiler servicing peak man UK diy 17 April 16th 04 09:53 AM
question on finishes kaitlin Woodworking 9 August 21st 03 03:15 AM